Old 16-04-2007, 02:04 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Default Scared fish, string algae and thank you for moderating

It is better to use floating food for koi. And koi are hot herbivores.
They mostly need protein and fats supplied by the little critters that feed
on the algae. If the pond isnt big enough there wont be enough. Ingrid

"RG" wrote in message
ups.com...
Think I should use Koi food that sinks (if so, brand suggestion?) or
can I just not feed them and let them eat all that algae?

Old 02-05-2007, 05:18 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

My fish have been hiding and bottom-swimming. I have had what I
thought was an "ich" problem and have been treating the water for
three days. One of the adults had a white spot near his eye.

This morning I got up and my pond has been ravaged. There was a net
covering the deepest half which the two adults were very accustomed
to. I had just added 4 "babies" that were about 5" each. They were co-
habiting fine except the big ones didn't let the little ones eat. The
little ones have stayed around one pot and hid in a separate corner.

Anyway, this morning all pots over turned. The one plant that had
really taken hold has literally been sheared at the roots - almost
ripped out. I can only imagine whatever it was pulled it out trying
to get at the fish. I see the two adults but do not see the babies.
I am hoping they managed to hide under the debris.

I have called the city to get some advice but would love any thoughts
from the group.

On Apr 15, 10:29 pm, "RG" wrote:
On Apr 14, 7:29 am, "drsolo" wrote:

when fish are on the bottom, there is apredator. However, Jan is correct,
a new fish bringing in disease can make all the fish sick and particularily
ich sends fish to the bottom. If you dont do something to protect fish from
predators then dont encourage them to the surface with food either. Ingrid

Old 02-05-2007, 07:59 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Looks like a raccoon visit to me.
Raccoons will mess with plants while looking for
snails, insect larva and crawdads (something they will find in
natural ponds and they don't know yours is not
natural). Raccoons will eat just about anything they
can get their paws which is why they've adapted so
wonderfully to suburban life.

Stuff that will work to deter them ~

- rent a humane trap from animal control and follow
their directives.

- put in an electric shock 'Fido Fence'.

- set up a motion activated sprinkler.

- netting the pond.

All these methods will work, depending on the set
up of your pond and your particular predator. Sometimes
you have to try a few, unfortunately, and that can add up.

Around here our two visiting raccoons ran smack into
two indignant labradors and spent the balance of their
visit up in a tree.

k :-)

Old 03-05-2007, 11:20 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Wed, 2 May 2007 10:18:26 CST, chereena wrote:

My fish have been hiding and bottom-swimming. I have had what I
thought was an "ich" problem and have been treating the water for
three days. One of the adults had a white spot near his eye.

This morning I got up and my pond has been ravaged. There was a net
covering the deepest half which the two adults were very accustomed
to. I had just added 4 "babies" that were about 5" each. They were co-
habiting fine except the big ones didn't let the little ones eat. The
little ones have stayed around one pot and hid in a separate corner.

Anyway, this morning all pots over turned. The one plant that had
really taken hold has literally been sheared at the roots - almost
ripped out. I can only imagine whatever it was pulled it out trying
to get at the fish. I see the two adults but do not see the babies.
I am hoping they managed to hide under the debris.

I agree with raccoon. I had similar happen here. I put a Scarecrow Motion
sprinkler on both my ponds and that took care of the problem:

http://www.contech-inc.com/products/scarecrow/
Do google for best price.
~ jan
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

Rate This Thread:

[IMG] code is On

Easy to see, Expat owns John Smith and John Smith is ExpatsPuppet on a String! hahahaha ..... Dance Johnny boy.. dance you fool!John Smith the puppet on a string John Smith[_5_] Ponds 0 07-09-2008 04:42 PM
Rec.gardens and Moderating Bill[_13_] Gardening 11 19-07-2008 01:59 AM
the feathers, channels, and discussions are all scared and nineteenth-century john winston Ponds 0 25-12-2007 07:51 PM
Scared Fish Smitty Ponds (moderated) 0 26-04-2007 03:55 AM
scared fish Chrislette Cherveny Ponds 2 08-07-2006 01:58 PM