Old 21-04-2007, 04:30 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Default Draining the pond...........

After our morning coffee we're draining the main (2000g) pond. We have to
do this yearly now to remove all the fry from the previous summer. We also
cull out one or two adults so the others have more space as they grow. It's
an all day job. The fry have to be culled into several groups at this time.
All the tubs are ready and waiting. I'm eager to see some of the fry
"close up." Anything really attractive will be held over. A lot of work
but fun! :-)
--

RM....
Frugal ponding since 1995.

Old 22-04-2007, 05:28 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Reel McKoi wrote:

After our morning coffee we're draining the main (2000g) pond. We have
to do this yearly now to remove all the fry from the previous summer. We
also cull out one or two adults so the others have more space as they
grow. It's an all day job. The fry have to be culled into several
groups at this time. All the tubs are ready and waiting. I'm eager to
see some of the fry "close up." Anything really attractive will be
held over. A lot of work but fun! :-)

Fry and adults of "what"?

Dean

Old 22-04-2007, 07:12 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

"Dean A. Markley" wrote in message
. ..
Reel McKoi wrote:

After our morning coffee we're draining the main (2000g) pond. We have
to do this yearly now to remove all the fry from the previous summer. We
also cull out one or two adults so the others have more space as they
grow. It's an all day job. The fry have to be culled into several
groups at this time. All the tubs are ready and waiting. I'm eager to
see some of the fry "close up." Anything really attractive will be held
over. A lot of work but fun! :-)

Fry and adults of "what"?

Dean

===================================
Koi, both short-fin and butterfly. The shubunkin goldfish are behind the
house in large 720g above ground pools.
--
RM....
Frugal ponding since 1995.

Old 22-04-2007, 07:50 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

How many koi do you have in the pond? How is it that your fry do so
well? Ours get eaten...tho I suspect it is the gambusia rather than
the koi that get most of them.

Jim

Old 23-04-2007, 12:08 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

"Phyllis and Jim" wrote in message
ups.com...
How many koi do you have in the pond?

* In the 2000g pond I started with about 16, maybe 18. I don't remember
anymore as it was years ago. Each year I removed on or two as they grew.
There are now 10, both short-fin and butterfly. The 800+g pond as 3 adult
butterflies and a small koi I kept over.

How is it that your fry do so
well?

* There are loads of plants in both ponds. They fry stay in the plants until
they're about an inch long. Then one day a school of them will be seen
venturing out into open water. The adults completely ignore them! They
soon learn to come out at feeding time for their flakes and/or crushed
pellets. :-)

Ours get eaten...tho I suspect it is the gambusia rather than
the koi that get most of them.

* I have never seen a koi eat a smaller fish. Perhaps if they were
starving...... I would think it's the gambusias.

--

RM....
Frugal ponding since 1995.

Old 09-05-2007, 04:53 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Apr 22, 7:08 pm, "Reel McKoi" wrote:
"Phyllis and Jim" wrote in oglegroups.com...

[...]

I'm betting it is the koi. In the 15 years we've had our pond we had 3
koi babies survive. Either all the eggs are being eaten or the adults
are eating the babies.
Nan

Old 09-05-2007, 05:54 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

"Olde Hippee" wrote in message
ups.com...

brevity snips

I'm betting it is the koi. In the 15 years we've had our pond we had 3
koi babies survive. Either all the eggs are being eaten or the adults
are eating the babies.
Nan

======================================
That's pretty amazing since every fall our ponds are crawling with koi fry.
We have no choice but to drain them down to catch and remove all these
little guys each spring. Mine seem to ignore the eggs in the plants after
spawning and as I said I have never seen one eat any babies. If a fry gets
sucked in with the pellets, the fry comes out but the pellets are swallowed.
Yet the koi will eat worms and grubs from the compost and garden. Most fry
stay away from the adults and stick close to the plants.
--
RM....
Frugal ponding since 1995.

Rate This Thread:

[IMG] code is On

Draining Your Pond Brett Fogle Ponds (alternative) 0 10-08-2003 05:42 PM
Draining pond Bob Ponds 12 15-07-2003 06:05 PM
Draining pond Bob Ponds 1 14-07-2003 06:42 PM
Pond keeps draining! D. Mahon Ponds 7 13-05-2003 03:44 PM
Draining my garden pond Brenda Gardening 6 29-03-2003 03:32 PM