GardenBanter.co.uk

-   Ponds (moderated) (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/ponds-moderated/)
-   -   Best way to pot water lillies? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/ponds-moderated/157926-best-way-pot-water-lillies.html)

Gareee© 03-05-2007 04:00 AM

Best way to pot water lillies?

I just got two new ones from walmart today, hoping to decrease the amount of
sunlight in the water again.

They came enclosed in plastic "ham" like mesh bag, which was filled with the
same brown mat type mulch/fibers that plant hanger include. they also had
some rocks in the bag as well, to weigh the plant down.

Seems this much be the best way to plant new lilies or one that we've split.
it keeps the roots away from the fish for some time, doesn't restrict the
plant's growth at all, and it also comes with a string and a floating fake
lily so you can pull them back up easily, or at least locate where they are
planted.

I'm pretty happy with the way they sell these, and the practical packaging.

--
Gareee
(Gary Tabar Jr.)

Phyllis and Jim 03-05-2007 04:17 AM

Best way to pot water lillies?

We got a similar lily from Home Depot last year. Jim put it in a bed
of rocks but left the bag around it. It is doing fine this year. It
is supposed to have red flowers. That would be a nice complement to
our yellow and white ones.

May yours thrive.

Phyllis

Gareee© 03-05-2007 07:47 PM

Best way to pot water lillies?

"Phyllis and Jim" wrote in message
ups.com...
We got a similar lily from Home Depot last year. Jim put it in a bed
of rocks but left the bag around it. It is doing fine this year. It
is supposed to have red flowers. That would be a nice complement to
our yellow and white ones.

May yours thrive.

Ours have always really done well.. I can probably split them this year
still, but adding new ones won't hurt. I haven't fired up the filter yet,
and still need to do the spring cleaning.. we're also going to see if we can
grab some of the salamander that took up local residence, and put them in an
indoor aquarium we have.

And our frogs are getting BIG this year.

Man, I sure with they had added binary allowances to the group when they
made it.

--
Gareee
(Gary Tabar Jr.)