Old 19-04-2007, 10:34 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Default starting pump for spring and worried about fish and frogs

Hi
Im starting my pump up probably tonight. Water is pretty murky from
winter, wanted to make sure there arent any fish orfrogs hanging out
in the bottom drain. Any advice?
My bottom drain is just some 3" hosing running over the liner running
to a retro bottom drain.
Any suggestions?

Old 19-04-2007, 10:49 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

My first thought would be to take a broom and
poke gently around to dislodge anything in the
way. Or jiggle the plug around so you get a few
starts and stops to startle the resident critters
into moving.

k :-)

Old 20-04-2007, 11:46 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Well
I stirred things up a bit before hooking up the hose and running the
pump and no fishies in the leaf trap. Did however pull up a dead frog
(yes he was dead before being pulled up, part of it was skeletel) I
wonder if the fishies tried to eat him? His legs were pretty whole,
but his upper body was only bones. I know I know, gross, imagine how
much find it was cleaning up.

Now onto the worst part of the exercice, yes worse than a half
skeletel frog.......
After connecting everying up, and getting the waterfall flowing and
feeling pretty good about it...I notice my wedding rind is missing!
Took everything apart, seached as much as I could in the little
daylight that was left but this has got to be the worst activity for
losing ones wedding ring in. Between the fact that it could have
actually fallen INTO the pond or my skippy filter, all of the water
that I was spilling all over and potentialy burying the ring in mud,
and all of the moving edging rocks around, this thing could be
anywhere! Iv lost a bit of weight recently and it has been loose but
I am in shock that I didnt feel it falling off. Im thinking/hoping it
was while screwing pvc parts of my pump/filter setup together that it
came off or whie moving rocks as those are the only two things I can
think would have pulled on the ring. Got a friend who is going to
come by with a metal detetor but Im getting conflicting reports as to
how well titanium is detected by a metal detector. Wish me luck
everyone and dont ever make the same mistake. Wife is being very
understanding....Thank God

On Apr 19, 11:40 pm, ~ jan wrote:
On Thu, 19 Apr 2007 14:34:30 CST, wrote:

Hi
Im starting my pump up probably tonight. Water is pretty murky from
winter, wanted to make sure there arent any fish orfrogs hanging out
in the bottom drain. Any advice?
My bottom drain is just some 3" hosing running over the liner running
to a retro bottom drain.
Any suggestions?

Could you flush the hosing with a garden hose perhaps, or is it permanently
hooked to the pump? ~ jan
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds:www.jjspond.us

Old 21-04-2007, 12:07 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Now that is a bummer. I hope you find it! Is the bottom mud or
liner? Liner has more hope, I think.
Jim

Old 22-04-2007, 01:49 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Liner, ill let everyone know how I male out. Waterfall is flowing
nicely now. Unfortunatly one of my goldfish just turned up floating.
Tail is all black seems to have been dead a while. Why would he all
of a sudden start floating? He definatly wasn't there yesterday

Old 22-04-2007, 05:42 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Phyllis and Jim wrote:
Now that is a bummer. I hope you find it! Is the bottom mud or
liner? Liner has more hope, I think.
Jim

Takes a while for the decomposition gasses to build up enough to float
the body?
--

r.bc: vixen
Minnow goddess, Speaker to squirrels, willow watcher.

http://www.visi.com/~cyli

Old 22-04-2007, 07:44 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

wrote:

Unfortunatly one of my goldfish just turned up floating.
Tail is all black seems to have been dead a while. Why would he all
of a sudden start floating? He definatly wasn't there yesterday

Takes a while for the decomposition gasses to build up enough to float
the body?

Especially in Spring - the bacteria that cause the decomposition aren't very
active, yet, either.
--
derek
- Unless otherwise noted, I speak for myself, not rec.ponds.moderated

Old 23-04-2007, 12:39 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

wrote:

Unfortunatly one of my goldfish just turned up floating.
Tail is all black seems to have been dead a while. Why would he all
of a sudden start floating? He definatly wasn't there yesterday

Takes a while for the decomposition gasses to build up enough to float
the body?

Especially in Spring - the bacteria that cause the decomposition aren't
very
active, yet, either.
--
derek
- Unless otherwise noted, I speak for myself, not rec.ponds.moderated
moderators.

I'm not saying a word. Not a word. It's a mystery where we pick up these
little tidbits, mmmm?
--
kat ^.^
Welcome to Malaria Gardens

Old 23-04-2007, 08:02 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

wrote:

Unfortunatly one of my goldfish just turned up floating.
Tail is all black seems to have been dead a while. Why would he all
of a sudden start floating? He definatly wasn't there yesterday

Takes a while for the decomposition gasses to build up enough to float
the body?

Especially in Spring - the bacteria that cause the decomposition aren't
very
active, yet, either.
--
derek
- Unless otherwise noted, I speak for myself, not rec.ponds.moderated
moderators.

I'm not saying a word. Not a word. It's a mystery where we pick up these
little tidbits, mmmm?

Actually I got it from the news back before reporters made sure what
the sheriff or ranger was going to say about why the body that was
known to be in the Mississippi hadn't shown up yet and _then_ asked
the question on the air. When they got to the part about belly and
intestines and gasses, I didn't have to be psychic to imagine people
all over the midwest staring at their dinners and trying not to gag.

Old 23-04-2007, 03:15 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Actually I got it from the news back before reporters made sure what
the sheriff or ranger was going to say about why the body that was
known to be in the Mississippi hadn't shown up yet and _then_ asked
the question on the air.

Body in Mississippi... Thanks, Derek. (Smiley face)

Old 23-04-2007, 09:15 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Phyllis and Jim wrote:

Actually I got it from the news back before reporters made sure what
the sheriff or ranger was going to say about why the body that was
known to be in the Mississippi hadn't shown up yet and _then_ asked
the question on the air.

Body in Mississippi... Thanks, Derek. (Smiley face)

Hey, I didn't bring it up...

Old 23-04-2007, 09:15 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

wrote:

[...]

In my case, it is, indeed a mystery (or rather Mysteries). Too much
reading... The latest one on the subject had the assassin using a knife to
cut holes all over the body to stop the gasses collecting.

Though knowing that decomposition doesn't happen very fast in Winter/Spring
is pretty obvious to anybody who has a northern pond for long. You find
things in Spring that must have landed in the pond after you finished
prepping in the Fall, and they're hardly decomposed.
--
derek
- Unless otherwise noted, I speak for myself, not rec.ponds.moderated
moderators.

Rate This Thread: