GardenBanter.co.uk

-   Ponds (moderated) (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/ponds-moderated/)
-   -   Viviparous lily baby with flowers still attached (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/ponds-moderated/158809-viviparous-lily-baby-flowers-still-attached.html)

Phyllis and Jim 20-05-2007 02:03 AM

Viviparous lily baby with flowers still attached

Our pond produced another viviparous lily baby. This time, we found
the flowers still on it. Fertilized flowers produced a baby...sounds
about right doesn't it?

The previous baby gradually sank to the bottom of the pond (as do old
flowers). Makes sense as well. Produce a baby, start the roots,
lower it to the bottom to take hold.

Here is the pic location:
http://groups.google.com/group/The-F...318c6c3fe28bef

Jim

kthirtya 20-05-2007 04:51 AM

Viviparous lily baby with flowers still attached

http://groups.google.com/group/The-F...browse_frm/thr...

Picture isn't loading... hopefully the next try
will work.
k :-)

Phyllis and Jim 21-05-2007 02:11 PM

Finally visible on Google: Viviparous lily baby with flowers still attached

My Google interface now shows the lily.

The location is http://groups.google.com/group/The-F...318c6c3fe28bef

You can see the roots at the top left, the flower split to either side
of the new lily and the leaves of the new plant sticking out of the
center. It does seem to have come from fertilizing to the flower
itself. That makes such good sense. Flowers are for fertilizing! I
wonder which of my lilies is the other parent.

Jim

~ jan[_3_] 21-05-2007 04:27 PM

Viviparous lily baby with flowers still attached

On Sat, 19 May 2007 19:03:13 CST, Phyllis and Jim
wrote:

Our pond produced another viviparous lily baby. This time, we found
the flowers still on it. Fertilized flowers produced a baby...sounds
about right doesn't it?

Yes, but I didn't think that was viviparous... and I didn't think hardies
do viviparous. But, looking it up the word viviparous: producing seeds that
germinate on the plant. So I guess so. :-)

The previous baby gradually sank to the bottom of the pond (as do old
flowers). Makes sense as well. Produce a baby, start the roots,
lower it to the bottom to take hold.

Here is the pic location:

http://groups.google.com/group/The-F...318c6c3fe28bef

Very cool Jim! ~ jan
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

Phyllis and Jim 21-05-2007 11:55 PM

Viviparous lily baby with flowers still attached

Yes, but I didn't think that was viviparous... and I didn't think hardies
do viviparous. But, looking it up the word viviparous: producing seeds that
germinate on the plant. So I guess so. :-)

Thanks for checking on the term. I assume the lily is hardy. It went
through our winter. I got it from Tom LaBron a few years ago. When
phyllis and I were chatting, she pointed out that a couple of years
ago I thought a very small lily had been uprooted by the koi. We
suspect it was in fact another of the viviporus babies. It looked
funny (like these) and did not look like a piece of root.

Maybe I should email Tom to see if he has a name for the yellow, stand
up lilies.

Jim