Old 14-04-2007, 03:29 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Default What should I look for

We look forward to seeing your new pond! Be sure to take pics!

Jim

Old 14-04-2007, 04:47 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

In article ,
"Reel McKoi" wrote:

"Phyllis and Jim" wrote in message
oups.com...
Thanks for remembering underlaying carpets. That is really important
for liner safety.

Phyllis

=========================
And if usingf USED carpeting make sure to remove every last staple or tack.

With smaller ponds where you have tighter radius', I went for the store
bought underliner fabric. Cheap and easy to fold/manipulate.

Old 14-04-2007, 04:48 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

"Phyllis and Jim" wrote in message
oups.com...
Good points about tacks and chemicals. I think that a good liner
reduces problems from the chemicals. Tacks would be a real bummer!

Jim

==============================
I don't know that chemicals from old carpeting used outside the liner can
leak through to poison the fish. We didn't use old carpeting. We used
heavy cardboard covered in newspapers and old bed quilts. So far so good.
--

RM....
Frugal ponding since 1995.

Old 14-04-2007, 04:48 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

In article ,
Gill Passman wrote:

Reel McKoi wrote:

=========================
And if usingf USED carpeting make sure to remove every last staple or tack.

My major concern with using old carpeting (or even new) would be to
ensure what the backing is....some carpets have foam backing that can
become toxic to fish....now of course a good quality weave carpet would
not have these issues but then you need to look at what chemicals have
been used on the carpet itself - so many carpets these days are treated
with stuff to make them stain resistant etc. etc.

Just being cautious here.....but it is a true danger....

Gill

The pond underliner I bought has none of those issues, and much more
pliable than old carpet.
I got the Christy 15' wide 7 oz underlayment.
I use this with my Firestone 45 mil 15' wide liner

Old 14-04-2007, 05:50 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Fri, 13 Apr 2007 19:00:31 CST, Gill Passman
wrote:

My major concern with using old carpeting (or even new) would be to
ensure what the backing is....some carpets have foam backing that can
become toxic to fish....now of course a good quality weave carpet would
not have these issues but then you need to look at what chemicals have
been used on the carpet itself - so many carpets these days are treated
with stuff to make them stain resistant etc. etc.

Just being cautious here.....but it is a true danger.... Gill

If one was going to put the carpet where it was getting in or wet and run
off going into the pond, that might be a concern. Usually most carpet goes
on the bottom, up the sides, and then one has extra liner going under and
up amongst rocks or whatever is going to be around the pond. So no water
that has touched the carpet goes into the pond.

At the D.pond we used both foam underlay and carpeting. The "soil" out
there was more rocky than dirt, and the rocks had a lot of sharp edges. The
foam + carpet has made for a very cushy walk when one has to go in the pond
and work. ~ jan
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

Old 14-04-2007, 12:33 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

We put carpet under our falls and the berm ponds. The main pond is
cement. We are not aware of any problems with the carpet. It will not
leach anything into the ponds as it is under the liner.

Jim

Old 14-04-2007, 04:01 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

foam does not every come near the fish. it isnt going to migrate thru the
liner. It cant be toxic if padding is under the liner. Ingrid

Old 14-04-2007, 04:03 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

all my ponds have rug padding under the liner. padding is 100% synthetic
and doesnt rot. it is cheap to buy (used may have hidden staples which
would punture the liner). I tried the "old rug" and when we removed the
liner after a month is was all moldy and rotted and we found more staples.
Most important. padding bends easily to fit the contours of the pond, it is
light weight, it cuts like butter. rug is stiff, heavy.

I built 1.5 feet up from the ground using a stud wall and outdoor plywood.
is easy and cheap to do. Ingrid

Old 14-04-2007, 10:16 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

My major concern with using old carpeting (or even new) would be to
ensure what the backing is....some carpets have foam backing that can
become toxic to fish....now of course a good quality weave carpet would
not have these issues but then you need to look at what chemicals have
been used on the carpet itself - so many carpets these days are treated
with stuff to make them stain resistant etc. etc.

Just being cautious here.....but it is a true danger....

If the carpet is going under the liner , how would that be toxic to fish?
Gale :~)

Rate This Thread: