Old 19-04-2007, 04:50 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Default The snake

"Kurt" wrote in message
In article
,
"Gail Futoran" wrote:

"Galen Hekhuis" wrote in message
I am not particularly afraid of snakes, but I'm not an extreme
snake
lover either, and I don't keep any snakey pets. Sure, I know
some
of
them can hurt you, but by far most of them are quite harmless. I
can
positively identify the relatively few venomous snakes that live
in
this part of northern Florida. Anyway, this wasn't one of them.
It
was 3-4 ft long, and it was in the water. About the only thing
that
was dangerous would be a cottonmouth, and it was too sleek for
that.
cottonmouth big enough to be that long would be rather fat also.
Besides, as I got closer the head was all wrong and the snake was
uniformly black except for it's white chin and throat and brown
lips
which made it most likely a southern black racer, but not being
any
sort of snake expert, this is only a guess. I stopped to watch
it,
but it seemed to want to play a game of who could stay still the
longest, and it won when I got bored and went inside. Later that
afternoon I was fussing around the pond again, and saw the snake
again. It had made it about a quarter of the way around the pond
(25-30 feet), but was still pretty intent on remaining mostly
motionless, a game I didn't find too exciting. This morning to
my
surprise it was still there, head above water by the edge of the
pond.
Now I'm not especially worried about snakes, and I don't have any
fish. There are some pretty big tadpoles, and some large
swimming
beetles I've seen, but it has got to be pretty slim pickings for
snake that size. The question is, if it hangs around, what do
y'all
suggest I name it?
--
Galen Hekhuis
Illiterate? Write for FREE help

You could name it Kurt. (movie ref).

Oh thank you...

Kurt Russell, actor. Played the character
Snake in the 1981 movie "Escape from New
York" and the 1996 movie "Escape from
LA". Don't take my word for it, here are links:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0082340/
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0116225/

Russell might well have appeared in another
movie as Snake but those are the only two
I'm familiar with.

I do see snakes in my in-ground pond
occasionally, but they don't seem to bother
the goldfish, or at least not the larger ones.
I don't mind if they cull the fry.

Gail Futoran

Old 19-04-2007, 05:27 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Rhinelander? Home of the Hodag?

"kat ^.^" wrote in message
in Rhinelander

Old 20-04-2007, 02:22 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Klatch wrote:

Name? *No arms? *No legs? *In the water? *BOB!

Damn. I just posted that. You beat me...
--
derek
- Unless otherwise noted, I speak for myself, not rec.ponds.moderated

Old 20-04-2007, 02:22 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Galen Hekhuis wrote:

On Wed, 18 Apr 2007 02:55:07 CST, Cyli wrote:

I'd suggest you call it Sssssusssssan.

I probably ought to name it some gender less name. As soon as I named
it Sssssusssssan it would probably turn out to be a Ssssssam.

Ssssssam is pretty well genderless these days.

Old 20-04-2007, 02:22 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Chris Barnes wrote:

Galen Hekhuis wrote:
The question is, if it hangs around, what do y'all
suggest I name it?

Around our house, all snakes are named "Bob".

As in "what do you call a reptile with no arms and no legs in a pond?"

Old 20-04-2007, 03:47 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

In article
,
"Gail Futoran" wrote:

"Kurt" wrote in message
In article
,

I'd prefer a snake names after me.

Old 20-04-2007, 04:13 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Derek Broughton wrote:
Chris Barnes wrote:

Galen Hekhuis wrote:
The question is, if it hangs around, what do y'all
suggest I name it?

Around our house, all snakes are named "Bob".

As in "what do you call a reptile with no arms and no legs in a pond?"

I admit that is pretty funny - but it never occurred to us. All of the
snakes we've found thus far have been "land dwellers" (with a couple that
like to live in trees).

--

+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +
Chris Barnes AOL IM: CNBarnes

Old 21-04-2007, 03:22 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Apr 19, 11:27 am, "drsolo" wrote:
Rhinelander? Home of the Hodag?

"kat ^.^" wrote in message

in Rhinelander

That very town. You know the hodag? Tell me more.
kat ^.^
in Rhinelander

Old 21-04-2007, 04:03 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Apr 19, 11:27 am, "drsolo" wrote:
Rhinelander? Home of the Hodag?

"kat ^.^" wrote in message

in Rhinelander

(tried this earlier, don't see it, and OE is acting out)
yup, that's the one. You speak Hodag?
kat ^.^
in Rhinelander

Old 21-04-2007, 10:18 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Thu, 19 Apr 2007 09:14:33 CST, "kat ^.^"
wrote:

I like that. Better than SsssorcereSSSS: animal hypnotist.
Hi Cyli!!!
Fancy meeting you here!
kat ^.^
in Rhinelander

I saw all the fuss and the creation over in news.groups and decided to
drop in. This is pretty much as I remember it before the gruesome
twosome sucked people into their black hole of trolldom.

I get around a lot of odd places and groups. Some interest in ponds
because my (recently moved) neighbor had a tiny plastic pond on her
deck for a couple of years and because there's a drainage and holding
pond of about 1 / 2 to 1 acre out my back window. I suspect the
neighbor got rid of her excess fish each fall by putting them in the
drainage pond, because about two or three years ago it began to be
carpeted in goldfish.
--

r.bc: vixen
Minnow goddess, Speaker to squirrels, willow watcher.

http://www.visi.com/~cyli

Old 21-04-2007, 03:28 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Nice to have you drop by. We too are enjoying the group being about
as it was before the conflicts.

Your drainage pond sounds quite something. Can the goldies be washed
down stream? It would be sad to have them launched to compete with
the natives.

Jim

Old 21-04-2007, 04:16 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

"Phyllis and Jim" wrote in message
ups.com...
Nice to have you drop by. We too are enjoying the group being about
as it was before the conflicts.

Your drainage pond sounds quite something. Can the goldies be washed
down stream? It would be sad to have them launched to compete with
the natives.

Jim

Not only sad, but in most jurisdictions it is illegal to release non-native
species into the wild.

Old 21-04-2007, 05:00 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

wrote:

[...]

Like Phyllis and Jim say, I hope they don't escape. That's why I haven't
put goldfish or the like in our pond (maybe 1/3 acre, dug out of the swamp).
Even though there's little chance they'd get into the creek, it's not worth
the gamble.
Bet it's cool, though, watching all the little goldies.

The ice is officially off of our pond now--hurrah!
--
kat ^.^
Welcome to Malaria Gardens

Rate This Thread:

[IMG] code is On

white snake - white snake.jpg Persephone Garden Photos 1 26-04-2007 10:54 PM
Water Snake = Grass Snake? Terry Pinnell United Kingdom 1 15-06-2005 09:11 AM
Snake--- cool snake story... Gareee© Ponds 0 04-05-2004 02:02 PM
Snake repellent PacKat Gardening 8 03-06-2003 12:44 AM
Snake Traps [safe for you & wont harm the snake] james North Carolina 0 26-04-2003 02:56 AM