Old 31-05-2007, 09:58 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Default Melamine in fish food

In the paper today was a story about fish food contaminated with melamine.
The story was about commercial fish farming, but it got me to wondering how
much melamine I don't know about is in what I feed my fish.

San Diego Joe
4,000 - 5,000 Gallons.
Koi, Goldfish, and RES named Colombo.

Old 31-05-2007, 10:41 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

no idea, much like those feeding processed food to their dogs and
cats. I am feeding freeze dried krill and daphnia. going to try some
chopped raw shrimp see how they go for that. nice thing about the
freeze dried food is it floats so they have time to suck it up before
it sinks. Ingrid

Old 31-05-2007, 11:13 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

"San Diego Joe" wrote in message
In the paper today was a story about fish food contaminated with melamine.
The story was about commercial fish farming, but it got me to wondering
how
much melamine I don't know about is in what I feed my fish.

============================
Fish and other pets aside, I wonder how much is in our food, the things that
we eat. We're sticking to fresh foods only. No more convenience foods that
contain all types of "additives."
--
RM....
Frugal ponding since 1995.

Old 01-06-2007, 12:28 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

In article ,
"Reel McKoi" wrote:

"San Diego Joe" wrote in message
In the paper today was a story about fish food contaminated with melamine.
The story was about commercial fish farming, but it got me to wondering
how
much melamine I don't know about is in what I feed my fish.

============================
Fish and other pets aside, I wonder how much is in our food, the things that
we eat. We're sticking to fresh foods only. No more convenience foods that
contain all types of "additives."

How about those of us growing up in the 50s & 60s eating those TV
dinners?

Old 01-06-2007, 12:29 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

"San Diego Joe" wrote in message
In the paper today was a story about fish food contaminated with melamine.
The story was about commercial fish farming, but it got me to wondering

how
much melamine I don't know about is in what I feed my fish.

Or how much junk and chemicals we eat, as these two fine American
companies seem to believe is essential in manufacturing their feed.
Our FDA has issued a "voluntary recall."

FDA Asks Feed Manufacturers to Avoid Ingredients Containing Melamine
http://www.fda.gov/bbs/topics/NEWS/2007/NEW01643.html

"The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) is alerting livestock and
fish/shrimp feed manufacturers about a voluntary recall of products used in
feed production because several have been found to contain melamine and
related compounds.

"The feed ingredients were made by Tembec BTLSR Inc. of Toledo, Ohio and
Uniscope, Inc. of Johnstown, Colo.

Tembec, a contract manufacturer for Uniscope, makes AquaBond and Aqua-Tec
II, which it distributes for Uniscope. Uniscope makes Xtra-Bond using
ingredients supplied by Tembec. All of the products are binding agents that
are used to make pelleted feed for cattle, sheep, and goats, or fish and
shrimp.

The Tembec and Uniscope products also reportedly contain a urea
formaldehyde resin-type ingredient, a raw ingredient used to make the
binding agent in these products."

Old 01-06-2007, 05:36 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

"Kurt" wrote in message
In article ,
"Reel McKoi" wrote:

"San Diego Joe" wrote in message
In the paper today was a story about fish food contaminated with
melamine.
The story was about commercial fish farming, but it got me to wondering
how
much melamine I don't know about is in what I feed my fish.

============================
Fish and other pets aside, I wonder how much is in our food, the things
that
we eat. We're sticking to fresh foods only. No more convenience foods
that
contain all types of "additives."

How about those of us growing up in the 50s & 60s eating those TV
dinners?

===============================
My parents never bought them but I heard they were pretty tasteless.
--

RM....
Frugal ponding since 1995.

Old 01-06-2007, 06:45 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

In article ,
"Reel McKoi" wrote:

"Kurt" wrote in message
In article ,
"Reel McKoi" wrote:

"San Diego Joe" wrote in message
In the paper today was a story about fish food contaminated with
melamine.
The story was about commercial fish farming, but it got me to wondering
how
much melamine I don't know about is in what I feed my fish.
============================
Fish and other pets aside, I wonder how much is in our food, the things
that
we eat. We're sticking to fresh foods only. No more convenience foods
that
contain all types of "additives."

How about those of us growing up in the 50s & 60s eating those TV
dinners?

===============================
My parents never bought them but I heard they were pretty tasteless.

I loved them, but we were guinea pigs for the emerging processed food
industry.
I shudder to think what was in some of that stuff.

Old 04-06-2007, 12:22 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Fri, 1 Jun 2007 11:45:40 CST, Kurt wrote:

How about those of us growing up in the 50s & 60s eating those TV
dinners?

===============================
My parents never bought them but I heard they were pretty tasteless.

I loved them, but we were guinea pigs for the emerging processed food
industry. I shudder to think what was in some of that stuff.

Loved them here also, actually miss them. They were probably filled with
real food, after all fake things hadn't become vogue yet.... Like
margarine, non-dairy coffee creamers, saccharine.... Unfortunately the
fried chicken was probably fried in lard, love it. Luckily I was raised on
wild pheasant, duck, trout, perch & cottontail for the most part, a TV
dinner was a treat. ;-) ~ jan
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

Old 04-06-2007, 01:42 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

"~ jan" wrote:

[...]

We STILL fry chicken in lard. (well, actually lard, peanut oil and a bit of
butter.)

Old 04-06-2007, 03:31 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

In article ,
San Diego Joe wrote:

"~ jan" wrote:

[...]

Boy, that sounds great.

I'd take a few Lipitors in advance.

Old 04-06-2007, 03:31 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

In article ,
~ jan wrote:

[...]

I lived for Hungry Man dinners...

Old 04-06-2007, 06:11 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

"San Diego Joe" wrote in message

We STILL fry chicken in lard. (well, actually lard, peanut oil and a bit
of
butter.)

===========================
We stopped eating fried food when we learned how bad it is for you. It's
also fattening. We never ate much fried foods so don't really miss them.
--

RM....
Frugal ponding since 1995.

Old 05-06-2007, 05:49 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Sun, 3 Jun 2007 20:31:11 CST, Kurt wrote:

We STILL fry chicken in lard. (well, actually lard, peanut oil and a bit of
butter.)

Boy, that sounds great.
I'd take a few Lipitors in advance.

Bacon Grease, now that was good chicken.... and fish*.... clarification so
the koi don't get upset *trout and perch or crappie. ~ jan
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

Old 06-06-2007, 01:32 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

San Diego Joe wrote:
In the paper today was a story about fish food contaminated with melamine.
The story was about commercial fish farming, but it got me to wondering how
much melamine I don't know about is in what I feed my fish.

Doesn't it make you wonder about those sudden dropsy cases in fish that
seemed perfectly fine?

--
My other fish and pond forum is:
http://groups.google.com/group/The-Freshwater-Aquarium

Old 07-06-2007, 05:32 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

may be onto something. the chief organ failure is the kidney in cats
and dogs, and a failure of the kidney would lead to ascites in fish
... dropsy. Ingrid

On Tue, 5 Jun 2007 18:32:13 CST, Altum
wrote:

San Diego Joe wrote:
In the paper today was a story about fish food contaminated with melamine.
The story was about commercial fish farming, but it got me to wondering how
much melamine I don't know about is in what I feed my fish.

Doesn't it make you wonder about those sudden dropsy cases in fish that
seemed perfectly fine?

Rate This Thread: