Old 29-04-2007, 04:20 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Default Foam on the water - goldfish spawning

A couple of days ago, I went out to feed the fish. One berm pond has
four butterfly goldfish (all fins long) that I am trying to breed.
Two are shbunkins and two comets. Who knows what the offspring will
look like. I figure the odds favor having a pair with four there.

Well, when I put the food in, no one came. Unusual. Then I saw three
flash by in the 18" water. I recognized the formation: rear fish
nudging the front one. Breeding. Sure enough, foam began to show
where the water from that pond goes into the U-shaped falls. We are
surely having babies. Now, we will see if they survive the grown-ups
and the mosquito fish. Last year a few did.

The koi have not yet begun the chase routine. Last year they did it
just before we went on vacation.

Jim

Old 29-04-2007, 11:28 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

"Phyllis and Jim" wrote in message
oups.com...
A couple of days ago, I went out to feed the fish. One berm pond has
four butterfly goldfish (all fins long) that I am trying to breed.
Two are shbunkins and two comets. Who knows what the offspring will
look like. I figure the odds favor having a pair with four there.

Well, when I put the food in, no one came. Unusual. Then I saw three
flash by in the 18" water. I recognized the formation: rear fish
nudging the front one. Breeding. Sure enough, foam began to show
where the water from that pond goes into the U-shaped falls. We are
surely having babies. Now, we will see if they survive the grown-ups
and the mosquito fish. Last year a few did.

The koi have not yet begun the chase routine. Last year they did it
just before we went on vacation.

Jim

I noticed a few of my comets nudging and chasing one another yesterday. No
foam yet, at least I didn't see any. Might be some tomorrow.

George

Old 02-05-2007, 06:12 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

We noticed a lot more foam today. Not enough for koi breeding, but
surely another round of goldfish action. Jim is hoping it is the long-
finned ones he has oin the berm pond rather than the ones in the main
pond.

Does anyone know if koi tend to spawn later than goldfish?

Phyllis

Rate This Thread:

[IMG] code is On

spawning and pond foam ?s rasta Ponds 1 07-05-2004 04:03 PM
Using Foam to seal between rocks in a water fall Mickey Ponds 7 28-04-2004 03:04 AM
Layer of foam on water Phil Dietz Freshwater Aquaria Plants 13 17-12-2003 03:33 AM
Spawning Part II MPEG Video of My Koi spawning are now on mad Ponds 0 29-03-2003 03:32 PM
Spawning Part II MPEG Video of My Koi spawning are now on line. Just Me \Koi\ Ponds 7 28-03-2003 05:32 AM