Old 15-05-2007, 02:49 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Default Ugly pond

I had to move away from my pond, and I go through withdrawal every
spring. Peeking around at some simple set-ups i stumbled across this:

http://www.wards.com/wards/prod_disp...eID=mwem051407

I know this is a bit off topic, but is this the ugliest ad for a
prefab pond you've ever seen or what?

Old 15-05-2007, 03:27 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Oh my gosh!!
And it can be yours for only $139.99!

k :-)

Old 15-05-2007, 03:57 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

The setup shown stinks...cover the edges with rock, add algae and it
would be a small pond.

Jim

Old 15-05-2007, 06:59 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

"Angela" wrote in message
ups.com...
I had to move away from my pond, and I go through withdrawal every
spring. Peeking around at some simple set-ups i stumbled across this:

http://www.wards.com/wards/prod_disp...eID=mwem051407

I know this is a bit off topic, but is this the ugliest ad for a
prefab pond you've ever seen or what?

Kinda looks like my puddle:

http://new.photos.yahoo.com/will_sto...804381244237/4

It hasn't changed much from this old pic, bigger founatin, more water over
the falls, wood retaining wall, electric Coon deterent (fence), a couple
more power outlets and the external filter. Oh, and the fricking Flowering
Crab (Dwarf, my ass!) is now huge. Very pretty this year, but a bit of a
PITA picking out the flowers.

Old 15-05-2007, 06:59 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Angela wrote:
I had to move away from my pond, and I go through withdrawal every
spring. Peeking around at some simple set-ups i stumbled across this:

http://www.wards.com/wards/prod_disp...partner=12&CP=
00&pp=yes&afsrc=1&placeID=mwem051407

I know this is a bit off topic, but is this the ugliest ad for a
prefab pond you've ever seen or what?

Be kind, my dear. After all, it is from Montjunkery Wards!

~Semper Fi~

Old 15-05-2007, 10:43 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Kinda looks like my puddle:

http://new.photos.yahoo.com/will_sto...804381244237/4

It hasn't changed much from this old pic, bigger founatin, more water over
the falls, wood retaining wall, electric Coon deterent (fence), a couple
more power outlets and the external filter. Oh, and the fricking Flowering
Crab (Dwarf, my ass!) is now huge. Very pretty this year, but a bit of a
PITA picking out the flowers.

Website didn't work, but yours sounds better then the commercial one shown.
:-) ~ jan
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

Old 15-05-2007, 10:44 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Mon, 14 May 2007 19:57:43 CST, Phyllis and Jim
wrote:

The setup shown stinks...cover the edges with rock, add algae and it
would be a small pond.

Jim

I thought it might be a clever way to show that anyone who got one
could do as you suggest and make a pond that's much better looking
than the one in the picture. But they don't know the difference
between affect and effect in their text part of the ad, so I suspect
that they think that the way it's shown is pretty.
--

r.bc: vixen
Minnow goddess, Speaker to squirrels, willow watcher.

http://www.visi.com/~cyli

Old 15-05-2007, 08:08 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Nick Cramer wrote:
Angela wrote:
I had to move away from my pond, and I go through withdrawal every
spring. Peeking around at some simple set-ups i stumbled across this:

http://www.wards.com/wards/prod_disp...partner=12&CP=
00&pp=yes&afsrc=1&placeID=mwem051407

I know this is a bit off topic, but is this the ugliest ad for a
prefab pond you've ever seen or what?

Be kind, my dear. After all, it is from Montjunkery Wards!

(I'm the OP - just not on Google this time)

I always liked MW when they were brick and mortar. I didn't realize they
were even around in any form until I saw that.

The flex liner may or may not be a bad idea, but that set up? Ish!
Hopefully they won't sell and I can pick one up on clearance?

I can't see Bill Stock's pictures, but I'll bet his puddle is beautiful!
When I had mine I was never able to hide the liner as much as I would
have liked, but the frogs didn't seem to mind.

Old 15-05-2007, 08:09 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Phyllis and Jim wrote:
The setup shown stinks...cover the edges with rock, add algae and it
would be a small pond.

Jim

I agree - the form isn't horrid - it's just the display that they set
up. Maybe somebody forgot the shovel that day.

Has anybody experienced those flexible liners? I've only seen the hard
shell pre-fabs.

Old 16-05-2007, 04:11 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

"~ jan" wrote in message
Kinda looks like my puddle:

http://new.photos.yahoo.com/will_sto...804381244237/4

It hasn't changed much from this old pic, bigger founatin, more water over
the falls, wood retaining wall, electric Coon deterent (fence), a couple
more power outlets and the external filter. Oh, and the fricking Flowering
Crab (Dwarf, my ass!) is now huge. Very pretty this year, but a bit of a
PITA picking out the flowers.

Website didn't work, but yours sounds better then the commercial one
shown.
:-) ~ jan
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

I think it will work now, photo was not public.

Old 16-05-2007, 09:56 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Tue, 15 May 2007 12:08:28 CST, AngelaTC
wrote:

Nick Cramer wrote:
Angela wrote:
I had to move away from my pond, and I go through withdrawal every
spring. Peeking around at some simple set-ups i stumbled across this:

http://www.wards.com/wards/prod_disp...partner=12&CP=
00&pp=yes&afsrc=1&placeID=mwem051407

I know this is a bit off topic, but is this the ugliest ad for a
prefab pond you've ever seen or what?

Be kind, my dear. After all, it is from Montjunkery Wards!

(I'm the OP - just not on Google this time)

I always liked MW when they were brick and mortar. I didn't realize they
were even around in any form until I saw that.

I believe they were catalogue for a long time before they were brick
and mortar. Certainly most of their business was catalogue up into
the late 50s and the 60s. It was the one place most isolated farms
and even towns could order stuff that was otherwise not available.
Like stoves and bicycles and many other things. Sounds strange now
that the Web is around, but the catalogues came first and everyone had
a Wards or Sears catalogue (or both around the house). They were
often called dream books or wish books. When the new one came out,
the old one went to the outhouse to be used for reading there and for
toilet paper. Then brick and mortar Sears and Wards came to the big
cities and finally to some towns. Then they started to charge for
their catalogues unless a certain amount had been purchased through
them the previous year. Then they stopped the catalogues. Then they
(Wards at least) sold out the businesses to some other large company.
All that's left is the name now.

Old 18-05-2007, 02:13 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Tue, 15 May 2007 20:11:52 CST, "Bill Stock" wrote:

http://new.photos.yahoo.com/will_sto...804381244237/4

I think it will work now, photo was not public.

Bill, there is NOTHING ugly about your pond, I think it is VERY nice. What
is the purple tree to the right of the waterfall? ~ jan
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

Old 18-05-2007, 03:26 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Default Ugly pond - OT

On Wed, 16 May 2007 01:56:54 CST, Cyli wrote:

I always liked MW when they were brick and mortar. I didn't realize they
were even around in any form until I saw that.

I believe they were catalogue for a long time before they were brick
and mortar.

A MW job was one of my first. All we did was take phone orders or walk-in's
though there was an automotive center attached where they worked on cars. I
was always surprised people would walk in rather than call... but it was a
small town.... their form of socially I suppose? ~ jan
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

Old 18-05-2007, 04:53 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

"~ jan" wrote in message
On Tue, 15 May 2007 20:11:52 CST, "Bill Stock" wrote:

http://new.photos.yahoo.com/will_sto...804381244237/4

I think it will work now, photo was not public.

Bill, there is NOTHING ugly about your pond, I think it is VERY nice. What
is the purple tree to the right of the waterfall? ~ jan

It's a dwarf flowering crab, but the variety escapes me. The picture is from
the first year, so it's about twice that size now, mostly fuller and a bit
taller. It really flowered well this year.

------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

Old 19-05-2007, 07:21 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Thu, 17 May 2007 20:53:42 CST, "Bill Stock" wrote:

It's a dwarf flowering crab, but the variety escapes me. The picture is from
the first year, so it's about twice that size now, mostly fuller and a bit
taller. It really flowered well this year.

A dwarf? Hummmm, I like that. I loved my flowering crab. Unfortunately I
planted it too close to the driveway and hubby was not happy with the
raining fruit. Nor was I with the crush fruit that made it's way inside.

How big is the dwarf size suppose to get? ~ jan
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

Rate This Thread:

[IMG] code is On

Ugly pond Pondmeister Ponds 0 20-05-2007 09:59 PM
Late Summer Ugly Gardens msilver Gardening 6 26-09-2003 06:02 PM
Help! I need your ugly plant pics! Chuck Gadd Freshwater Aquaria Plants 0 20-04-2003 07:11 AM
ugly mystery tree Kay Easton United Kingdom 8 08-04-2003 11:08 AM
hiding ugly gas tanks: regulations A.Malhotra United Kingdom 13 04-12-2002 08:37 PM