Old 01-05-2007, 03:16 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Default Feeding fish

I have 2 adult Koi (approximately 16") and just put four 4" babies in
the 2000 gallon pond with them. They are all co-habiting fine, but
the adult fish seem all of a sudden to be bottomless hunger pits. I
try to put food over in the corner where the babies stay and I never
see any of them getting any food because the adults eat it all. I do
not have a second pond or quarantine area, so I don't know what else
to do to assure that they are getting something to eat.

Old 01-05-2007, 07:02 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

healthy koi are hungry koi. they should never be fed too much. they
are grazers in that they eat tiny amounts all the time.

grind your food into powder and scatter that widely on the pond.
concentrating in one area means some of those babies might be sucked
in and eaten by the big ones. you can also get a floating ring of
some kind, hang netting from it that babies can get thru, adults cant.
Ingrid

Old 02-05-2007, 06:11 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

The floating net is a new idea to me. I will remember it.

Phyllis

Old 04-05-2007, 06:05 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On May 2, 1:11 am, Phyllis and Jim wrote:
The floating net is a new idea to me. I will remember it.

Phyllis

I have crushed some of the food for the little guys for years and it
seems to work, I haven't lost any. Just squoosh it in your hands and
throw all of it in, the different sizes of it seem to satisfy
everyone.

Nanzi

Rate This Thread:

[IMG] code is On

winter feeding fish *muffin* Ponds 4 18-10-2003 03:12 PM
Feeding fish: surface vs. deep JGW Ponds 6 09-09-2003 12:09 AM
Feeding fish John Rutz Ponds 16 15-05-2003 05:08 AM
Feeding fish in planted tank Artur Freshwater Aquaria Plants 1 20-04-2003 06:24 AM
Feeding fish in planted tank Artur Freshwater Aquaria Plants 1 11-03-2003 06:45 PM