Old 08-05-2007, 03:31 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Default Do UV quartz tubes degrade?

The manufacture of my ultra violet light recommends replacing the quartz
sleeve containing the bulb when the bulb is changed- does it degrade over
time or is there some other reason why it should be changed? I do clean it
every year and replace the bulb every other year. Thanks in advance for your
reply.

--
John M. Darnielle
Remove obvious phrase from address to e-mail me

Old 08-05-2007, 04:18 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

"John M. Darnielle" wrote in
:

The manufacture of my ultra violet light recommends replacing the
quartz sleeve containing the bulb when the bulb is changed- does it
degrade over time or is there some other reason why it should be
changed? I do clean it every year and replace the bulb every other
year. Thanks in advance for your reply.

Yes, quartz degrades with exposure to UV over time, but the effect is
visible. You'll see a whitening of the clear quartz tube, which is a de-
vitrification effect (not cleanable). The manufacturer is, of course,
grossly over-stating the required rate of replacement, both to ensure that
the unit continues to function well, and also to get more of your money.
Keep an eye on the sleeve (you clean your sterilizer every month or so,
right?). When it starts to look a little milky or hazy to you (read a
newspaper, or the sterilizer's owner's manual, through the sleeve), either
from this effect or due to scratches and other physical damage, replace it
then.

Regards,
R. David Zopf

Old 08-05-2007, 04:56 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Tue, 8 May 2007 08:31:25 CST, "John M. Darnielle"
wrote:

The manufacture of my ultra violet light recommends replacing the quartz
sleeve containing the bulb when the bulb is changed- does it degrade over
time or is there some other reason why it should be changed? I do clean it
every year and replace the bulb every other year. Thanks in advance for your
reply.

Wait until it starts to do white. It will last much longer than the UV
light but it will eventually need to be replaced. Mine lasted eight
years and then it was only a bit white.

Steve

--
Steve Wolstenholme Neural Planner Software Ltd

http://www.easynn.com

Old 09-05-2007, 06:09 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

wrote:

The manufacture of my ultra violet light recommends replacing the quartz
sleeve containing the bulb when the bulb is changed- does it degrade over
time or is there some other reason why it should be changed? I do clean it
every year and replace the bulb every other year. Thanks in advance for
your
reply.

Wait until it starts to do white. It will last much longer than the UV
light but it will eventually need to be replaced. Mine lasted eight
years and then it was only a bit white.

Steve

--
Steve Wolstenholme Neural Planner Software Ltd

http://www.easynn.com

Two great answers- Thanks! Mine is just barely starting to turn white- I
thought it was just me not cleaning it as well as I could. As to cleaning it
every month- uh, once a season has been my habit, or after every 6 months of
use.

Rate This Thread: