Old 16-04-2007, 02:14 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Default Pergola finished........

RM is right. We imported them and made a mistake. They have thrived
and are considered vermin as a non-native species that threaten native
birds.

Like the rock doves we brought over...think pigeons!

Jim

Old 16-04-2007, 03:14 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

BoyPete wrote:

Reel McKoi wrote:
"Hal" wrote in message
I'd try to keep it a secret, or move it away from the pond. I have a
few that visit my pond for water and am sure they bring in some
parasites, but I can't shoot them it is too close.

==============================
If you're in the USA the only birds I am ware of that you can
legally shoot are the English Sparrows and the European Starlings.

HUH!! What's wrong with our sparrows and starlings?

They're disgusting pests, that belong on your side of the pond (where, as I
recall, they weren't disgusting pests). I was only 11 when I left England,
so my recollection could be wrong, but I don't remember seeing flocks of
several hundred, to thousands, of starlings. House sparrows kill many of
the birds that compete (poorly) for similar food and shelter. I used to
put up nest boxes for Tree Swallows, but it got too depressing when I kept
finding them dead, killed by House Sparrows.
--
derek
- Unless otherwise noted, I speak for myself, not rec.ponds.moderated

Old 16-04-2007, 10:31 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

"Derek Broughton" wrote in message
They're disgusting pests, that belong on your side of the pond (where, as
recall, they weren't disgusting pests). I was only 11 when I left
England,
so my recollection could be wrong, but I don't remember seeing flocks of
several hundred, to thousands, of starlings. House sparrows kill many of
the birds that compete (poorly) for similar food and shelter. I used to
put up nest boxes for Tree Swallows, but it got too depressing when I kept
finding them dead, killed by House Sparrows.

==========================
We've always had huge monster flocks of noisy poop-producing starlings here
in TN, but for the first time since I moved here in 1979, I now see English
sparrows outside the cities. They'd hang around fast food restaurant
parking lots and munch everything from greasy French fries people dropped to
rotten burgers in the dumpsters. I almost always see a few in the Wal*Mart
parking lot. Now that it's building up out here in the boondocks, I've seen
a few of them on my feeders. The invasion has begun........
--
RM....
Frugal ponding since 1995.

Rate This Thread: