Old 18-04-2007, 08:09 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Default Pump/Filter Buying Advice

The pump on my pond has stopped working and I'd like to buy a replacement
and also a biofilter. I'm quite new to ponding so would like to hear your
advice and recommendations.

The pond is approx 4500 litres, is about 70cm deep at its deepest, has full
sun all day and is quite densely populated with goldfish. You may have
guessed already that it is also densely populated with algae too! There are
a few plants but there are quite a lot of oxygenators. There is a waterfall
and series of cascades the outlet to which is approx 20 feet away and about
4 feet higher than the water level with a 1 inch pipe between.

I don't run the waterfall very often and wonder if it might be better to
have a separate pump for the biofilter or if it is better to have one pump
but with an outlet for each. I suppose alternatively I could try to locate
the biofilter at the top of the waterfall which would deal with both jobs. I
was also thinking of getting a biofilter with a UV lamp to deal with the
algae.

What do you think?

Steve

Old 18-04-2007, 10:31 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

"Steve" wrote in message

brevity snips

I don't run the waterfall very often and wonder if it might be better to
have a separate pump for the biofilter or if it is better to have one pump
but with an outlet for each. I suppose alternatively I could try to locate
the biofilter at the top of the waterfall which would deal with both jobs.
I was also thinking of getting a biofilter with a UV lamp to deal with the
algae.

======================
I'll skip giving advice on pumps and filters as I'm not qualified to do so.
As for the goldfish population - if you keep no more than 4 or 5 real nice
ones per 100g the water quality would be better and there would be less
algae. Goldfish breed like crazy and do get large. They eat a lot and pass
a lot of feces to feed the algae.

The UV lights do work! But then my ponds and grow-out tanks are not too
crowded and do contain plants. Plants compete with the algae for nutrients
and are attractive additions to any pond.
--

RM....
Frugal ponding since 1995.

Old 19-04-2007, 04:01 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

"Steve" wrote in message
I don't run the waterfall very often and wonder if it might be better to
have a separate pump for the biofilter or if it is better to have one pump
but with an outlet for each. I suppose alternatively I could try to locate
the biofilter at the top of the waterfall which would deal with both jobs. I
was also thinking of getting a biofilter with a UV lamp to deal with the
algae. Steve

Click on *My Filter* (website in sig.line) and check that out, I use it on
a 1500 and the 2000 gallon Demon Pond. Scroll to the bottom and there are
some smaller filters. I'm planning a 2 barrel system on my 1000 gallon/4500
liter lily pond.

I highly recommend keeping the filter out of the pond. Veggie filters are
always cool. :-) ~ jan
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

Old 19-04-2007, 02:59 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Default veggie filter

I am ready to put together a filter page on the web. Anyone who is
interested please send me

pictures (sequential if living in temperate climes)
description (in the email please, not as attachment)
list of plants (unless a picture is labeled)
what sized pond in gallons, number of fish
your name and general location (unless you want anonymoty)

thanks. Ingrid

Old 19-04-2007, 05:26 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Apr 19, 8:59 am, "drsolo" wrote:
I am ready to put together a filter page on the web. Anyone who is
interested please send me

pictures (sequential if living in temperate climes)
description (in the email please, not as attachment)
list of plants (unless a picture is labeled)
what sized pond in gallons, number of fish
your name and general location (unless you want anonymoty)

thanks. Ingrid

Ingrid,

I like your idea.

I am not sure what pics you want. Our 'system' would include deep
well intake (cannot do photo as it is under water), the valves,
barrel, two sequential ponds, return waterfalls, return stream.

Jim

Old 20-04-2007, 09:04 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

pictures of just the veggie filter, depth and what is growing in the filter.
a description of the rest. Ingrid

"Phyllis and Jim" wrote in message
ps.com...
On Apr 19, 8:59 am, "drsolo" wrote:
I am ready to put together a filter page on the web. Anyone who is
interested please send me

pictures (sequential if living in temperate climes)
description (in the email please, not as attachment)
list of plants (unless a picture is labeled)
what sized pond in gallons, number of fish
your name and general location (unless you want anonymoty)

thanks. Ingrid

Ingrid,

I like your idea.

I am not sure what pics you want. Our 'system' would include deep
well intake (cannot do photo as it is under water), the valves,
barrel, two sequential ponds, return waterfalls, return stream.

Jim

Rate This Thread: