Old 30-04-2007, 12:11 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Default Shubunkins

Is there any place that sells long-tailed Shubunkin goldfish on the web?
I just need a couple, but their so darn expensive at the fish store.

My painted turtle is still missing. It sucks without him in the pond.
Seven years he was there. I still think he was turtlenapped - he never
went far from the pond, the few times he walked around outside of it.

I have someone who said he'll try and find me one when he goes kayaking.
A baby would be more likely to stay, I think - I went through three
turtles before getting one that decided free food and a net to deter
predators was a good place to live, as opposed to the stream in the woods.
I'd rather he'd just died, and we found him dead, as that way I'd know
what happened to him. This way, I worry some idiot isn't caring for him
properly, and he'll die a slow, suffering death.

Alan

Posted using registered MR/2 ICE Newsreader #564 and eComStation 1.21

Old 30-04-2007, 03:38 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

wrote in message
.net...
I'd rather he'd just died, and we found him dead, as that way I'd know
what happened to him. This way, I worry some idiot isn't caring for him
properly, and he'll die a slow, suffering death.

===========================
I think you'd have more of a chance to keep a turtle from wandering if you
got a male and at least two females. The urge to find a mate may have
overcome your pet.
--

RM....
Frugal ponding since 1995.

Old 01-05-2007, 11:14 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Reel McKoi wrote:

wrote in message
.net...

I'd rather he'd just died, and we found him dead, as that way I'd know
what happened to him. This way, I worry some idiot isn't caring for him
properly, and he'll die a slow, suffering death.

===========================
I think you'd have more of a chance to keep a turtle from wandering if
you got a male and at least two females. The urge to find a mate may
have overcome your pet.

Or at least one of each -- though when I had just a pair of RES the
female got pretty darned tired of saying "Not today, I've got a
headache." She bit the male's front claws off when she got fed up.
Gabrielle

Old 01-05-2007, 02:52 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

blue is tricky color. I know there is one fish supply sells "midnight
blues". I have the same problem getting American moors, long body,
long fins, big. the chinese moors are more like demekins with short
body and short fins. Ingrid

On Mon, 30 Apr 2007 08:07:01 CST, Hal wrote:
Also, fish carry genes from many generations
and because you have a blue fish doesn't necessarily mean that fish
will produce blue fish in it's spawn.

Old 02-05-2007, 06:11 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

"Ralph & His Clowder" wrote in message

Reel McKoi wrote:
I think you'd have more of a chance to keep a turtle from wandering if
you got a male and at least two females. The urge to find a mate may have
overcome your pet.

Or at least one of each -- though when I had just a pair of RES the female
got pretty darned tired of saying "Not today, I've got a headache." She
bit the male's front claws off when she got fed up.
Gabrielle

==================
That's why I would have several females so the male can spread his love
around.... so to speak. :-)
--

RM....
Frugal ponding since 1995.

Old 02-05-2007, 11:37 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Reel McKoi wrote:
I think you'd have more of a chance to keep a turtle from wandering
if you got a male and at least two females. The urge to find a mate
may have overcome your pet.

Or at least one of each -- though when I had just a pair of RES the
female got pretty darned tired of saying "Not today, I've got a
headache." She bit the male's front claws off when she got fed up.
Gabrielle

==================
That's why I would have several females so the male can spread his
love around.... so to speak. :-)

Damn lucky fish!
--
ßôyþëtë
London, UK

Old 03-05-2007, 01:43 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Hi Pete!

Nice to hear from you.

Jim

Old 04-05-2007, 06:02 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Reel McKoi wrote:

I think you'd have more of a chance to keep a turtle from wandering
if you got a male and at least two females. The urge to find a mate
may have overcome your pet.

Or at least one of each -- though when I had just a pair of RES the
female got pretty darned tired of saying "Not today, I've got a
headache." She bit the male's front claws off when she got fed up.
Gabrielle

==================
That's why I would have several females so the male can spread his
love around.... so to speak. :-)

Yep, gotta give the girls a chance to rest!

I've now got two males and about nine females -- and waiting to see if
any of the clutches hatch. I love hatchlings, but I dread finding homes
for them. My 1500 gallon pond is now on overload between the turtles and
fish.

Gabrielle

Old 04-05-2007, 06:05 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

"Ralph & His Clowder" wrote in message
I've now got two males and about nine females -- and waiting to see if any
of the clutches hatch. I love hatchlings, but I dread finding homes for
them. My 1500 gallon pond is now on overload between the turtles and fish.

===========================
Can't you release them in some natural body of water? We have a beautiful
huge lake less than a mile from our house. I take any baby snappers, excess
tadpoles etc. there. If I didn't my ponds would be totally overrun with
critters.
--
RM....
Frugal ponding since 1995.

Old 05-05-2007, 01:45 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Reel McKoi wrote:

"Ralph & His Clowder" wrote in message

I've now got two males and about nine females -- and waiting to see if
any of the clutches hatch. I love hatchlings, but I dread finding
homes for them. My 1500 gallon pond is now on overload between the
turtles and fish.

===========================
Can't you release them in some natural body of water? We have a
beautiful huge lake less than a mile from our house. I take any baby
snappers, excess tadpoles etc. there. If I didn't my ponds would be
totally overrun with critters.

Bear in mind releasing non-native species into natural bodies of water
is illegal in a lot of places so it would be a no, no for the
Shubunkins.....slightly different when it comes to creatures that have
come and found you and your pond as a place to go forth and
multiply....still it would probably worth giving your local authority a
quick call to see where you can legally release such things..... there
may well be some natural reserves where the release of endangered local
fauna and others may well be very welcome......on the other hand,
certainly in the UK, certain species cannot be disturbed even if they
decide to breed in your pond, a puddle or whatever in your
garden.....part of pond keeping is also about wildlife preservation......

Gill

Old 05-05-2007, 02:45 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

=============================
Bear in mind releasing non-native species into natural bodies of water is
illegal in a lot of places so it would be a no, no for the
Shubunkins.....slightly different when it comes to creatures that have
come and found you and your pond as a place to go forth and multiply....

I assumed his turtles were native fauna. :-) Shubunkins shouldn't be
released in natural bodies of water. The snappers, frogs, newts and toads
are native to my area.

still it would probably worth giving your local authority a
quick call to see where you can legally release such things..... there may
well be some natural reserves where the release of endangered local fauna
and others may well be very welcome......

This is an excellent idea.

on the other hand,
certainly in the UK, certain species cannot be disturbed even if they
decide to breed in your pond, a puddle or whatever in your garden.....part
of pond keeping is also about wildlife preservation......

Gill

--

RM....
Frugal ponding since 1995.
rec.ponder since late 1996.
My Pond & Aquarium Pages:
http://tinyurl.com/9do58
Zone 6. Middle TN USA
ISP: Hughes.net

Rate This Thread:

[IMG] code is On

shubunkins & Plants ~ jan JJsPond.us Ponds 0 12-08-2004 12:34 AM
shubunkins & Plants manzara Ponds 1 12-08-2004 12:34 AM
baby shubunkins [email protected] Ponds 6 13-07-2003 07:32 AM
Shubunkins Judy Ponds 0 12-07-2003 03:44 PM
Sick Shubunkins abc Ponds 5 24-05-2003 06:09 PM