Old 12-05-2007, 05:28 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Default BZT Aquaculture ?

Does anyone use BZT Aquaculture in their ponds to clean up the muck that
forms on the bottom of the pond? If so could you tell me how well it
works, and how much is needed for a pond that is about 850 gallons.

Thanks
Bill

Old 12-05-2007, 09:53 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

I strongly recommend not using purple type anaerobic bacteria in ponds
with fish. Good aeration, strong pump suction and a mulm trap like a
veggie filter will get rid of the muck. Ingrid

Old 13-05-2007, 01:39 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Sat, 12 May 2007 10:28:16 CST, "Bill C" wrote:

Does anyone use BZT Aquaculture in their ponds to clean up the muck that
forms on the bottom of the pond? If so could you tell me how well it
works, and how much is needed for a pond that is about 850 gallons.

Thanks
Bill

I use to use it all the time (it isn't a purple dye, but a dry mix), but
since I started keeping part of my filter running with slow flow thru
winter I haven't needed it. I my case bottom drain takes care of most muck,
so it was mostly used as a jump start to the bio action. That said, it can
really help clean muck (not dirt or sand) at the bottom and even in the
filter. ~ jan
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

Old 13-05-2007, 03:19 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

purple BACTERIA, not purple dye. they are a type of anaerobic
bacteria that breaks down organics and one product is H2S. Jo Ann had
a go around with that when Steve snuck some of those bacteria into a
couple of her tanks and her fish started dying. she had to bleach the
tanks to kill the bacteria. I dont know who it works with ponds.
would think drifting bacteria would bring em into any pond or tank,
but I guess not in enough numbers. Ingrid

Old 13-05-2007, 10:05 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Sun, 13 May 2007 08:19:17 CST, wrote:

purple BACTERIA, not purple dye.

BZT isn't that. More of a yeast color. Totally aerobic. ~ jan
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds:
www.jjspond.us

Old 14-05-2007, 03:02 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

the bacteria are not purple unless growing on plate media for a week
or more. cant tell by looking at. I would be interested to know what
species of bacteria breaks down organic material on the bottom
aerobically without air. Ingrid

purple BACTERIA, not purple dye.

BZT isn't that. More of a yeast color. Totally aerobic.

Rate This Thread:

[IMG] code is On

Fresh water Prawn as an Aquaculture Product Stella Ponds 0 29-09-2007 07:39 PM
BZT Aquaculture ? Pondmeister Ponds 0 16-05-2007 07:48 PM
The Use of Salt in Aquaculture Benign Vanilla Ponds 64 22-02-2005 09:48 PM
Aquaculture tank combined with hydroponics bed DBB Gardening 0 04-01-2005 08:38 PM
Regional Aquaculture Centers: Source of Basic Info chagoi Ponds 2 07-07-2004 06:02 PM