Old 29-04-2007, 11:52 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
RG RG is offline

Default Fish ailment?

We've got a 400 gallon pond with some goldfish and koi in it; it's
been going for about 3 years.

This afternoon we noticed some of our goldfish had a number of small
white bumps on their gills, as if they had white sand sprinkled
there.

Is this a disease I should do something about, or is it a new fish
fashion?

--RG, San Francisco

Old 30-04-2007, 03:38 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

"RG" wrote in message
oups.com...
We've got a 400 gallon pond with some goldfish and koi in it; it's
been going for about 3 years.

This afternoon we noticed some of our goldfish had a number of small
white bumps on their gills, as if they had white sand sprinkled
there.

Is this a disease I should do something about, or is it a new fish
fashion?

==============================
Male goldfish get these during the breeding season. I never noticed them on
my koi. It's not a disease.
--
RM....
Frugal ponding since 1995.

Old 30-04-2007, 09:09 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Sun, 29 Apr 2007 16:52:29 CST, RG wrote:

We've got a 400 gallon pond with some goldfish and koi in it; it's
been going for about 3 years.

This afternoon we noticed some of our goldfish had a number of small
white bumps on their gills, as if they had white sand sprinkled
there.

Is this a disease I should do something about, or is it a new fish
fashion?

--RG, San Francisco

If the bumps are only on the gill plates and front ray of the pectoral
fins, the goldfish are boys. :-) If the bumps are elsewhere, you could
have a case of ich. ~ jan
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

Old 30-04-2007, 09:10 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
RG RG is offline

Whew, I'm relieved. Thanks for your reply.
Do you know what's the purpose of the bumps?
Does it mean they've already mated?

Old 30-04-2007, 02:43 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

"RG" wrote in message
oups.com...
Whew, I'm relieved. Thanks for your reply.
Do you know what's the purpose of the bumps?
Does it mean they've already mated?

Yes, you are the proud owner of horny male goldfish.

George

Old 01-05-2007, 12:24 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

"RG" wrote in message
oups.com...
Whew, I'm relieved. Thanks for your reply.
Do you know what's the purpose of the bumps?
Does it mean they've already mated?

===========================
I read the bumps are used by the male to stimulate the female to breed. It
doesn't mean they mated, just that they are mature and ready to mate.
--
RM....
Frugal ponding since 1995.

Old 01-05-2007, 06:32 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

it means they are male. they are breeding stars and it means they
can. Ingrid

Old 01-05-2007, 01:31 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

The specifics of the breeding-bump location certainly would go with
the bump-and-shove breeding process.

Jim