Old 27-05-2007, 12:37 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Default Rubbermaid glue report: Forget Gorilla Glue

It dries very brittle, and just chips right off the rubbermaid. I did find a
great simple waterproof seal though for adding a cap to t a toilet flange..
it fits on, but not waterproof, and I didn't want to glue it, in case I want
to cannibalize parts down the road. A simple wrap of duct tape around worked
great to seal the minute space there.

Thinking of trying hot melt glue, or pvc glue next on the rubbermaid.

Can't really assemble the rubbermaid filter without some gluing/sealing
solution.

--
Gareee
(Gary Tabar Jr.)

Old 27-05-2007, 03:13 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

In article ,
"Gareee©" wrote:

It dries very brittle, and just chips right off the rubbermaid. I did find a
great simple waterproof seal though for adding a cap to t a toilet flange..
it fits on, but not waterproof, and I didn't want to glue it, in case I want
to cannibalize parts down the road. A simple wrap of duct tape around worked
great to seal the minute space there.

Thinking of trying hot melt glue, or pvc glue next on the rubbermaid.

Can't really assemble the rubbermaid filter without some gluing/sealing
solution.

How about a good silicone glue? (Like aquarium sealer)

Old 27-05-2007, 04:44 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

How about a good silicone glue? (Like aquarium sealer)

Tar like substance might do better as it would give a flexible bond.

The compression of a rubbery substance is a wothwhile direction. We
have one berm pond with a toilet flange as the exit. It is rather
like a burger: The flange is the outer layer (bread/bun). Then two
layers of EDPM, coated with roofing sealer on either side and between
(lettuce and tomatoes?). Then the plastic (burger in the center). It
repeats on the other side with two layers of EDPM and a flat toilet
ring. The flange and the ring are held together by stainless steel
bolts and washers. The bolts compress the edpm and tar, resulting in
a rather good seal. We have used that technique on the berm pond
drains as well. They are holding well with edpm liners as well.

Jim

Old 27-05-2007, 02:48 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

"Gareee©" wrote in message
It dries very brittle, and just chips right off the rubbermaid. I did find
a great simple waterproof seal though for adding a cap to t a toilet
flange.. it fits on, but not waterproof, and I didn't want to glue it, in
case I want to cannibalize parts down the road. A simple wrap of duct tape
around worked great to seal the minute space there.

Thinking of trying hot melt glue, or pvc glue next on the rubbermaid.

Can't really assemble the rubbermaid filter without some gluing/sealing
solution.

--
Gareee
(Gary Tabar Jr.)

3M has a marine urethane sealant that I have heard good things about called
Fast Cure 5200. It is a moisture curing system that goes tack free in about
1 hour and completely cured in 24 hours. It is flexible and has better bond
than silicone. Apply it a little thick, loosely tighten to force some of
the sealant out all the way around the joint. After it has cured, tighten
the screws to force pressure on the material as a conforming gasket.

Old 27-05-2007, 06:51 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

I'm thinking of trying the wax gaskets they actually use with the toilet
flanges... idea is to make the hole large enough to just accomodate the end
opening, and have the large part of the flage inside the rubbermaid... and
have one of the wax toiulet gaskets between the flange and the rubbermaid
wall.. with compression, the wax should seal the opening, it's VERY sticky,
so should grip the rubbermaid, and since there will always be water on them,
the temperatures should keep them cool. they are somewhat temperature
tolerant, I believe, and since they are wax, there shouldn;t be any
chemicals to leech out into the pond water.

Seems like a cheap and simple solution, after trying quite a number of
glue/gasket solutions.

If it works, I'll have discovered a neat cheap trick.. if not, I'm no worst
off.
--
Gareee
(Gary Tabar Jr.)

Old 27-05-2007, 10:05 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Clever. My only concerns would be heat melting it (sun) or it
hardening up and being moved somehow in the depth of winter.

Jim

Old 28-05-2007, 12:16 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Kurt wrote:

In article ,
"Gareee©" wrote:

It dries very brittle, and just chips right off the rubbermaid. I did find a
great simple waterproof seal though for adding a cap to t a toilet flange..
it fits on, but not waterproof, and I didn't want to glue it, in case I want
to cannibalize parts down the road. A simple wrap of duct tape around worked
great to seal the minute space there.

Thinking of trying hot melt glue, or pvc glue next on the rubbermaid.

Can't really assemble the rubbermaid filter without some gluing/sealing
solution.

How about a good silicone glue? (Like aquarium sealer)

I used aquarium sealer on the Rubbermaid stock tank for my Skippy filter
and it's worked well. I liked the aquarium sealer because, if
directions are followed, it is safe for the fish.
Gabrielle

Old 28-05-2007, 01:15 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Ok, here's what I learned today:

Just when you think you remember that toilet wax not being "too bad" to mess
with, you use it again and hate the stuff.. LOL Sticky, and nasty.

Good news, it worked flawlessly, from what I can tell. No leaks at all, and
connects are solid.

Might need to add a 4" elbow and line down from the outlet on top.. the
accordion 4" drainage hose/pipe puts more weight on that top flange then I'd
like. idf I do, I'll put a 90 degree elbow on it, and then run the 4" pvc
down th efront, and then put another elbow on it to make it reach the pond
better.

Bad news, is the gorilla glue that looked liek it sealed the 3/4 inch pvc
water inlet didn't.when the rubbermaid filled, it buldged, the gorilla glue
let go, and had a big nasty leak there. that will have to attached
differently. Might look into that aquarium glue that's been mentioned. I
already have shoe goo and silicon sealer.. wonder if it's different from
those?

So I had partial success today. I think when building something liek this,
it's be much better to find something with thicker plastic then a rubbermaid
trash can,.. even the 50 gallon ones have thin walls for attaching fittings.

--
Gareee
(Gary Tabar Jr.)

Old 28-05-2007, 01:41 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

In article .com,
Phyllis and Jim wrote:

Clever. My only concerns would be heat melting it (sun) or it
hardening up and being moved somehow in the depth of winter.

Jim

Aquarium silicone sealer will handle all temps, always be watertight and
is safe for fish. It's also inexpensive.

Old 28-05-2007, 01:41 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

In article ,
Ralph & His Clowder wrote:

Kurt wrote:

In article ,
"Gareee©" wrote:

It dries very brittle, and just chips right off the rubbermaid. I did find
great simple waterproof seal though for adding a cap to t a toilet flange..
it fits on, but not waterproof, and I didn't want to glue it, in case I
want
to cannibalize parts down the road. A simple wrap of duct tape around
worked
great to seal the minute space there.

Thinking of trying hot melt glue, or pvc glue next on the rubbermaid.

Can't really assemble the rubbermaid filter without some gluing/sealing
solution.

How about a good silicone glue? (Like aquarium sealer)

I used aquarium sealer on the Rubbermaid stock tank for my Skippy filter
and it's worked well. I liked the aquarium sealer because, if
directions are followed, it is safe for the fish.
Gabrielle

That's why I use it.

Old 28-05-2007, 02:11 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

My son uses the Goop products on Rubbermaid stuff. ~ jan
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

Old 28-05-2007, 02:12 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

The compression would have to be steadily compressed once it is
hardened. It won't bond to the plastic. That is why we went for EDPM
and a tar-like sealer. It can stretch if there is any flex in the
can. Steady pressure on the silicone would work as well, as long as
it did not get moved.

Jim

Old 28-05-2007, 09:16 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

"Phyllis and Jim" wrote in message
ups.com...
The compression would have to be steadily compressed once it is
hardened. It won't bond to the plastic. That is why we went for EDPM
and a tar-like sealer. It can stretch if there is any flex in the
can. Steady pressure on the silicone would work as well, as long as
it did not get moved.

So aquarium glue will not bond to the rubbermaid then?

The fitting won't be moved much, but the Rubbermaid does stretch with the
water weight, and since it is a fitting to an external line, I'm sure there
will be some simple occasional stress from cleaning the pond, hooking things
up, and detaching them, and storing the uv filter for winter.

I could use shoo goo (by the Goop people, and put a very generous amount on
both the interior and exterior. another thought, was to put it first on the
pvc pipe itself, so there's already a rubber "gasket" around it, and then
use it ac I described above.. I'd think the goop then would bond well to
itself.

Still considering options before pulling the filler out, and redoing that.

--
Gareee
(Gary Tabar Jr.)

Old 29-05-2007, 02:37 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

In article ,
"Gareee©" wrote:

"Phyllis and Jim" wrote in message
ups.com...
The compression would have to be steadily compressed once it is
hardened. It won't bond to the plastic. That is why we went for EDPM
and a tar-like sealer. It can stretch if there is any flex in the
can. Steady pressure on the silicone would work as well, as long as
it did not get moved.

So aquarium glue will not bond to the rubbermaid then?

Besides making sure the surface is clean and free of any grease, You
could also roughen the rubbermaid maid surface with sandpaper around
where you want the seal, just to give it a little "tooth".

The fitting won't be moved much, but the Rubbermaid does stretch with the
water weight, and since it is a fitting to an external line, I'm sure there
will be some simple occasional stress from cleaning the pond, hooking things
up, and detaching them, and storing the uv filter for winter.

I could use shoo goo (by the Goop people, and put a very generous amount on
both the interior and exterior. another thought, was to put it first on the
pvc pipe itself, so there's already a rubber "gasket" around it, and then
use it ac I described above.. I'd think the goop then would bond well to
itself.

Shoe Goo might work also. I've only used it on shoes, though.

Still considering options before pulling the filler out, and redoing that.

Old 29-05-2007, 04:06 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

The silicone would work fine, like a gasket, if it has compression.
With plastic flex, it is likely to come loose from its bond.

Jim

Rate This Thread: