GardenBanter.co.uk

-   Ponds (moderated) (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/ponds-moderated/)
-   -   frogs or toads? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/ponds-moderated/157867-frogs-toads.html)

Henry & Carolyn 02-05-2007 03:11 PM

frogs or toads?

We heard a loud hum coming from my mom's pond. We saw a pair of frogs
mating. But they look more like toads. Do toads mate in water? Or are
they a different type of frog? Also, I didn't think toads made that noise.
The male is smaller and dark brown, the female is lighter brown with
speckles.

kthirtya 02-05-2007 04:09 PM

frogs or toads?

Yes, toads mate in water just like frogs.
Their eggs will look like long strings of black
beads.
A good way to ID your toads is to go to google
and type in 'native amphibians of - your state'.

k :-)

Phyllis and Jim 03-05-2007 04:16 AM

frogs or toads?

Toads will have bumps. Several kinds of frogs would fit your
description. Smooth skins or bumpy?

Jim

[email protected] 03-05-2007 02:13 PM

frogs or toads?

toadpoles.......

Hal[_1_] 03-05-2007 02:41 PM

frogs or toads?

On Wed, 2 May 2007 08:11:49 CST, "Henry & Carolyn"
wrote:

We heard a loud hum coming from my mom's pond. We saw a pair of frogs
mating. But they look more like toads. Do toads mate in water? Or are
they a different type of frog? Also, I didn't think toads made that noise.
The male is smaller and dark brown, the female is lighter brown with
speckles.

I love this site:
http://animaldiversity.ummz.umich.ed...frogCalls.html

Lizards and frogs can be light or dark, but the call is always
annoying or pleasing whichever you prefer.

Regards,

Hal

Hal[_1_] 03-05-2007 02:43 PM

frogs or toads?

On Wed, 2 May 2007 16:05:53 CST, "Smitty" wrote:

Yes, they mate in water. Hence, tadpoles. Which I could keep em in my pond. sigh

Scott!

Many of us wish we could share ours with you. Are you on Middle
Georgia Cox cable? I have a fresh batch of eggs for you this morning.
The moon was full last night and the toads were mating again.

Regards,

Hal

~ jan[_3_] 03-05-2007 04:30 PM

frogs or toads?

On Thu, 3 May 2007 07:41:33 CST, Hal wrote:

I love this site:
http://animaldiversity.ummz.umich.ed...frogCalls.html

Lizards and frogs can be light or dark, but the call is always
annoying or pleasing whichever you prefer. Hal

Yes, it is all about attitude. ~ jan

Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

sammytheon1 15-05-2019 11:28 AM

Yes, toads definetly mate in water but unlike many frogs they live on land.