Old 12-06-2007, 01:22 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Default OT - Out of Africa

My son and I spent the last 10 days in South Africa, where we hunted
and I spent some time speaking to pastors and congregational members
about crisis, trauma and grief.

I had hoped to have a look at some ponds and lakes there.
Unfortunately, it is the middle of thier dry season (winter!). The
lakes and ponds were very low.

It is hard to believe how beautiful the country is! Fields, hills,
some mountains. The great herds of game are now much fewer and, in
many areas, restricted to very large ranch/preserves (5000-100,000
acres...mostly larger than the normal territory of the game itself.

Here is a link to a pic of the result of my gemsbok hunt.

http://groups.google.com/group/The-F...?part=2&view=1

Jim

Old 12-06-2007, 11:21 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Phyllis and Jim wrote:
My son and I spent the last 10 days in South Africa, where we hunted
and I spent some time speaking to pastors and congregational members
about crisis, trauma and grief.

I had hoped to have a look at some ponds and lakes there.
Unfortunately, it is the middle of thier dry season (winter!). The
lakes and ponds were very low.

It is hard to believe how beautiful the country is! Fields, hills,
some mountains. The great herds of game are now much fewer and, in
many areas, restricted to very large ranch/preserves (5000-100,000
acres...mostly larger than the normal territory of the game itself.

Here is a link to a pic of the result of my gemsbok hunt.

http://groups.google.com/group/The-F...ch/7fd0055984c
1ae8e/IMG_0158.jpg?part=2&view=1

Nice pic, Jim. Looks like a clean shot, too!

~Semper Fi~

Old 12-06-2007, 11:50 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Tue, 12 Jun 2007 06:22:43 CST, Phyllis and Jim
wrote:

Here is a link to a pic of the result of my gemsbok hunt.

http://groups.google.com/group/The-F...?part=2&view=1

Since it would be a long way to pack & ship it, what became of this animal?
Mount the head, save the hide, give the meat to the needy? ~ jan
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

Old 13-06-2007, 05:01 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Thanks Nick. The first shot was on the right side, just behind the
leg. Got both lungs and the heart. The exit is what is visible in
the pic. Got a zebra, impala and warthog as well.

Jim

http://groups.google.com/group/The-F...attach/7fd0055...
1ae8e/IMG_0158.jpg?part=2&view=1

Nice pic, Jim. Looks like a clean shot, too!

~Semper Fi~- Hide quoted text -

Old 13-06-2007, 05:25 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Takes about a year. They will do the heade and tan the reas as rugs.
The zebra will be a rug. The meat is sold. Between us, we ook al,ost
2000 lbs fo food.

Jim

Old 13-06-2007, 05:45 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Default OT - killing wild animals (Out of Africa)

I wonder if this could go private? Ingrid

Old 13-06-2007, 06:54 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Phyllis and Jim wrote:
My son and I spent the last 10 days in South Africa, where we hunted
and I spent some time speaking to pastors and congregational members
about crisis, trauma and grief.

Here is a link to a pic of the result of my gemsbok hunt.

http://groups.google.com/group/The-F...?part=2&view=1

That is AWESOME!!!

I invite you to post a recap story of your hunt (as well as links to
more pictures) to rec.hunting (I'm the moderator of that group).

--

+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +
Chris Barnes AOL IM: CNBarnes

Old 13-06-2007, 10:56 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

I recognize the sensitivity of the topic and do not want to introduce
controversy into our POND discussions. I intended the post as a
comment among friends in a community. I am happy to move the
discussion to a private arena.

Jim

Old 14-06-2007, 12:32 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

wrote:
I wonder if this could go private? Ingrid

That's what I did. ;-/

~Semper Fi~

Old 14-06-2007, 02:10 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Nick Cramer wrote:

But, Ron, this is not a "fully" open forum, it's a moderated pond group.
While I wholeheartedly approve of postings relating to the other activities
of ponders, I, too, think that after a few exchanges, it's better if it go
offline, which is what I've now done.

I considered responding privately to this to both Jim and yourself, but
have decided that I will add to what you say publically. Yes, it is
interesting to hear about others off-topic experiences but it becomes
difficult when it is an emotive subject such as this. Yes, it is a
moderated group, but IMO this should not stiffle the other stuff and the
general chattiness and friendships that are all part of any internet
group....but also IMO certain things should get taken off-line if it
appears to upset some members of a group.....and it is not always the
majority who are either vocal in discussing positively or those that
choose to hold their own counsel that matter.....if anyone is truly
offended and upset and vocalises this then you can bet there are umpteen
others that do not wish to post their opinions.....

With respect to off-topic posts I have always maintained right from the
start before I had any involvement in the formation of rpm that they can
be healthy for the community spirit of a group and in fact actually make
the difference between a very clinical group or one that people want to
join and participate in - it is to be hoped and my personal belief that
this is very much how we all want this group to develop.......but I also
believe that it is relevant and appropriate to listen to all members of
the group and respect their feelings and wishes.....IMO this topic
should now be discussed away from rpm by those interested.......and I
will confess to not be one of them.....Now some pics of the beasts
running free in their natural habitat - great.....

Gill
Speaking entirely for herself and not on behalf of the RPM moderation
team in the slightest

Old 14-06-2007, 06:13 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

I am sorry if the hunting pic hs been offensive to some of rpm.

I share the view that it is fine for us to have some OT posts about
activities...or I would not have posted.

Additionally, I do not want to have a post be unnecessarily offensive
or too prolonged.

In particular, I don't want to have a post about an activity become a
matter of substantial controversy. That shifts the forum from a pond
discussion group with various social elements to a group for debating
hunting. I am cheerful to move further discussion of hunting off the
board. We would benefit by not having a notice thread become a focus
of debate or controversy.

Jim

Old 14-06-2007, 09:25 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Gill Passman wrote:
Nick Cramer wrote:

[...]

What I said, Gill! But you fleshed it out nicely. Thanks.

Gotta check my "pond" tomorrow and see if it's time to get the
Mosquitofish. I've got three grandkids living here, ages 2, 4 & 6. Don't
want them picking anything up from those little flying pests!

~Semper Fi~

Old 14-06-2007, 05:36 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

In article .com,
Phyllis and Jim wrote:

I am sorry if the hunting pic hs been offensive to some of rpm.

I share the view that it is fine for us to have some OT posts about
activities...or I would not have posted.

Additionally, I do not want to have a post be unnecessarily offensive
or too prolonged.

In particular, I don't want to have a post about an activity become a
matter of substantial controversy. That shifts the forum from a pond
discussion group with various social elements to a group for debating
hunting. I am cheerful to move further discussion of hunting off the
board. We would benefit by not having a notice thread become a focus
of debate or controversy.

Jim

OT is fine, but we need to be aware of sensitive issues. My fish are my
pets, too.
I also work in the Pet Industry (I designed and am co-managing
PetSource.org - We also hope to expand our Aquatic area soon to include
all things related to ponds).
Content is being updated daily for our hard launch in July.

Old 14-06-2007, 07:48 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Default Petsource.org... was OT Out of Africa

On Thu, 14 Jun 2007 10:36:53 CST, Kurt wrote:

I also work in the Pet Industry (I designed and am co-managing
PetSource.org - We also hope to expand our Aquatic area soon to include
all things related to ponds).
Content is being updated daily for our hard launch in July.

Cool. Looking forward to this, anything to further the hobby.

Btw, There is a BIG hole in the Tri-City area for a water gardening store,
if any franchise or enterprising person is looking for a great place to
live, good schools, good land prices, etc. Cities and surrounding area has
a population of about 250-300,000. Currently all we have are nurseries, and
one sky high, no plants, pond shop.... and a few pet shops with few pond
supplies. ~ jan
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

Rate This Thread: