Old 16-04-2007, 02:57 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Default Making a Fibreglass Pond/Feature

I wonder if anyone has experience with this and if they could offer any advice

- materials

- preparation

- what to use / avoid

- techniques

- joining pipework to pond

The layout I am considering is a water feature which will stand about 1m
tall, over flowing through a waterfall into a shallow stream and leading
into the main pond, which will be about (surface) 2.5 x 3.5m and a varying
depth to a maximum of 1.5m. To help with the filtration I will include an
off the shelf system, but feel that the water feature can flow through a
small pool that is loaded with some suitable planting to help naturally clean
the water.

So the areas that I would be looking at is includes :

-- water feature sat on top of a "tray" .

-- plant pool

-- waterfall

-- stream (about 3m long and 30cm wide)

-- pond

Any help appreciated.

Sean

Old 17-04-2007, 05:05 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Mon, 16 Apr 2007 07:57:08 CST, Sean Anderson wrote:

[...]

Hi Sean, My first question is, do you plan to do the work yourself or hire
it done? I'm assuming the former, but if the later, you might want to look
into that new blow on liner and price compare. Anyone remember the name of
that stuff by chance? ~ jan

------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

Old 17-04-2007, 03:53 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

"~ jan" wrote in message
[...]

Planning to do this myself.

It will be the second pond (moved house).

Old 17-04-2007, 09:51 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Hi Sean,
I have stripped and re-fiberglassed the tiller on my sailboat and the
cloth was very easy to form into any shape. Then slapped on the
hardener (could be colored).
For a pond a flange could be inserted into hole cut in cloth where
needed for pipes before putting the goop on. Then I am sure some kind
of safe sealer would need to be applied that would be non-toxic.
Cement pond owners have to seal from bad stuff too.
Hope your ground does not freeze as some hard ponds have been pushed
up in deep freeze. Just some thoughts. Randy

Old 18-04-2007, 10:44 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

"randyinaloha" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi Sean,
I have stripped and re-fiberglassed the tiller on my sailboat and the
cloth was very easy to form into any shape. Then slapped on the
hardener (could be colored).
For a pond a flange could be inserted into hole cut in cloth where
needed for pipes before putting the goop on. Then I am sure some kind
of safe sealer would need to be applied that would be non-toxic.
Cement pond owners have to seal from bad stuff too.
Hope your ground does not freeze as some hard ponds have been pushed
up in deep freeze. Just some thoughts. Randy

From what I gather, it's pretty easy to construct with fibreglass and if I

start with the easier (and smaller) sections of the project, if I make a
balls up, it's not going to cost me an arm and a leg in materials having a
couple of attempts.

We do get a freeze during the winter, but in general it's pretty mild here.
As I am building a base from concrete and block which will be proportionally
sturdy to the amount it will contain, I doubt that I will suffer much
movement.

Thanks for the info.

Rate This Thread:

[IMG] code is On

Mossies in water feature Teddy Australia 19 05-12-2004 01:09 AM
How to protect the pond from rock water feature?! Dave Ponds (alternative) 4 03-06-2003 01:20 PM
How to protect the pond from rock water feature?! Dave Ponds 3 03-06-2003 07:44 AM
Water feature gary linley Gardening 5 29-03-2003 04:56 AM
Water Feature gary linley Gardening 3 18-03-2003 10:32 AM