Old 05-06-2007, 10:00 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Default State of Our Ponds (SOOP)

Location: Colorado Springs, CO
Winter disposition: Un covered, exposed to the elements.
Present state: Water clear, lily's up what numerous buds ready to
bloom. Water iris in full bloom, fish very active and feeding well.
Water cress taking over. LOL. So far so good.

Winter casualties: 7 koi.

Site address: http://home.pcisys.net/~muaddib/
New pictures soon...

W Dale

Old 05-06-2007, 11:38 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
k k is offline

Rough winter, eh?
Looking forward to new pictures.

k :-)

Old 07-06-2007, 10:13 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Tue, 5 Jun 2007 15:00:57 CST, wrote:

Location: Colorado Springs, CO
Winter disposition: Un covered, exposed to the elements.
Present state: Water clear, lily's up what numerous buds ready to
bloom. Water iris in full bloom, fish very active and feeding well.
Water cress taking over. LOL. So far so good.

Winter casualties: 7 koi.

Site address:
http://home.pcisys.net/~muaddib/
New pictures soon...
W Dale

What happened? :'( ~ jan
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

Old 08-06-2007, 05:09 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Jun 7, 3:13 pm, ~ jan wrote:
On Tue, 5 Jun 2007 15:00:57 CST, wrote:
Location: Colorado Springs, CO
Winter disposition: Un covered, exposed to the elements.
Present state: Water clear, lily's up what numerous buds ready to
bloom. Water iris in full bloom, fish very active and feeding well.
Water cress taking over. LOL. So far so good.

Winter casualties: 7 koi.

Site address:http://home.pcisys.net/~muaddib/
New pictures soon...
W Dale

What happened? :'( ~ jan
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds:www.jjspond.us

Hi Jan,
It was a very hard winter for us here in the Springs. And, it seemed
to hang on for an extra month! I lost 7 koi and the interesting thing
is that is seemed to be 7 healthy koi.
Things are better now, and I am looking to replace the ones that I
lost. Pond is looking good and the fish are eating well. Now I just
need to get some water hyacinths, water lettuce, and parrots feather
and life will be even better. Today and tomorrow out temps are in the
low to mid 60's and on Saturday we are suppose to be in the 80's.
Colorado for you. :-)
Nice to hear from you! How are things going in your neck of the pond?
Dale

Old 08-06-2007, 05:09 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

What is the state of your pond, fellow and sister ponders? :-)

W Dale

Old 08-06-2007, 03:27 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
mos mos is offline

On Jun 8, 12:09 am, wrote:
What is the state of your pond, fellow and sister ponders? :-)

W Dale

Here in Philadelphia, we have had a few really hot days. The
hyacinths I "acquired" have righted themselves on their pontoons and
are reproducing. The water is clear-ish, the lilly is sending out
leaves and the lotus is sending up some growth. I have to lug that
pot over to the sunnier side, however I have alot of shade due to the
evergreen that umbrellas my entire yard. My squatter greenfrog either
moved on, or was eatten. I have 13 fish, comets and shubunkins of
varied sizes, and it seems to have been a stable count over the last
couple years. I love the lushness in the warm Springtime, it's very
calming.

Maureen

Old 09-06-2007, 11:12 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Pond update: clear water, lilies blooming, fish swimming and birds
are singing! All is well here in Jersey. I have been quilting by the
pond - I'm a happy person....
Bonnie
NJ

Old 09-06-2007, 11:39 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Jun 8, 8:27 am, mos wrote:
On Jun 8, 12:09 am, wrote:

What is the state of your pond, fellow and sister ponders? :-)

W Dale

Here in Philadelphia, we have had a few really hot days. The
hyacinths I "acquired" have righted themselves on their pontoons and
are reproducing. The water is clear-ish, the lilly is sending out
leaves and the lotus is sending up some growth. I have to lug that
pot over to the sunnier side, however I have alot of shade due to the
evergreen that umbrellas my entire yard. My squatter greenfrog either
moved on, or was eatten. I have 13 fish, comets and shubunkins of
varied sizes, and it seems to have been a stable count over the last
couple years. I love the lushness in the warm Springtime, it's very
calming.

Maureen

Excellent, Maureen!
And don't you just love the calm?? :-) We all hope to see pictures of
your pond one day.
Have a great weekend!
Dale

Old 09-06-2007, 11:39 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

"New" plants...
Well, the waking up of the pond continues... Last year I gave my next
door neighbor some of my taro for his pond. Then I went and left mine
out through the winter. DUH! So today, my neighbor gave me a couple
of shoots of taro to add to my pond. So now I have a couple of tiny
new taro! Yea!!! Will post a picture of them on my pond page in the
near future..

Dale

Old 10-06-2007, 07:34 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

storms came thru couple Thursday night. lights went off. pump quit and
wouldnt work. took it apart and found impeller cracked, but worse,
nose piece that hold the black nib on the impeller shaft had a piece
cracked off.... why the pump wouldnt work.
it is a pondmaster, find a site, ordered the part... next Tuesday or
Wednesday.
water going green, fish ****ed I am not feeding them began attacking
the lilies again.
I took some marine epoxy, the stuff comes in a tube, cut off enough,
roll the stuff around to blend the two parts, apply to stop leaks, is
waterproof. well I used this to build up the missing piece, put the
black nib in it, assembled the whole works waited 2 hours for it to
harden and it has been working fine for the last 12 hours or so. all
it has to do is hold up until the parts arrive.
the water is clear already..... hoo haa. I just love my pond at night
with the light shining under the lily and the fish doing their slow
pirouettes (sp?) while side lit, especially the long finned koi.
Ingrid

Old 10-06-2007, 09:25 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Jun 10, 12:34 am, wrote:
[...]

KUDOS!, Ingrid and well done!

I can imagine the fish as I am sure there are used to being pampered
by you! LOL I am glad you were able to get it all fixed up and
running again. Your repair will probably last all season too! :-)

Dale

Old 10-06-2007, 09:26 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Jun 9, 4:12 pm, Bonnie wrote:
Pond update: clear water, lilies blooming, fish swimming and birds
are singing! All is well here in Jersey. I have been quilting by the
pond - I'm a happy person....
Bonnie
NJ

AHH .... the good life! :-)

Dale

Old 11-06-2007, 04:51 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

thankew, thankew ... it is still running. The replacement parts
arrive sometime this week and I will be retiring (but saving) the old
parts. Yeah, my koi are the reason for my pond. Which reminds me I
have to order their caviar ..... LOL. We were talking about our
success in no deaths for 5 years or so and DH says "nobody in, nobody
out" reflecting the "closed pond" system I have. No new fish. No new
diseases, and because the pond is netted, no extraneous critters
bringing stuff in either. I didnt even know he was paying
attention!!! Ingrid

Old 27-06-2007, 08:57 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Thank you Jim and Joe for the plants. My veggie filter will receive a
tremendous boost from these new additions as will the bio-mech
filters.
I am on my way to Laurel in the morning but will post some pictures
when I return.

Last year because of the proliferation of plants in the four filters,
I turned my UV filter off in Julyfor the remainder of the season and
had clear (very clear or 'crystal' clear) water all season long. This
year I will add some water changes to the equation to see if I can
help the growth of the koi and possibly their spawning. We will see.

Have a great week all! Oh, yes, I counted 13 blooms on my lilies
today! Yea!!

W Dale

Rate This Thread: