Old 16-06-2007, 11:21 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Default Those missing frogs

The other day as I sat here at my PC which is by a window overlooking my
ponds, I saw a mocking bird harassing something in the hostas. I went
outside to see what the bird's problem was. It was a large black snake.
The bird must have a nest nearby to keep at the snake as it did. It was
diving at the snakes head.

Then while sitting on the porch having our after dinner coffee a few
evenings later.... there in the flowerbox, sunning itself before the sun
went down - was another, smaller black snake.

That's where our missing froggies went. :*(

--

RM....
Frugal ponding since 1995.

Old 17-06-2007, 05:49 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Too bad about the snake. A black racer?

We had a diamondback water snake visit here last year. It helped
itself to some goldfish before it went to the happy hunting ground.
This year we had a visitor and then it relocated by itself.

Jim

Old 17-06-2007, 07:10 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

"Phyllis and Jim" wrote in message
ps.com...
Too bad about the snake. A black racer?

Yes. They're quite common here.

We had a diamondback water snake visit here last year. It helped
itself to some goldfish before it went to the happy hunting ground.
This year we had a visitor and then it relocated by itself.

So far I don't think we've had any poisonous snakes in our ponds. I'm not
good recognizing the different snakes. We relocate them to the nearby Percy
Priest lake when we catch them,.. or when I catch them.

--

RM....
Frugal ponding since 1995.

Old 18-06-2007, 10:43 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

The year I got the letter to quiet my "pets". Kathy said I should put out a
notice something to the effect of: Due to complaints received regarding the
croaking frogs, several large snakes have been hire to take care of the
problem. Please keep all small children and pets inside during this time.

I now have 4 wakins, as my friend managed to catch a really nicely marked
one. I'm really excited about my new "fish" pond. I've moved a lot of the
taddies down to the kiddy pool and the short stock tank with the hope males
will come back there next year and not be lured to the lily pond. ~ jan
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

Rate This Thread: