Old 20-04-2007, 08:34 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Default Pond Vacuum

I have a 200+ gal pond under some oak trees and it gets a lot of debri.
I have tried to use a Shop-vac but it just fills up quickly and quits.
Can anyone give me any ideas on how to modify a Shop-vac, or how to build a
suction device that will get the leaves and other crap out of the bottom of
my pond?
If I can't build one for my own use, are there any good inexpensive ones
that anyone can recommend?

Old 21-04-2007, 10:16 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Fri, 20 Apr 2007 13:34:28 CST, "Fred T. Allen"
wrote:

I have a 200+ gal pond under some oak trees and it gets a lot of debri.
I have tried to use a Shop-vac but it just fills up quickly and quits.
Can anyone give me any ideas on how to modify a Shop-vac, or how to build a
suction device that will get the leaves and other crap out of the bottom of
my pond?
If I can't build one for my own use, are there any good inexpensive ones
that anyone can recommend?

How many gallons is your canister? I use a 12 gallon on my 5'X15' lily pond
~ 1,000 gallons and on my koi ponds and it works great. Perhaps using a
scoop net first and then vac? Did you remove the pleated filter? ~ jan
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

Old 21-04-2007, 03:28 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Yes, I have removed the filter - duh.
What I want is to "continuously" suck-up debris without the necessity of
emptying the vacume container.
Has anyone had success with the Muck-vac?

Old 21-04-2007, 10:36 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Sat, 21 Apr 2007 08:28:07 CST, "Fred T. Allen"
wrote:

Yes, I have removed the filter - duh.

I wasn't meaning to be flippant. I have met people who don't know this.

What I want is to "continuously" suck-up debris without the necessity of
emptying the vacume container.

Wouldn't we all. ;-) Only continuous vacs that I've heard of that do what
we want, get rid of the big stuff, not clog, nor use extensive amount of
fresh water, are ones people have made using pool pumps.

My shop vac has a little drain connection on the bottom, so it drains while
I do something else around the pond. If the drain connection clogs one can
put their hand over the vac end and turn on the vac, creating a reverse
suction thru the connection, clearing the clog. A little thin rod works
too. ;-) For a small pond, 1,000 gallons or less, I love mine. ~ jan
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

Old 21-04-2007, 11:30 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Fred T. Allen wrote:
I have a 200+ gal pond under some oak trees and it gets a lot of
debri. I have tried to use a Shop-vac but it just fills up quickly and
quits.
Can anyone give me any ideas on how to modify a Shop-vac, or how to
build a suction device that will get the leaves and other crap out of
the bottom of my pond?
If I can't build one for my own use, are there any good inexpensive
ones that anyone can recommend?

Visit ebay, and put in 'pond vacuums' in search.....
--
ßôyþëtë
London, UK

Old 24-04-2007, 05:45 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

In article ,
"Fred T. Allen" wrote:

Yes, I have removed the filter - duh.
What I want is to "continuously" suck-up debris without the necessity of
emptying the vacume container.
Has anyone had success with the Muck-vac?

Yes, I use a Muck Vac with my 800 gal pond. Also used it on my 200 gal
pond before that. Works great for the price. Bought it off eBay

Rate This Thread:

[IMG] code is On

Pond Vacuum Design bk Ponds 2 12-10-2004 07:14 PM
Pond Vacuum hire ....Bucks ? Tony M United Kingdom 25 11-06-2004 09:36 AM
Pond vacuum pixi Ponds 9 30-08-2003 10:12 PM
Lowe's Pond/Pool vacuum? Weldon Wallick Ponds 8 28-07-2003 02:12 AM
Pond vacuum/ no electriciry needed Jan Ponds 7 16-05-2003 04:56 PM