Old 19-05-2007, 04:10 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Default Salt Levels

Does anyone know what are ideal salt readings levels are in a pond with fish
and plants? Getting confused Thanks...............

Old 19-05-2007, 02:15 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

0.05 - 0.1% Ingrid

Old 19-05-2007, 07:19 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Fri, 18 May 2007 20:10:47 CST, "Paul" wrote:

Does anyone know what are ideal salt readings levels are in a pond with fish
and plants? Getting confused Thanks...............

For a healthy pond, no fish problems. Whatever your tap water (water
source) reading is. ~ jan
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

Old 20-05-2007, 07:31 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Fri, 18 May 2007 20:10:47 CST, "Paul" wrote:

Does anyone know what are ideal salt readings levels are in a pond with fish
and plants? Getting confused Thanks...............

I don't think there is a magic number for salt levels in a
koi/goldfish pond that the salt level must maintain. The tap water in
my area doesn't have any and most of my friends and club members don't
add salt. I raise the salt level to .1% every winter in the hopes the
fish will develop a good slime coat to help prevent parasites from
latching on just at the critical time the fish are coming out of
hibernation (close to.) temperatures and their immune systems are
cranking up. I then let the salt level drop as I do water changes and
it almost disappears by the following winter cold spell. Yesterday it
was at .03%.

Some argue the pond should always contain enough salt to prevent brown
blood disease, others argue high nitrates occur mostly at startup of a
new pond and if the filter is working properly there won't be enough
nitrates in the water to cause brown blood disease.
There are lots more, but here are a couple opinions.
http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/scripts/htm...DOCUMENT_VM007
http://www.koiclubsandiego.org/library/salinity.php
Note the San Diego tap water reads 0 to 5 ppt and that is what Norm
Meck called acceptable range.

Salt tests on plants:
http://tinyurl.com/2c8gwm
As a medication:
http://tinyurl.com/jg6hp

BTW if you choose to use salt, the best bargain is solar salt for
water softeners at Lowe's and similar stores. It comes in 40lb bags
and sells for about $4, and is 99% pure salt.

Regards,

Hal

Old 20-05-2007, 10:12 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Sun, 20 May 2007 11:31:47 CST, Hal wrote:

Some argue the pond should always contain enough salt to prevent brown
blood disease, others argue high nitrates occur mostly at startup of a
new pond and if the filter is working properly there won't be enough
nitrates in the water to cause brown blood disease.

Just to clear up perhaps a little confusion, nitrites cause brown blood
disease. Fish can tolerate high level of nitrAtes, which usually aren't a
problem except in koi only ponds (no plants, minimal algae) or aquariums
with low plant high fish loads. Plants take up nitrAtes, so many of us with
plants in pond or veggie-filters have little too worry about there. What
high levels of nitrAtes affect are growth. ~ jan

Old 20-05-2007, 10:31 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Sun, 20 May 2007 11:31:47 CST, Hal wrote:

There are lots more, but here are a couple opinions.
http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/scripts/htm...DOCUMENT_VM007
http://www.koiclubsandiego.org/library/salinity.php
Note the San Diego tap water reads 0 to 5 ppt and that is what Norm
Meck called acceptable range.

Salt tests on plants:
http://tinyurl.com/2c8gwm
As a medication:
http://tinyurl.com/jg6hp

Hal, these are great websites to have in a collection together (why I've
cut and snipped here. ;-)

I did find the salt tests on plants interesting, not just because of the
info, as I had seen this when it first came out, but Dr. Johnson's little
note at the bottom regarding water hyacinth & lettuce.

Soon after Bonnie came out with this report, explaining how she did it,
etc. I found personal discrepancy with WL & WH. I hadn't found my WH & WL
showing any affects at the rates she showed them dying. I e-mailed her
regarding the high nutrient need of these plants and if that (death by
starvation) couldn't have affected her results? I never got an answer. :-(
~ jan
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

Old 21-05-2007, 04:01 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

junk science, like a lot of the information on that site.

A big variable is also the concentration of "salts" of all kinds in
the local water. some people will never need to add salt because
their own water is already high. people also forget that those with
softened water have very high sodium already and adding more sodium
chloride could be quite harmful.

in terms of the study, there is also effect of pH, temp, etc. Ingrid

On Sun, 20 May 2007 14:31:34 CST, ~ jan wrote:
Soon after Bonnie came out with this report, explaining how she did it,
etc. I found personal discrepancy with WL & WH. I hadn't found my WH & WL
showing any affects at the rates she showed them dying. I e-mailed her
regarding the high nutrient need of these plants and if that (death by
starvation) couldn't have affected her results? I never got an answer. :-(

Rate This Thread:

[IMG] code is On

Rock Salt vs Pond Salt itten Ponds 1 18-05-2003 02:20 PM
kH levels dropping, why?? Dave M. Picklyk Freshwater Aquaria Plants 1 03-03-2003 12:27 AM
Light levels Geir Harris Hedemark Orchids 2 04-02-2003 09:14 AM
Article of toxic levels of arsenic and other chems... J Kolenovsky Gardening 4 27-01-2003 06:41 PM
raising PH levels William Anderson United Kingdom 2 23-01-2003 10:17 PM