Old 19-05-2007, 12:22 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Default critter ponding

I have a little deck pond outside the slider.
Today I noticed that tadpoles hatched and
there are little snails zooming about and
tiny seed shrimp going hither and yon.
My favorite kind of ponding! I love all the
little critters who show up in aquatic
environments. (Mosquitoes excepted!)

k :-)

http://tinyurl.com/6bguh ~ new pond keeper info
http://tinyurl.com/yp64db ~ slide show of pond

Old 20-05-2007, 07:31 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On May 18, 4:22 pm, kthirtya wrote:
I have a little deck pond outside the slider.
Today I noticed that tadpoles hatched and
there are little snails zooming about and
tiny seed shrimp going hither and yon.
My favorite kind of ponding! I love all the
little critters who show up in aquatic
environments. (Mosquitoes excepted!)

k :-)

http://tinyurl.com/6bguh~ new pond keeper infohttp://tinyurl.com/yp64db~ slide show of pond

Kewl kthirtya!
Love the critters too. Would a couple of feeder goldfish keep the
skeeters away and not eat the tadpoles? This year the nutria have not
come back here. Momma and 2 babies used to come up from big pond onto
lawn.
Water iris are starting to bloom. I was worried that I didn't have
enough water in their Barrels over winter. Goldfish didn't survive but
have had no Skeeters here.
Randy

Old 20-05-2007, 08:23 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Randy wrote
Love the critters too. Would a couple of feeder goldfish keep the
skeeters away and not eat the tadpoles?

I think they'd eat them. The chorus frogs around
here won't go in pond with fish. We made a little
bog for them and I can't find any eggs in there.
And I've spotted some goldfish sneaking into
the bog...
The little deck pond is fishless and full of tiny
critters, including some interesting worms who
spend their day face first into the mud and wave
their tails around. No way they'd survive a fish
in the deck pond! Too tasty I'm sure!
k :-)

Rate This Thread: