GardenBanter.co.uk

-   Ponds (moderated) (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/ponds-moderated/)
-   -   Crayfish (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/ponds-moderated/158686-crayfish.html)

Al Schmidt 16-05-2007 07:32 PM

Crayfish

I'm a new pond owner. I now have a pond approximately one half acre in size.
It seems to have a problem with crayfish. There are burrows & some "mud
castles" all around the yard. Those close to the pond seem to be weakening
the bank. How can I control these burrow makers? They really cover my two
acre plot.

Thanks
Al

kthirtya 17-05-2007 03:20 AM

Crayfish

Hi Al!
Welcome to RPM!

I found this interesting article here
http://www.ext.vt.edu/pubs/fisheries...3/420-253.html
(it even includes a recipe...)

I'd be interested to know what you think of the
advise they offer.

k :-)

http://tinyurl.com/6bguh ~ new pond keeper info
http://tinyurl.com/yp64db ~ slide show of pond

Hal[_1_] 17-05-2007 04:27 PM

Crayfish

On Wed, 16 May 2007 12:32:14 CST, "Al Schmidt"
wrote:

I'm a new pond owner. I now have a pond approximately one half acre in size.
It seems to have a problem with crayfish. There are burrows & some "mud
castles" all around the yard. Those close to the pond seem to be weakening
the bank. How can I control these burrow makers? They really cover my two
acre plot.

Trap and eat. Share with friends.

Regards,

Hal

Al Schmidt 17-05-2007 04:27 PM

Crayfish

From what I've read, I think I'll try the trap route. As for eating, I'll
see how many and how big they are. I have Bluegill and bass in the lake. The
crayfish may explain how I can have such large bass..

Al

oups.com...

[email protected] 17-05-2007 04:27 PM

Crayfish

dimilin is found in anchors away. I guess I would give it a try.
Ingrid

http://www.singaporekoiclub.com/know...ication.html#d

Dimilin

Dimilin® is a trademarked brand name for diflubenzuron. Dimilin® /
diflubenzuron is one of many "benzoylphenylurea compounds" which are
not pesticides but are regarded as IDI (insect development
inhibitors). Other compounds in this category include "Program",
"LarvaDex", etc.

About Diflubenzuron and other benzoylphenylurea compounds:

* Insect gyrase stops crustacean moulting, ends the life cycle of
parasites you can see, like Anchor Worm and Fish Lice.
* Dimilin These parasites are cleared in 3 - 4 days.
* Dose: One gram per 3785 l.
* Mix well in water, distribute evenly around pond. Many people
use a plastic gallon jug and shake it well.
* Non toxic to filter, fish or plants
------- * Will kill crayfish, dragonflies, etc.

Dimilin® is not, and can not be, toxic to your fish at any dose. Even
though it is not water soluble, it works like a charm.

Chris Barnes 17-05-2007 07:52 PM

Crayfish

Hal wrote:
Trap and eat. Share with friends.

Nonsense! Trap and ship to me.

*evil laugh*

Seriously - ducks and fish love to eat them.

--

+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +
Chris Barnes AOL IM: CNBarnes

kthirtya 18-05-2007 01:44 AM

Crayfish

Chris wrote
"Usenet really is all about standing around and hitting the ground
with clubs, on a spot where many years earlier a dead horse lay."

LOL! You made my day!

On topic snippet ~ when my folks lived in the South
for three years Dad had crayfish boils for company
picnics. Crayfish, potatoes and corn. We really enjoyed
our visits to the South.

k :-)

Chris Barnes 21-05-2007 10:25 PM

Crayfish

kthirtya wrote:
On topic snippet ~ when my folks lived in the South
for three years Dad had crayfish boils for company
picnics. Crayfish, potatoes and corn. We really enjoyed
our visits to the South.

I wasn't born Cajun.

But my heart became a born-again coonass the day I ate boil crawfish,
red potatoes, & corn for the first time.

;-) Aw eeee.

--