Old 04-06-2007, 09:49 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Default WAS:Rubbermaid glue report: Forget Gorilla Glue Now: found bulkhead parts

Checked with all the local farmer's supply and marine supply stores in the
area.. because of a drought, there are no bulkheads (or very few) available
locally. Figures.. LOL!

So I went back through the thread, and looked for the web page that showed
how to make one from electrical conduit.

Yet another trip to Lowe's again.. sigh they like seeign me far too much!

Anyway I managed to cobble up what looks like workable bulkheads. I used 1
1/2 inch, so it would match the pvc connected to the clear line I have
coming from the uv filter. The tub gaskets he mentioned were far too large,
but we managed to find #18 O rings that look like they'll do the trick, and
you get 10 for a buck n change. I'll use one on the outside of the sterlite,
and one on the inside as well.
Hopefully they are large enough.

Originally I grabbed the larger ones mentioned in the article, but then was
trying to find connectors for the clear line I have for output, and was
grabbing far too much stuff to make a cap.

Only thing I'm lacking, is some "grate" thing for the bottom of the filter,
to keep the filter material away from the bottom, so I'll use a small milk
crate in the meantime, just to get it running.

I'll probably buy some 3/4" pcv and corners, to make a box shape with legs,
and then use strapping of some kind running around that for the filter
material to rest on.

With luck, I'll have this together in a few hours for a test.

--
Gareee
(Gary Tabar Jr.)

Old 05-06-2007, 02:03 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Ok, here's the news.. the good, the bad, and ther ugly....

Good: makeshift bulkheads seem to work great, with no leaks! Yay!

Bad: Sterilie got a crack from the water weight in the lip on the top.. once
the lid is secured on, I think it'll reinforce it fine.

Ugly: the water flow in exceeds the waterflow out, so I'm getting overflow..
only options I can think of is trying a larger output fitting, adding a
second fitting the size I currently have. I'm using the largest hose my
Lowe's carries, so I'll need to also rig up a outflow pipe or hose to the
pond.

I could use the toilet flanges I got, but I'm still not happy with the wax
seals on them. I'm going to see if there are some 2: fittings that might
work out in the electrical conduit section, or the plumbing section at
Lowe's. I'll need to see if I can use something that will still accept that
makeshift gasket from the web page article.

--
Gareee
(Gary Tabar Jr.)

Old 05-06-2007, 06:49 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

[...]

Hi Garee - IME, a 2" return fitting will handle up to a ~ 2000 gph pump - if
you are pumping more than that through the filter, you need more than 1 - 2"
return line, but more than ~1000 gph going through your filter of 45 gal
will be a problem as it will not work as well (too fast) - I use a 2500gph
pump that is "teed" so that I am actually running ~ 800 - 900gph through my
45 gal barrel filter and the rest directly to my waterfall
Gale :~)

Old 05-06-2007, 11:07 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

"G Pearce" wrote in message

Hi Garee - IME, a 2" return fitting will handle up to a ~ 2000 gph pump -
if you are pumping more than that through the filter, you need more than
1 - 2" return line, but more than ~1000 gph going through your filter of
45 gal will be a problem as it will not work as well (too fast) - I use a
2500gph pump that is "teed" so that I am actually running ~ 800 - 900gph
through my 45 gal barrel filter and the rest directly to my waterfall
Gale :~)

Good to know.. I ended up getting a 3" setup just in case. after I made a
gasket, and test fit it, the parts became so stuck, I couldn't unscrew
them.. hopefully a quick trip to Lowe's, and they'll have some way to
unscrew them.

After getting it on, I'll drain about 2/3 of the pond to get rid of all the
crap floating around in it, and hopefully that'll help the new filter get is
clear sooner.

Gareee
(Gary Tabar Jr.)

Old 07-06-2007, 11:13 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Default Rubbermaid glue report: Forget Gorilla Glue

On Mon, 4 Jun 2007 06:52:08 CST, Derek Broughton
wrote:

I still don't see anything like a web site detailing parts required for a home built filter.

So what could I add to mine to cover that?

Click on Demon Pond Filter, ~ jan
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

Old 08-06-2007, 04:53 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Ok, I've finally got it working! The lid does seems to contain the sterilite
bending, so that's good. There's a place on the front for a lock, and I
might add some bends wire and tie it, just for aditional support.

I still have a minor leak on the to outlet bulkhead.. I have 1 gasket
inside, and 2 outside.. I'll add a third tomorrow, and see if that will give
me enough compression to seal it. We've been in pretty bad drought for the
last few months now, as a cup or two of water on the ground won't hurt
anything.

All the lower home made bulkheads with the O rings seems to work just fine.
Wish I could fine some larger O rings around here, to use instead of the
gaskets cut from rubber gasket material.

Ah well.. it finally works, and other then the fish unrooting a few small
transplants, all seems fine for now. With any luck, the uv will take care of
the green, and the filter will filter out the suspended crap floating
around.

Oh! and had my first lilly bloom today as well, so after both the wife and
myself weed whacking for 5 hours, it's turned out to be a good yard day.

--
Gareee
(Gary Tabar Jr.)

Old 08-06-2007, 06:09 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

around.

Oh! and had my first lilly bloom today as well, so after both the wife and
myself weed whacking for 5 hours, it's turned out to be a good yard day.

--
Gareee
(Gary Tabar Jr.)

HoooRAH!!!! for your first lily bloom! :-) I have a few buds coming
up but no flowers yet. Maybe by Sunday. One can hope!
Glad to hear the bulkheads are working for you. I used ABS fittings
and couplings. Screwed them in to the Rubbermaid and they have worked
fine. VERY inexpensive! I will try to take some pics (I purchased my
very first point and shoot digital camera this year!) and post them on
http://home.pcisys.net/~muaddib/
Success to you!

Old 08-06-2007, 06:50 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

wrote in message
ups.com...

HoooRAH!!!! for your first lily bloom! :-) I have a few buds coming
up but no flowers yet. Maybe by Sunday.

I was expecting some sooner, but I'm wondering if the lack of sunlight down
into the water has slowed thier growth some?

One can hope!
Glad to hear the bulkheads are working for you. I used ABS fittings
and couplings. Screwed them in to the Rubbermaid and they have worked
fine. VERY inexpensive! I will try to take some pics (I purchased my
very first point and shoot digital camera this year!) and post them on
http://home.pcisys.net/~muaddib/
Success to you!

Thanks. I'm using abs as well, since it's cast in black, and looks a bit
nicer then the gray electrical conduit. What did you use for
gaskets/sealant? I've got one gasket inside the tub, and two outside, and
I'm still getting a slight leak. I'll try adding a third outside today, and
see if that helps.

--
Gareee
(Gary Tabar Jr.)

Old 10-06-2007, 12:39 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Jun 8, 10:50 am, "Gareee©" wrote:
wrote in message

ups.com...

[...]

Hi Gary!

I used gaskets cut from pond liner. :-P Screwed (tightened) the ABS
fittings until the water stopped dripping/leaking. Has held up very
well for the past three season. Ever once in a while, I will notice
some dripping but it is only a drop or two every now and then and it
usually stops on its own. I don't really mind the occasional drip
drip drip as I am going to be water changes anyway (trying to reduce
hormones and improve mineral and water quality anyway).

Hope that helps. Oh, yes and if you really must have now drips, put
silicone on both sides of the gasket before you tighten them down.
That will stop any dripping.

Dale

Old 10-06-2007, 03:20 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

wrote in message
ups.com...

I used gaskets cut from pond liner. :-P Screwed (tightened) the ABS
fittings until the water stopped dripping/leaking. Has held up very
well for the past three season. Ever once in a while, I will notice
some dripping but it is only a drop or two every now and then and it
usually stops on its own. I don't really mind the occasional drip
drip drip as I am going to be water changes anyway (trying to reduce
hormones and improve mineral and water quality anyway).

The leaks stopped before I could even go out and add another gasket, so I'll
live with that. I'm thinking of cuting the end off the utflow pipe, so it
spills onto a rock, making a mini waterfall. Least it'll look better then a
big black pipe with water coming out.

Not sure how long it'll take to do the job though... I'll give it a week,
and see if it looks like it's having any effect.

Hope that helps. Oh, yes and if you really must have now drips, put
silicone on both sides of the gasket before you tighten them down.
That will stop any dripping.

Actually, I'd thought about that, but since the leak stopped on it's own,
I'll let it be for now. Looks like the sterilite lid has been an excellent
reinforcement for the water pressure bowing out the container. Might pick up
another.. I can use it for stotrage in the meantime, and if down the road, I
need to replace it, I'll already have the backup. for $15 I can't really go
wrong.

--
Gareee
(Gary Tabar Jr.)

Old 10-06-2007, 10:26 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Jun 9, 7:20 pm, "Gareee©" wrote:
wrote in message

ups.com...

[...]

Outstanding, Gary!
Glad that is working out for you. I remember the first time I looked
at the cost of "real bulkheads" I bout had a heart attack! LOL That
is what caused me to look for options.
Success to you this ponding season! Remember to post pictures for us
to look at. :-)

Dale

Old 11-06-2007, 12:21 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

wrote in message
oups.com...

Outstanding, Gary!
Glad that is working out for you. I remember the first time I looked
at the cost of "real bulkheads" I bout had a heart attack! LOL That
is what caused me to look for options.
Success to you this ponding season! Remember to post pictures for us
to look at. :-)

I'm hoping I'll see things clear up.. as of yet, both the uv filter and the
particle filter seems to be having little effect, but then we have also had
full blazing sun every day the last week, so it's an uphill battle.

In a new filter situation clearing a pond in bad shape, how often should I
drain the filter out? I'm tempted to drain the pond down 30%, and add fresh
clear water, just so it at least looks like something's happening.. and
yeah, I know that adds more nutrients for the algea, but I have a feeling
it's already got plenty to chow down on.

I've got about 6 lilies, but only one is getting really large pads, and
various other plants in the pond to add some shade, but coverage is only
about 10-20%, far less then it needs to be in summertime.

--
Gareee
(Gary Tabar Jr.)

Old 11-06-2007, 12:22 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

wrote in message
oups.com...

Success to you this ponding season! Remember to post pictures for us
to look at. :-)

Here's a quick one, so you can see what things are like.. green.. LOL!

Last year's waterfall attempt on the right, new sterlite filter behind the
arbor, and nightshade on the left. Some pond plant blooms.. even our hostas
(as you can tell) are small from the lack of rain this season.

http://webpages.charter.net/gareee/Pond.jpg

--
Gareee
(Gary Tabar Jr.)

Old 11-06-2007, 11:05 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Sun, 10 Jun 2007 16:22:27 CST, "Gareee©"
wrote:

http://webpages.charter.net/gareee/Pond.jpg

That is really looking nice, even green, the surroundings, the arbor swing,
I really like that.

Btw, instead of a 30% water change all at once, it isn't the nutrients, it
is the imbalance that can produce more green water. Better would be to
trickle water in slowly and let it over flow, or do a 10% water change
once/day. ~ jan
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

Old 11-06-2007, 07:52 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

"~ jan" wrote in message
http://webpages.charter.net/gareee/Pond.jpg

That is really looking nice, even green, the surroundings, the arbor
swing,
I really like that.

Thanks. As you can see, the ground itself is pretty sloped, so we had to
build up the lower part to make a pond, or we would have had to dig the pond
4 feet deeper at the right hand side.. and we were hitting pretty big almost
unmovable rocks in some cases.

Btw, instead of a 30% water change all at once, it isn't the nutrients, it
is the imbalance that can produce more green water. Better would be to
trickle water in slowly and let it over flow, or do a 10% water change
once/day.

Heck, I have to do that anyway with the high heat, lack of rain, and
evaporation.

I'd say we are loosing about 10-20% every 2 weeks easily, with the full sun
we are getting.

--
Gareee
(Gary Tabar Jr.)