Old 08-05-2007, 01:35 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Default The state of the pond.

I uncovered the pond yesterday, about two weeks ahead of last year.
Unfortunately we lost three fish this year, including our 5 year old
matriarch. We also lost one medium sized fish and another smaller fish. They
all seemed to be dead less than a month, with the older fish being the most
decayed. I have no idea what caused it, perhaps lack of oxygen, but the
varying sizes has me puzzled.

There are 20+ survivors, all very happy to see the sun again after 6 months.

Old 08-05-2007, 03:13 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Sorry to hear of your loss, Bill.

How do the survivors look? If they are good...who knows about the
lost ones.

Jim

Old 08-05-2007, 03:20 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

"Bill Stock" wrote in message
I uncovered the pond yesterday, about two weeks ahead of last year.
Unfortunately we lost three fish this year, including our 5 year old
matriarch. We also lost one medium sized fish and another smaller fish.
They all seemed to be dead less than a month, with the older fish being the
most decayed. I have no idea what caused it, perhaps lack of oxygen, but
the varying sizes has me puzzled.

There are 20+ survivors, all very happy to see the sun again after 6
months.

==========================
They've been covered for 6 months? That's a long time for them to go
without food. I hope there was some kind of filter or aeration running
during those months.
--

RM....
Frugal ponding since 1995.

Old 08-05-2007, 05:03 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

"Phyllis and Jim" wrote in message
ps.com...
Sorry to hear of your loss, Bill.

How do the survivors look? If they are good...who knows about the
lost ones.

Jim

They looked a little jittery, but active and fat. I guess if I'd been in the
dark for six months and somebody flick on the bright lights I'd be jittery
too.

Old 08-05-2007, 02:31 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Great. I hope they settle down and multiply for you.

Jim

Rate This Thread: