Old 05-06-2007, 10:19 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Default OK - the first pond starts tomorrow

It has been a few years since I filled in the old pond (wrong location
and a small toddler)......the little one can now swim so the time is now
right again. There are three possible locations for a pond, all of
which, I'm sure will end up as ponds in the end. But for now, I need to
fix the water feature so extending it to a small puddle should not be
too much extra work.

The "water feature" consists of a reservoir taking the water up to a
prefab waterfall covered in rocks so looks reasonably natural. The
problem is that the darn thing leaks - so at the very least I will need
to lift it out and line it so all the water goes back into the reservoir
- a water feature doesn't look quite right if you need the hose pipe
running into it to keep it topped up when you run it - lol....the
resident frogs don't seem to care though....

So my thoughts are I may as well extend it to create a small
pond......the plan would be to line the drop into the reservoir but
continue to use the pre-fab (maybe)......remove the grilling and the
reservoir itself and dig out a bit further. The reservoir already goes
below the frost line so I don't need to go deeper.

The pond/puddle itself will not be of any great capacity.....I'm
thinking a few goldfish/shubunkins and a lot of oxygenating
plants......by the time the fish outgrow it the larger pond should be
under construction/finished. The top reservoir would be heavily planted
to act as a veggie filter (and I love watercress so that would probably
be the plant of choice). The circulation would be done by the existing
Hozelock pump (I forget it's exact turnover - it has been there for 5
years). I'm looking at a light fish stock and using plants and the
veggie filter to provide the only filtration.....the pump will aerate
the water.....

Anyone see any flaws in this plan? (apart from disturbing the frogs)

TIA
Gill

Old 05-06-2007, 11:21 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Gill Passman wrote:
[...]

Me? I'm forecasting a very hot summer. Will a veggie filter be enough?
You're talking small puddle and a 'few' fish........I have an uneasy feeling
about this Gill. Got some diagrams/dimensions/gallonage?
--
ßôyþëtë
London, UK

Old 05-06-2007, 11:37 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
k k is offline

I think it sounds good.
And thinking ahead of the game - soooo much
I would do differently now - but where's the fun
in that!
The next best thing to planning out a new pond
is watching over someone else's shoulder...

k :-)

Old 06-06-2007, 12:35 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

BoyPete wrote:

Me? I'm forecasting a very hot summer. Will a veggie filter be enough?
You're talking small puddle and a 'few' fish........I have an uneasy feeling
about this Gill. Got some diagrams/dimensions/gallonage?

Sadly, until I start out digging I can't give any stats on the size of
the thing....but think a lot of barrel water features, highly
oxygenated......may not even put in any fish but it would be a shame not
to.....the key, is to heavily plant, at least that is what I am working
on....and a very low fish bio-load.....not much different to the indoor
tanks coping with high temps.......

Gill

PS Have you still got that pond fleece on offer.....might take it off
your hands in the next day or so

Old 06-06-2007, 12:35 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

k wrote:
I think it sounds good.
And thinking ahead of the game - soooo much
I would do differently now - but where's the fun
in that!
The next best thing to planning out a new pond
is watching over someone else's shoulder...

k :-)

Ah, but this just a natural extension of a water feature I need to
fix......my eye is very much on the place for the real pond, he,
he......and yes, it does involve getting rid of some of that dratted
lawn.........however it is a pretty major project whereas this one is
simple.....if it just keeps the frogs happy I'll be happy but I want
plants and fish tooo......

Gill

Old 06-06-2007, 02:11 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
k k is offline

You must keep the frogs happy!
We took out the old frog bog and one of
them ended up on the deck talking to
us all night about it!

k :-)

Old 06-06-2007, 03:03 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

k wrote:
You must keep the frogs happy!
We took out the old frog bog and one of
them ended up on the deck talking to
us all night about it!

k :-)

Well, my guess about the frogs was entirely correct....lifted two rocks
and found two frogs. Put the rock back while I think of the best way to
deal with them without making them play things for the dog and cat. I'm
hoping that I can get them to jump into the reservoir once I get the
grid off of the top of it. It's not going to stop me doing the
groundwork though....it's just that I wanted to remove the waterfall to
get a better picture in my head as to how best to do this.....hey, ho.....

Gill

Old 06-06-2007, 10:04 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

BoyPete wrote:

Me? I'm forecasting a very hot summer. Will a veggie filter be enough?
You're talking small puddle and a 'few' fish........I have an uneasy feeling
about this Gill. Got some diagrams/dimensions/gallonage?

OK....I retract my first answer to this.....having just cleared the area
in question I think that the pond is going to be a bit bigger than I
first imagined......It will be around 8 foot in length with the width
varying from approx 7 foot down to 2'6" at the narrowest
part......haven't worked out how much this equates to in gallons as I
don't know until I start digging how deep I can go - certainly at least
2 foot at the deepest (probably more) but maybe only 1 foot max at the
shallowest - there is a soakaway pipe which I think I might avoid but
can't be sure until I shift some soil.

It's going to be a pretty odd shape as there are some big granite slabs
and bamboo clumps that need to be worked around, they are not about to
move, so I need to maybe look into how to do good joins on the pond
liner as I'm not convinced that I can do it all in one.

The digging will start tomorrow. As it all has to be done by hand (can't
get a digger down the side of the house) this may take a while.
Fortunately, with all the rain we have had recently the soil is still
quite damp and workable. It is a heavy clay soil so goes rock solid
after a few weeks of sun.

Gill

Old 07-06-2007, 12:00 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
k k is offline

Will there be some turns or jogs in the
shape?
Good luck with the digging. We have BOULDERS
in our yard (basketball size). One so big we had
to dig a hole beside it and get the football player
across the street to help roll it into its new hole.
(Our own football player needed about five years
growth before he could have done it...)

k :-)

Old 07-06-2007, 09:56 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Sounds good to me, Gill. As long as you work with a low fish load, a veggie
filter will be fine. If the next section of pond is going to be bigger and
deeper you might want to consider a bottom drain & skimmer at the time.
Maintenance wise they make life simpler.

What is your plan regarding keeping the fish from eating the frog eggs? I
always pulled my goldfish out in the spring and put them back when the
tadpoles were big enough not to be eaten. ~ jan
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

Old 10-06-2007, 11:23 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

~ jan wrote:
Sounds good to me, Gill. As long as you work with a low fish load, a veggie
filter will be fine. If the next section of pond is going to be bigger and
deeper you might want to consider a bottom drain & skimmer at the time.
Maintenance wise they make life simpler.

What is your plan regarding keeping the fish from eating the frog eggs? I
always pulled my goldfish out in the spring and put them back when the
tadpoles were big enough not to be eaten. ~ jan
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

My main concern right now is to get the frogs to a place of safety while
the construction work is going on......I have a cunning plan of getting
the school to take them into their natural pond....afterall I'm pretty
sure that that is where they came from in the first place.....

As with every project things are going on a pace and expanding all the
time - especially now hubbie is involved and digging......I'm not sure
about a bottom drain but we are definitely now on to filter and
UV.......if he keeps on digging deeper we are considering Koi - the size
is now in the upper 100's of galls......

House has been full of mud today......I am so, so glad we don't have
carpets....to be fair some of it has come from yesterday's off-roading
the Land Rover so not all my pond to blame.....

Gill

Old 11-06-2007, 09:39 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
k k is offline

Ah, stealth frogs!

We once had a mass froggy nursery going
at school when a teacher de-frogged her
parents' pool cover. We had eggs, tadpoles
and frogs trying to escape being chased by
second graders up and down the hallways.

k :-)

Old 11-06-2007, 10:59 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

k wrote:
Ah, stealth frogs!

We once had a mass froggy nursery going
at school when a teacher de-frogged her
parents' pool cover. We had eggs, tadpoles
and frogs trying to escape being chased by
second graders up and down the hallways.

k :-)

They have a tank of tadpoles already in the classroom.....I'm not overly
concerned that if my chap does a runner (or I catch him and give
him/them to the school) that they won't be back.....

The pond is ending up much bigger than I had hoped for....the joys of
letting dear hubby take over the project and then him think my ideas are
his own.......might even end up big enough and deep enough for Koi....

Right now we have a massive lump of concrete to break up that runs
through the middle of the pond.....personally I think it would make a
great bridge but the practicalities of lining the thing have been
pointed out....but maybe......however, sadly, on the boys and toys thing
I think he is looking forward to using the power tool to demolish it.....

Not done too much today on it.......hurt my shoulder digging yesterday
and I'm nowhere near as efficient as hubby in shifting the soil....and
if he has volunteered I'm not complaining....shame we can't get a digger
round the back but it is no go.....even the foundations for our
conservatory (6 foot deep plus) had to be dug by hand......and your
standard UK builder would have got a digger in if they could.....lol

Bog garden got sacrificed.....we needed somewhere to put
soil.....amazing how much comes out......all my irises are sitting in a
wooden planter lined with plastic and saturated (anyone in the UK want
some yellow irises????)....shame is that it was the wrong time to move
them as they are just starting to flower....but boy......I'm not going
to need to buy any irises for the bog part of the pond....I find it
incredible how many plants you end up with as you start to split the
things (they have been in situ for 5 years).......

So now I have another part of the garden to replan.....I don't mind I
love it......

Gill

Old 12-06-2007, 12:11 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Mon, 11 Jun 2007 15:59:22 CST, Gill Passman
wrote:

Bog garden got sacrificed.....we needed somewhere to put
soil.....amazing how much comes out......all my irises are sitting in a
wooden planter lined with plastic and saturated (anyone in the UK want
some yellow irises????)...Gill

Having my own wrestling matches with yellow iris today. Since they spend
most of the summer in fish pots they really didn't grow much the last
couple of years, but oh my.... did they grow just this spring, they split
and ate the baskets, small hexagon size ones. To get them loose I had to
destroy the basket the rest of the way. The very last one I gave up as I
had plenty plus from the 1st two.

The pots by the front door now are sporting the iris and the floating
islands in 2 of the pots, the 3rd pot I decided to do iris and one of the
canna divides.

I'm in for a snack and then back out to do more iris wrestling, the lily
pond ones. Those won't be so bad... and the yellow one out there, I'm
seriously thinking of not putting it back in. Just how much yellow iris
does one pond person need? ;-) ~ jan
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

Old 12-06-2007, 02:21 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
k k is offline

Whilst driving over Lake Washington
in Seattle last week I noticed yellow iris
attempting to take over the lake. I think
we've stumbled over a plot!

k :-)

Rate This Thread: