Old 02-05-2007, 07:12 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Default String algae (blanket weed) losing its battle.

Our veggie filters are now reving up for the year. The water celery
has covered its 4 x 4 pond and covered over the duckweed. The water
hyacinth have both grown in size and produced daughter plants. The
blanket weed that was all over the surface of our two 4 x 8 berm ponds
is now fading away. This is the first time we have seen so clear an
example of vascular plants winning the battle.

Old 06-05-2007, 04:59 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On May 2, 1:12 am, Phyllis and Jim wrote:
Our veggie filters are now reving up for the year. The water celery
has covered its 4 x 4 pond and covered over the duckweed. The water
hyacinth have both grown in size and produced daughter plants. The
blanket weed that was all over the surface of our two 4 x 8 berm ponds
is now fading away. This is the first time we have seen so clear an
example of vascular plants winning the battle.

Lucky you!! We're still green as peasoup. I guess I need to get the
celery that is in the dirt outside of the pond potted up and into the
pond. DUH. We used some stuff that was supposed to get rid of algae,
but no results yet. We have a gang coming on Saturday and did so hope
it would be clear, or at least clearer.

Our 40 year old son swears it is NEVER clear, and since it is a
surprise Bday party for him I'd love to find a way to clear it. Right
now we're dealing with those squiggly things that fall out of the oak
trees and clog the crud out of the filter basket, read we clean it out
several times a day. Yesterday the wind blew for a while and it just
rained squiggles.

Maybe I can talk DH into a UV light. The old one crapped out when it
got left outside too long the year I had my appendix out and wasn't up
to even supervising.

Our sons girlfriend and her mother will be here(first time meeting her
Mom. I've been planting flowers everywhere trying to have it pretty.
It will be in another month, but still looks a little sparse 'til the
plants fill out. Oh Well, better than no color.

So glad your pond is clear!! Me next, I hope I hope I hope!!!
nan

Old 06-05-2007, 05:28 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

go to walmart and get some of their polyester batting with no
additives. make a bucket filter
http://weloveteaching.com/puregold/care/hardware.html
toss your pump into that. toss the clogged polyester batting as
needed.
COVER your pond with light blocking material like black plastic
sheeting and IIRC it will take 3-4 days for the pond to be clear.
of course, keep aeration going. dont feed the fish. dont fertilize
your water plants right now. Ingrid

On Sun, 6 May 2007 08:59:39 CST, Olde Hippee We
have a gang coming on Saturday and did so hope
it would be clear, or at least clearer.

Rate This Thread: