Old 15-07-2007, 04:24 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Default Melamine in fish food

How about those of us growing up in the 50s & 60s eating those TV
dinners?

In the 50's and 60's the TV dinners, or anything else for that matter, was
coming from China - with virtually no enforced regulation, they can ship us
anything, including ingredients in and for our food, let alone our pets
Gale :~)

Old 15-07-2007, 06:05 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

"G Pearce" wrote:

In the 50's and 60's the TV dinners, or anything else for that matter, was
coming from China - with virtually no enforced regulation, they can ship us
anything, including ingredients in and for our food, let alone our pets

Check your history. Trade with china didn't start until after Nixon
recognized China in 1972 after cold relations since the communist
takeover in 1949.

Perhaps you are thinking of Japan, but I don't know of any food products
that came from Japan in that period. Certainly not TV dinners. TV
Dinners were introduced by Swanson's of Nebraska in 1952. Japanese
cars didn't start coming in quantity until the 70's.

Old 15-07-2007, 08:16 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

M. Fricker wrote:

"G Pearce" wrote:

In the 50's and 60's the TV dinners, or anything else for that matter,
was
coming from China - with virtually no enforced regulation, they can ship
us anything, including ingredients in and for our food, let alone our
pets

Check your history. Trade with china didn't start until after Nixon
recognized China in 1972 after cold relations since the communist
takeover in 1949.

While I have my doubts that TV dinners were coming from China, there
certainly _was_ trade with China. It's just that prior to Nixon's
recognition of the People's Republic, "China" meant Taiwan.
--
derek
- Unless otherwise noted, I speak for myself, not rec.ponds.moderated

Old 16-07-2007, 02:06 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Derek Broughton wrote:

M. Fricker wrote:

"G Pearce" wrote:

In the 50's and 60's the TV dinners, or anything else for that matter,
was
coming from China - with virtually no enforced regulation, they can ship
us anything, including ingredients in and for our food, let alone our
pets

Check your history. Trade with china didn't start until after Nixon
recognized China in 1972 after cold relations since the communist
takeover in 1949.

While I have my doubts that TV dinners were coming from China, there
certainly _was_ trade with China. It's just that prior to Nixon's
recognition of the People's Republic, "China" meant Taiwan.

Only to Taiwanese. Several billion other people disagreed.

Old 16-07-2007, 02:14 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

In article ,
Derek Broughton wrote:

M. Fricker wrote:

"G Pearce" wrote:

In the 50's and 60's the TV dinners, or anything else for that matter,
was
coming from China - with virtually no enforced regulation, they can ship
us anything, including ingredients in and for our food, let alone our
pets

Check your history. Trade with china didn't start until after Nixon
recognized China in 1972 after cold relations since the communist
takeover in 1949.

While I have my doubts that TV dinners were coming from China, there
certainly _was_ trade with China. It's just that prior to Nixon's
recognition of the People's Republic, "China" meant Taiwan.

Yes, TV dinners from that era were proudly "made" in the USA.

BTW, you older folks- remember this story? It was an urban legend:

http://www.snopes.com/business/genius/usa.asp

Old 16-07-2007, 09:00 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

"G Pearce" wrote:

In the 50's and 60's the TV dinners, or anything else for that matter,
was
coming from China - with virtually no enforced regulation, they can
ship
us anything, including ingredients in and for our food, let alone our
pets

OOPS - I forgot the "NOT" before 'coming from China' - can you buy, let's
say 'canned mushrooms' from anywhere else? - not in my grocery store in
Canada, and I am surrounded buy mushroom farms where I live - how well are
the Chinese Mushrooms regulated, and what else is in them, that we don't
know about? - I would gladly pay more for North American - 2 wks ago, I
checked the cans for where they were from and went back to the shelf to look
for something N.A. and there were none (we buy them quite often and the wife
picked up 2 cans)
P.S. - I am not Chinese bashing, I just have a problem with what keeps
coming up in the news about the Government over there turning a blind eye
and letting the companies do as they please to keep their employment and
revenue up
OK - done with the ranting Gale :~)

Old 16-07-2007, 09:01 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Sun, 15 Jul 2007 19:06:46 CST, "M. Fricker"
wrote:

Derek Broughton wrote:

M. Fricker wrote:

"G Pearce" wrote:

In the 50's and 60's the TV dinners, or anything else for that matter,
was
coming from China - with virtually no enforced regulation, they can ship
us anything, including ingredients in and for our food, let alone our
pets

Check your history. Trade with china didn't start until after Nixon
recognized China in 1972 after cold relations since the communist
takeover in 1949.

While I have my doubts that TV dinners were coming from China, there
certainly _was_ trade with China. It's just that prior to Nixon's
recognition of the People's Republic, "China" meant Taiwan.

Only to Taiwanese. Several billion other people disagreed.

Yeah, but Taiwan was the _recognized_, as in officially, China for all
of U.S. legal purposes. Tagging of products was a legal purpose.

Frankly, any one with any sense and a map or an atlas disagreed with
the physical reality of Taiwan being China. But the political reality
of the U.S. insisted that mainland China didn't exist. Therefore our
laws could only recognize Taiwan as China. It was only one of the
major reality disconnects of the cold war era.
--

r.bc: vixen
Minnow goddess, Speaker to squirrels, willow watcher.

http://www.visi.com/~cyli

Old 16-07-2007, 02:13 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

M. Fricker wrote:

Derek Broughton wrote:

M. Fricker wrote:

"G Pearce" wrote:

In the 50's and 60's the TV dinners, or anything else for that matter,
was
coming from China - with virtually no enforced regulation, they can
ship us anything, including ingredients in and for our food, let alone
our pets

Check your history. Trade with china didn't start until after Nixon
recognized China in 1972 after cold relations since the communist
takeover in 1949.

While I have my doubts that TV dinners were coming from China, there
certainly _was_ trade with China. It's just that prior to Nixon's
recognition of the People's Republic, "China" meant Taiwan.

Only to Taiwanese. Several billion other people disagreed.

Er, in the first place, there were just over a billion people in the
People's Republic of China at the time.

In the second, Taiwan ("Republic of China") held the seat for China in the
UN. Practically every non-communist country in the world recognized the
Taiwanese government as "China". That didn't change until _after_ Nixon
recognized the PRC government.

Old 16-07-2007, 05:01 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

. dont buy canned mushrooms!!!!!!!!!!!!! go to your local mushroom
farm, buy a bunch, saute and freeze them for later use. they will
taste MUCH MUCH better and will be cheaper. Ingrid

Old 16-07-2007, 08:59 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Cyli wrote:

Yeah, but Taiwan was the _recognized_, as in officially, China for all
of U.S. legal purposes. Tagging of products was a legal purpose.

There was China and big China.

There were actually four China's during this period, the People's
Republic of China, the Republic of China, Hong Kong, and Macau. We
traded with three of them. Products from these three were tagged with
three different tags.

Population wise:
People's Republic of China: 1.3 billion (97.8%).
Republic of China: 0.023 billion (1.7%)
The former Hong Kong: 0.006 billion (.5%)
The former Macau: 0.0005 billion (.04%)

Old 17-07-2007, 06:41 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Mon, 16 Jul 2007 13:59:55 CST, "M. Fricker"
wrote:

Cyli wrote:

Yeah, but Taiwan was the _recognized_, as in officially, China for all
of U.S. legal purposes. Tagging of products was a legal purpose.

There was China and big China.

There were actually four China's during this period, the People's
Republic of China, the Republic of China, Hong Kong, and Macau. We
traded with three of them. Products from these three were tagged with
three different tags.

Yes. I remember at least two of them.

Population wise:
People's Republic of China: 1.3 billion (97.8%).
Republic of China: 0.023 billion (1.7%)
The former Hong Kong: 0.006 billion (.5%)
The former Macau: 0.0005 billion (.04%)

Stuff from Hong Kong was labeled that way. "Made in Hong Kong", as I
recall it. I never saw anything that I can remember as being from
Macau.
--

r.bc: vixen
Minnow goddess, Speaker to squirrels, willow watcher.
Almost entirely harmless. Really.

http://www.visi.com/~cyli

Rate This Thread: