Old 05-05-2007, 09:38 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Default White spots and flashing. Help please.

Hi, all!
I have noticed in the last couple of days that some of my fish have small
white areas on their fins and some have some on their bodies. A couple were
flashing at times.
My ph is 7.2 ( It is usually 7.6 - 7.8 but we've had a heap of rain this
week)
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 0

I did a part water change. 200ltrs, drained the filter sump and then I added
salt
to the pond and bought the salinity up to 1%.
It is a 2000 litre pond ( including filters) so I added 2 kilos of kiln
dried salt, disolved and mixed
in pond water.

Is this enough salt or should I go to 2%? I have a vegi filter and lily's in
the system.

I have PP crystals but I have never used it before apart from cleaning stuff
and I don't want to
compromise the plants, good algae and bugs in my filter and pond system now
the weather is getting cooler.

Any other suggestions that might help, please?

Cheers
Bindi.

Old 05-05-2007, 03:17 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Hi!
I found out it is carp pox.(Ugly stuff!) Because of the lower water temps
now.
Whew! No real big worry but I will add a little more salt and bring the
salinity up to 0.2% for a few days.

Cheers
Bindi.

.com...

Old 05-05-2007, 03:17 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Sat, 5 May 2007 02:38:02 CST, "Bindi"
wrote:

Is this enough salt or should I go to 2%? I have a vegi filter and lily's in
the system.

I would think the salt cure would be best accomplished with a dip
instead of adding more than .1% to the pond with plants. Note the D
in the .1% column of the chart at this URL.

http://tinyurl.com/2c8gwm

Regards,

Hal

Old 05-05-2007, 04:04 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

wrote:

Is this enough salt or should I go to 2%? I have a vegi filter and lily's

in
the system.

I would think the salt cure would be best accomplished with a dip
instead of adding more than .1% to the pond with plants. Note the D
in the .1% column of the chart at this URL.

http://tinyurl.com/2c8gwm

Regards,

Hal

Hi, Hal!
Yep. Sorry. I meant 0.1%.
Thank you for the URL.

Cheers
Bindi.

Old 05-05-2007, 06:14 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Sat, 5 May 2007 02:38:02 CST, "Bindi" wrote:

Hi, all!
I have noticed in the last couple of days that some of my fish have small
white areas on their fins and some have some on their bodies. A couple were
flashing at times.
My ph is 7.2 ( It is usually 7.6 - 7.8 but we've had a heap of rain this
week)

Check your KH. This is more important than your pH, it is what keeps your
pH stable.

In another thread you said you found out it was pox not Ich, so we're
talking white spots bigger than salt crystals, right? Usually you won't
even see Ich on koi, like you do on goldfish. I believe that means koi do
get it, but not as visible? ~ jan
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

Old 06-05-2007, 02:46 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

"~ jan" wrote in message
news
On Sat, 5 May 2007 02:38:02 CST, "Bindi" wrote:

Hi, all!
I have noticed in the last couple of days that some of my fish have small
white areas on their fins and some have some on their bodies. A couple

were
flashing at times.
My ph is 7.2 ( It is usually 7.6 - 7.8 but we've had a heap of rain this
week)

Check your KH. This is more important than your pH, it is what keeps your
pH stable.

Hi, Jan!
My KH had dropped from 10d to 6d because of all the rain. ( 115mm! ) just
over 4 inches in 2 days.
I did a part water change to try to bring it back up a bit before I salted.
I don't know the salt content of my water so I only salted to 1kg per
1000ltrs to be safe. 0.1
I only have bore water here and it is a little hard but fairly stable.

In another thread you said you found out it was pox not Ich, so we're
talking white spots bigger than salt crystals, right?

Yep. They are more like long white bumps and mainly on the tail fins
with just the odd one on the dorsal fins. It is affecting mainly 2 goldfish
but some others have got the odd one.
The water temp has dropped but I don't know how much exactly yet.
I have got a thermometer coming in the mail soon.

Usually you won't
even see Ich on koi, like you do on goldfish. I believe that means koi do
get it, but not as visible? ~ jan
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

Thank you, Jan!

Cheers
Bindi.

Old 06-05-2007, 03:29 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Sat, 5 May 2007 16:20:29 CST, wrote:

They get it, it looks like a bad red rash. Ingrid

Good to know. Tx, ~ jan
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds:
www.jjspond.us

Rate This Thread:

[IMG] code is On

Koi Still Flashing MC Ponds 1 07-06-2003 07:08 AM
Koi Flashing, Jumping MC Ponds 27 22-05-2003 07:44 AM
black spots, Black Spots, BLACK SPOTS!!!!bbbbbblllllllaaaaacccckkkkkk ssspp Unique Too Roses 7 16-05-2003 04:08 AM
black spots, Black Spots, BLACK SPOTS!!!!bbbbbblllllllaaaaacccckkkkkk ssspppOOOTTTSSSS!!!!!! Roger Roses 6 12-05-2003 10:56 PM
black spots, Black Spots, BLACK SPOTS!!!!bbbbbblllllllaaaaacccckkkkkk Radika Kesavan Roses 0 11-05-2003 04:44 PM