Old 20-04-2007, 08:37 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Default UV finally

Jim and I have used a UV for several years. Last year, the housing
had to be changed (Tetra made good on a faulty piece of equipment).
For the first part of the spring, we did not use the UV. Then the
water began to cloud. Now it has a greenish tinge. Jim decided to
change the bulb...after 2 years. When he opened it, he got a
surprise! He had forgotten to put the bulb in the new housing! NO UV
was definitely not enough to handle the early algae as the veggies are
kicking in. We expect clearer water in a few days.

Phyllis

Old 22-04-2007, 05:28 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Apr 20, 3:37 pm, Phyllis and Jim wrote:
Jim and I have used a UV for several years. Last year, the housing
had to be changed (Tetra made good on a faulty piece of equipment).
For the first part of the spring, we did not use the UV. Then the
water began to cloud. Now it has a greenish tinge. Jim decided to
change the bulb...after 2 years. When he opened it, he got a
surprise! He had forgotten to put the bulb in the new housing! NO UV
was definitely not enough to handle the early algae as the veggies are
kicking in. We expect clearer water in a few days.

Phyllis

OMG, that is so funny, I'm glad we're not the only ditzes in the
world!! Hope the uv makes it gin clear. Our pond in DE is green,
green, green. The fish are eating well, and we're waiting for the
'bugs' in the filters to start working. Also some plants to help eat
the nutrients the algae like will be helpful. The water lilly is
putting out leaves, and I see water celery growing out of the pond so
will dig that up and pot it for the upper pond.. Prayerfully we will
be feeding and seeing more than fish noses!!

Nan

Old 22-04-2007, 07:30 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Our green is still in full swing. The filte5r hasn't done its thing
as yet. Generally has atken about a week to do it.

Jim thinks mabye the algae don't reproduce with the UV in place, but
don't die out either. He isn't sure. Maybe others will know the
answert to that.

The end result of the UV working is generally tea clear water rather
than gin clear. Actually, it is even less clear than that as some of
the particles do go through the veggie filters and the koi stir the
pond (24") steadily.

May yours clear to gin color.

Phyllis

Old 29-04-2007, 03:25 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Default UV did its thing - plants are trying to

Our UV did its thing yesterday. The water is 'tea' clear. You can
see to the bottom of the deep well (7'). It is amazing how those
work. Our hyacinth are not yet ready to take the nutrient load. They
have doubled in the last three weeks, but need to do so again and
perhaps another time yet before they will handle all the waste.

The water celery has filled its 4 x 4 pond and covered all the
duckweed in it. Jim scooped a lot out and tossed it in the main
pond. The koi view it as dinner!

Phyllis

Old 11-05-2007, 03:56 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Jim cut out the UV the day after the pond cleared. It has remained
totally clear...even clearer. The plants in the veggie filter are
doing their thing! How long will the UV last when it is used four
DAYS a year!

Phyllis

Old 11-05-2007, 10:11 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

veggie filters are amazing. no doubt about it. but I think my clear
water is due to the food I am feeding now and a dinky bucket filter.
my veggie filter is not really up and booting yet. Ingrid

Old 11-05-2007, 11:06 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

However we get there, it is nice to see the bottom of the pond and the
fish between.

Phyllis

Old 19-05-2007, 06:48 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

It is nearly a month later and the water is, if anything, clearer than
before. Even the small particles are being filtered by the plant
roots. Jim reports he can see the bottom of the deep well (7' down)
when he puts plant stakes in the lily pots. That is really clear
water. It is still tea color. That has been steady since the third
week we had the pond.

Phyllis

Rate This Thread: