Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
  #16   Report Post  
Old 15-06-2007, 12:08 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by GardenBanter: May 2007
Posts: 6
Default OK - the first pond starts tomorrow

In article , ~ jan
writes
Having my own wrestling matches with yellow iris today. Since they spend
most of the summer in fish pots they really didn't grow much the last
couple of years, but oh my.... did they grow just this spring, they split
and ate the baskets, small hexagon size ones. To get them loose I had to
destroy the basket the rest of the way. The very last one I gave up as I
had plenty plus from the 1st two.

The pots by the front door now are sporting the iris and the floating
islands in 2 of the pots, the 3rd pot I decided to do iris and one of the
canna divides.

I'm in for a snack and then back out to do more iris wrestling, the lily
pond ones. Those won't be so bad... and the yellow one out there, I'm
seriously thinking of not putting it back in. Just how much yellow iris
does one pond person need? ;-) ~ jan


My yellow iris have gone berserk this year too! They have suddenly taken
over a third of the pond! I may not get around to thinning them though -
I am moving house next month!

Angela.


  #17   Report Post  
Old 15-06-2007, 01:34 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by GardenBanter: Jan 2007
Posts: 269
Default OK - the first pond starts tomorrow

Angela Lamb wrote:

My yellow iris have gone berserk this year too! They have suddenly taken
over a third of the pond! I may not get around to thinning them though -
I am moving house next month!

Angela.


He, he....mine are now securely penned down in a planter.....shame about
the blue and white irises that used to live in the bog garden as well
but they got swamped by the yellow a couple of years ago.....

So, for now my iris monsters are contained.....is it wise to let them go
out in the wild again once the pond is completed????? :-)

  #18   Report Post  
Old 15-06-2007, 02:13 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
k k is offline
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by GardenBanter: Jun 2007
Posts: 189
Default OK - the first pond starts tomorrow


So, for now my iris monsters are contained.....is it wise to let them go
out in the wild again once the pond is completed????? :-)


Only if you lock up the children and any small animals.
There seems to be a theme on RPM of yellow iris running amok.

k :-)

  #19   Report Post  
Old 15-06-2007, 04:22 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by GardenBanter: Dec 2006
Posts: 880
Default OK - the first pond starts tomorrow

Hi Gill,

Congrats on starting off on the pond.

I am just catching up on threads. I note your bamboo. I wonder if it
will be a porblem for your pond? Will it invade?

By all means post a pic of the work somewhere...with a link.

Don't post a pic of any dead animals.

Jim

  #20   Report Post  
Old 15-06-2007, 05:12 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by GardenBanter: Apr 2007
Posts: 1,503
Default OK - the first pond starts tomorrow

On Thu, 14 Jun 2007 18:34:07 CST, Gill Passman
wrote:

Angela Lamb wrote:

My yellow iris have gone berserk this year too! They have suddenly taken
over a third of the pond! I may not get around to thinning them though -
I am moving house next month!

Angela.

He, he....mine are now securely penned down in a planter.....shame about
the blue and white irises that used to live in the bog garden as well
but they got swamped by the yellow a couple of years ago.....

So, for now my iris monsters are contained.....is it wise to let them go
out in the wild again once the pond is completed????? :-)


Not if they're of the yellow variety, they'll eat the pond, the house, the
kids..... ;-) ~ jan
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us



  #21   Report Post  
Old 15-06-2007, 05:12 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by GardenBanter: Apr 2007
Posts: 1,503
Default OK - the first pond starts tomorrow

So, for now my iris monsters are contained.....is it wise to let them go
out in the wild again once the pond is completed????? :-)


Only if you lock up the children and any small animals.
There seems to be a theme on RPM of yellow iris running amok.
k :-)


I guess I should have read the whole thread before answering, but hey, a
2nd opinion on the same wave length. ;-) ~ jan
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

  #22   Report Post  
Old 15-06-2007, 01:37 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by GardenBanter: Jan 2007
Posts: 269
Default OK - the first pond starts tomorrow

Phyllis and Jim wrote:
Hi Gill,

Congrats on starting off on the pond.

I am just catching up on threads. I note your bamboo. I wonder if it
will be a porblem for your pond? Will it invade?

By all means post a pic of the work somewhere...with a link.

Don't post a pic of any dead animals.

Jim


The bamboo is the clump forming type and has not spread very far in the
5 years since it was planted. So far we have not come across any roots
and part of the hole is within 1 foot of one of the clumps and goes down
2 foot in depth. I must say that this has been a bit of a relief because
I was certainly concerned about the roots.

Not really a lot I can photograph at the moment - it is very much
digging in progress. It also seems to be expanding as we progress so
right now I can't predict its eventual volume. Hubby now wants to bring
it all the way up to the edge of the deck - something I had thought of
but never thought that he would consent to.....This will make the
deepest part of the pond around 3 foot or a little bit more. Because of
the need to have the edges level this means that I can go a bit further
back into the garden. The ground slopes towards the house, although we
are certainly going to need to build up the edges in places......

More digging over the weekend providing the weather holds, which is
unlikely. We had torrential rain overnight and looking at the colour of
the sky we are certainly in for some more. The soil is a heavy clay so
the wetness makes the task more arduous. Just wish we could get a digger
round the side of the house, but we can't, so it is all spade work.

Gill

  #23   Report Post  
Old 15-06-2007, 04:34 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by GardenBanter: Mar 2007
Posts: 322
Default OK - the first pond starts tomorrow

In article ,
Gill Passman wrote:

Phyllis and Jim wrote:
Hi Gill,

Congrats on starting off on the pond.

I am just catching up on threads. I note your bamboo. I wonder if it
will be a porblem for your pond? Will it invade?

By all means post a pic of the work somewhere...with a link.

Don't post a pic of any dead animals.

Jim


The bamboo is the clump forming type and has not spread very far in the
5 years since it was planted. So far we have not come across any roots
and part of the hole is within 1 foot of one of the clumps and goes down
2 foot in depth. I must say that this has been a bit of a relief because
I was certainly concerned about the roots.

Not really a lot I can photograph at the moment - it is very much
digging in progress. It also seems to be expanding as we progress so
right now I can't predict its eventual volume. Hubby now wants to bring
it all the way up to the edge of the deck - something I had thought of
but never thought that he would consent to.....This will make the
deepest part of the pond around 3 foot or a little bit more. Because of
the need to have the edges level this means that I can go a bit further
back into the garden. The ground slopes towards the house, although we
are certainly going to need to build up the edges in places......

More digging over the weekend providing the weather holds, which is
unlikely. We had torrential rain overnight and looking at the colour of
the sky we are certainly in for some more. The soil is a heavy clay so
the wetness makes the task more arduous. Just wish we could get a digger
round the side of the house, but we can't, so it is all spade work.

Gill


We have also had good experience with clumping bamboo and there are so
many varieties (depending on your location). We are using them now as a
privacy wall on one side of the yard and also around the pond area.
None of them (4 varieties) have ever spread.

Interesting tidbit I learned at the nursery. You can tell the difference
between clumping and non-clumping bamboo by looking at the stalk.
The clumping will be smooth all the way around, the non-clumping will
have a notch on one side running up the length of it.

--
To reply by email, remove the word "space"

  #24   Report Post  
Old 15-06-2007, 08:49 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by GardenBanter: Jan 2007
Posts: 269
Default OK - the first pond starts tomorrow

Kurt wrote:

We have also had good experience with clumping bamboo and there are so
many varieties (depending on your location). We are using them now as a
privacy wall on one side of the yard and also around the pond area.
None of them (4 varieties) have ever spread.


That is good to know.....I've got 3 varieties of bamboo and none of them
seem to have become invasive....the clumps around the site of the pond
are all the same species. I do need to hack them back two or three times
a year but the actual root clump isn't expanding.




Interesting tidbit I learned at the nursery. You can tell the difference
between clumping and non-clumping bamboo by looking at the stalk.
The clumping will be smooth all the way around, the non-clumping will
have a notch on one side running up the length of it.



Thanks...this confirms mine are all the of the clumping variety.

Gill

PS can't wait to see the reflection of the bamboo in the water of the
pond.....I'm getting a sneak preview with them being reflected in the
reservoir of the old water feature that I haven't moved yet because of
the frogs






  #25   Report Post  
Old 15-06-2007, 10:18 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by GardenBanter: Dec 2006
Posts: 880
Default OK - the first pond starts tomorrow

Great info. I never knew how to distinguish them.

Jim



  #26   Report Post  
Old 27-06-2007, 06:40 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by GardenBanter: Jun 2007
Posts: 4
Default OK - the first pond starts tomorrow

Okay, so this was ten days ago. How's the dig coming, Gill?

Oh, yeah... Hi!

steve

  #27   Report Post  
Old 27-06-2007, 07:03 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by GardenBanter: Jan 2007
Posts: 269
Default OK - the first pond starts tomorrow

Pond, James Pond wrote:
Okay, so this was ten days ago. How's the dig coming, Gill?

Oh, yeah... Hi!

steve


Well it's not......since the last bit of excavating it has done nothing
but rain, and heavily at that. It's been wet and miserable and some of
the rain has been torrential. We've not had it as bad as some parts of
the country thankfully.

Today the weather has been a bit better but is still taunting me on the
digging. By around 3pm the "hole" had dried out enough for me to think
about starting digging again - but by 3.30pm we had had another downpour
and it's back to square one. So, right now I have a part dug, unlined
hole without around 1" of water in the bottom.....

No sign of much improvement with the weather in the near future - I
think this could be a long project unless we actually get a summer in
the UK....

Thanks for asking

Gill

  #28   Report Post  
Old 27-06-2007, 07:58 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by GardenBanter: Jun 2007
Posts: 4
Default OK - the first pond starts tomorrow

snip.....
No sign of much improvement with the weather in the near future - I
think this could be a long project unless we actually get a summer in
the UK....

Thanks for asking

Gill


Ugh. And I though we had bad weather. Actually, it's hasn't been that
wet here (Seattle) at all. Not that it's been sunny! Just hasn't
rained very heavy of late. I put together a quickie web page so I
could share my pond progress with you and the other ponders here. I'll
start a new thread....

good luck when you do get a dry day.

ponds are cool,
steve

  #29   Report Post  
Old 27-06-2007, 07:58 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
k k is offline
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by GardenBanter: Jun 2007
Posts: 189
Default OK - the first pond starts tomorrow

Thought about your dig the other day when I
saw a picture of one of those distinctive red
telephone boothes almost covered in water.

Rain and kids on summer holiday too?
So not fair!

k :-)

  #30   Report Post  
Old 27-06-2007, 09:02 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by GardenBanter: Jan 2007
Posts: 269
Default OK - the first pond starts tomorrow

k wrote:
Thought about your dig the other day when I
saw a picture of one of those distinctive red
telephone boothes almost covered in water.

Rain and kids on summer holiday too?
So not fair!

k :-)


Nah, I'm still coping with soggy kids returning from school - greet them
at the door with a towel - lol.

Haven't checked the Thames out yet but it will be a day or so before the
flood waters make it down there.....other places are getting hit today
(Worcester tonight) - the telephone booths are in the areas not under
5-6 foot of water up North/Midlands.....

Latest downpour has just finished.....in for some more tonight but then
hopefully tomorrow might be drier....

Gill



Reply
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules

Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Should I worry when my pond starts getting fuzzy from string algae?? Mark and Kim Smith Ponds 2 03-10-2004 09:17 PM
Should I worry when my pond starts getting fuzzy from string algae?? Mark and Kim Smith Ponds 0 02-10-2004 07:44 PM
my first pond and other first pond Scott Vande Krol Ponds 7 29-06-2003 07:08 PM
Digging starts tomorrow Sue Alexandre Ponds 1 20-05-2003 02:20 AM
Truffle business starts literally from ground up Daniel B. Wheeler alt.forestry 0 06-11-2002 02:25 AM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 04:17 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2020 GardenBanter.co.uk.
The comments are property of their posters.
 

About Us

"It's about Gardening"

 

Copyright © 2017