Old 10-04-2007, 09:31 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Default What should I look for

I want to put a pond in my yard this year roughly 8x10 36 depth. what
should I be looking for when buying a liner, i.e. thickness ect. Also any
suggestions on where to buy and what to buy or not to buy (name brands ect)
Also suggestions on filtration as well.

Any and all intelligent replies are welcomed, I really don't care if you've
forgotten more about ponds then I'll ever know as long as you can offer
something useful

Old 10-04-2007, 10:09 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Peter Pan wrote:
I want to put a pond in my yard this year roughly 8x10 36 depth. what
should I be looking for when buying a liner, i.e. thickness ect.
Also any suggestions on where to buy and what to buy or not to buy
(name brands ect) Also suggestions on filtration as well.

Any and all intelligent replies are welcomed, I really don't care if
you've forgotten more about ponds then I'll ever know as long as you
can offer something useful

Hi Peter
I'm guessing you are in the US, so I can only advise generally. Here in the
UK, liners come with 10/15/20 year guarantees. Buy something with a long
guarantee.....don't buy cheap!!
--
ßôyþëtë
London, UK

Old 10-04-2007, 11:54 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

"Peter Pan" wrote in message
. ..
I want to put a pond in my yard this year roughly 8x10 36 depth. what
should I be looking for when buying a liner, i.e. thickness ect. Also any
suggestions on where to buy and what to buy or not to buy (name brands ect)
Also suggestions on filtration as well.

Any and all intelligent replies are welcomed, I really don't care if
you've forgotten more about ponds then I'll ever know as long as you can
offer something useful

=========================
We're very happy with the Tetra EPDM liners we bought. They're 60 mil thick
and now 9 and 10 years old. I don't see them that thickness advertised any
more.

I also have the Tetra filters and UV lights but they old technology now.
Someone will recommend something much better I'm sure. BTW, the Tetra UV
lights weren't cheap but they can and do keep the water crystal clear.
--
RM....
Frugal ponding since 1995.

Old 11-04-2007, 01:14 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

roofing membrane, EPDM. 45 or 60 ml, 45 is easier to handle. also,
permalon is light weight but doesnt make nice pleats when turning corners.
for formal ponds with right angles, permalon can be folded very flat. for
sloping odd shaped ponds EPDM. Ingrid

Old 11-04-2007, 03:33 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Tue, 10 Apr 2007 14:31:56 CST, "Peter Pan" wrote:

I want to put a pond in my yard this year roughly 8x10 36 depth. what
should I be looking for when buying a liner, i.e. thickness ect. Also any
suggestions on where to buy and what to buy or not to buy (name brands ect)
Also suggestions on filtration as well.

Any and all intelligent replies are welcomed, I really don't care if you've
forgotten more about ponds then I'll ever know as long as you can offer
something useful

I used 45 ml EPDM. Filtration depends on what your plans for the pond are.
I was planning a water garden with few fish. You can visit my website and
see the DIY filter I put in, when "a few" turned into "many". :-)

If you're hoping for koi, go thru the liner with a bottom drain & skimmer.
Even though the lily pond is not planned to have koi, I still went thru the
liner so I wouldn't have to clean the whole bottom with the shop. Much
easier to do just the bottom of a barrel. ~ jan
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

Old 11-04-2007, 03:53 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Peter (!),

We went with the 45 mil roofing EDPM. It is a decade old and doing
very well. The 'certified' pond-safe, expensive pond liner is the
same thing. If you wanted, you could wash it off. No one that I am
aware of has noted any ill effects among their fish from the roofing
liner. Seams can be made as needed. Be careful with them.

Have fun.

Jim

Old 13-04-2007, 01:04 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Apr 10, 1:31 pm, "Peter Pan" wrote:
I want to put a pond in my yard this year roughly 8x10 36 depth. what
should I be looking for when buying a liner, i.e. thickness ect. Also any
suggestions on where to buy and what to buy or not to buy (name brands ect)
Also suggestions on filtration as well.

Any and all intelligent replies are welcomed, I really don't care if you've
forgotten more about ponds then I'll ever know as long as you can offer
something useful

Hello Peter,
haven't seen anyone mention it but folks used to put old carpet under
the liner for extra protection from punctures. Just a thought.
Randy

Old 13-04-2007, 03:46 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Thanks for remembering underlaying carpets. That is really important
for liner safety.

Phyllis

Old 13-04-2007, 07:30 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

"Phyllis and Jim" wrote in message
oups.com...
Thanks for remembering underlaying carpets. That is really important
for liner safety.

Phyllis

=========================
And if usingf USED carpeting make sure to remove every last staple or tack.
--

RM....
Frugal ponding since 1995.

Old 13-04-2007, 10:16 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

"~ jan" wrote in message
On Thu, 12 Apr 2007 18:04:52 CST, wrote:

Hello Peter,
haven't seen anyone mention it but folks used to put old carpet under
the liner for extra protection from punctures. Just a thought.
Randy

Randy!!!! How are you!!! If I remember right, last I'd heard you were
living in an apartment with no pond? How is life, better I hope?

Good idea about the fabric.

One of our members used those blocks and raised his pond at least 12". I
don't know if he used fabric or not behind them. ~ jan
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds:
www.jjspond.us

Again, it is good to see everyone having fun again. I raised my first liner
pond in 2005 with the landscape blocks about 2 feet. I used a tough
geotextile fabric as an underliner for the protection of the liner. You can
see pics at http://www.geocities.com/richtoybox/pondpage6.html

Old 14-04-2007, 02:00 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Peter Pan wrote:
I want to put a pond in my yard this year roughly 8x10 36 depth. what
should I be looking for when buying a liner, i.e. thickness ect. Also any
suggestions on where to buy and what to buy or not to buy (name brands ect)
Also suggestions on filtration as well.

Any and all intelligent replies are welcomed, I really don't care if you've
forgotten more about ponds then I'll ever know as long as you can offer
something useful

Hi Peter,

Great to see you over here :-) I'm pretty much on your level - I had a
pond a few years ago that we filled in because of the little one.....but
she can swim now.....with the original pond I went for sand, pond lining
fabric and then a good quality butyl....I do know that other options can
come in cheaper but I was happier doing it this way.....We are looking
at putting in our new pond this year (after we get over the expense of
the 100g reef tank) - it will be similar in size so it will be fun to
share our experiences on this group :-)

Gill

Old 14-04-2007, 02:00 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Reel McKoi wrote:

=========================
And if usingf USED carpeting make sure to remove every last staple or tack.

My major concern with using old carpeting (or even new) would be to
ensure what the backing is....some carpets have foam backing that can
become toxic to fish....now of course a good quality weave carpet would
not have these issues but then you need to look at what chemicals have
been used on the carpet itself - so many carpets these days are treated
with stuff to make them stain resistant etc. etc.

Just being cautious here.....but it is a true danger....

Gill

Old 14-04-2007, 02:18 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Good points about tacks and chemicals. I think that a good liner
reduces problems from the chemicals. Tacks would be a real bummer!

Jim

Rate This Thread: