Old 17-06-2007, 11:39 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Default Question about irises

I've always grown mine in a bog garden - ie. water saturated soil. I'm
wondering if it is possible to grow them as a marginal - ie. the rhizome
is underwater.....I know it is a dumb question but I'm trying to
formulate ideas for this ever evolving pond project

TIA
Gill

Old 18-06-2007, 12:44 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

In article , Gill Passman
writes
I've always grown mine in a bog garden - ie. water saturated soil. I'm
wondering if it is possible to grow them as a marginal - ie. the rhizome
is underwater.....I know it is a dumb question but I'm trying to
formulate ideas for this ever evolving pond project

Yes, that is where I grow mine and they are thriving.

Angela.

Old 18-06-2007, 01:22 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
k k is offline

They loooooove to be marginals.
If you go to the slide show you can see the
iris just beginning on their island in the frog
hunting photo. The iris in the waterfall is a
hunk we hacked off last spring. Then iris
island is the result of the first planting.
Their 'island' is a big, oil filter type planter
that is full of holes. The island alternates
between being at water level to under
water depending on the pond level.

k :-)
http://tinyurl.com/6bguh ~ new pond keeper info
http://tinyurl.com/yp64db ~ slide show of pond

Old 18-06-2007, 03:01 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

"Angela Lamb" wrote in message
In article , Gill Passman
writes
I've always grown mine in a bog garden - ie. water saturated soil. I'm
wondering if it is possible to grow them as a marginal - ie. the rhizome
is underwater.....I know it is a dumb question but I'm trying to
formulate ideas for this ever evolving pond project

Yes, that is where I grow mine and they are thriving.

Angela.

I have one iris that has the rhizome submerged at one end of the pond in
about 4 inches of water. It's bloomed every year for the past three years
and is doing fine.

George

Old 18-06-2007, 08:43 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

"Gill Passman" wrote in message
I've always grown mine in a bog garden - ie. water saturated soil. I'm
wondering if it is possible to grow them as a marginal - ie. the rhizome
is underwater.....I know it is a dumb question but I'm trying to formulate
ideas for this ever evolving pond project

==================
Bearded iris wont tolerate wet soils but the water loving Louisiana iris
will thrive.
--
RM....
Frugal ponding since 1995.

Old 18-06-2007, 11:43 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

"Gill Passman" wrote in message
. ..
I've always grown mine in a bog garden - ie. water saturated soil. I'm
wondering if it is possible to grow them as a marginal - ie. the rhizome
is underwater.....I know it is a dumb question but I'm trying to formulate
ideas for this ever evolving pond project

==================
Bearded iris wont tolerate wet soils but the water loving Louisiana iris
will thrive.
--
RM....

What about Japanese Iris? ~ jan
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

Old 18-06-2007, 05:51 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Gill Passman wrote:

I've always grown mine in a bog garden - ie. water saturated soil. I'm
wondering if it is possible to grow them as a marginal - ie. the rhizome
is underwater.....I know it is a dumb question but I'm trying to
formulate ideas for this ever evolving pond project

It probably depends on the iris, but I've grown my blue & yellow ones
bare-root in the veggie filter, in wet soil, in the bog, and the blues at
least grow wild in barely damp soil.
--
derek
- Unless otherwise noted, I speak for myself, not rec.ponds.moderated

Old 18-06-2007, 07:59 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Derek Broughton wrote:

It probably depends on the iris, but I've grown my blue & yellow ones
bare-root in the veggie filter, in wet soil, in the bog, and the blues at
least grow wild in barely damp soil.

Thanks everyone for your replies. I guess I have so many of the things
that I can experiment with some bare root, some in a bog area and some
in planters, but from the answers here and a bit of googling it looks as
if my main problem will be too many of the things rather than killing
some off by experimenting

Thanks
Gill

Old 18-06-2007, 10:02 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

"~ jan" wrote:

"Gill Passman" wrote in message
I've always grown mine in a bog garden - ie. water saturated soil. I'm
wondering if it is possible to grow them as a marginal - ie. the rhizome
is underwater.....I know it is a dumb question but I'm trying to formulate
ideas for this ever evolving pond project

==================
Bearded iris wont tolerate wet soils but the water loving Louisiana iris
will thrive.
--
RM....

What about Japanese Iris? ~ jan
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

Hi Jan,

I have variegated Japanese Iris in a pot in the pond. The water comes about
half way up the pot. I've tried submerging them though.

San Diego Joe
4,000 - 5,000 Gallons.
Koi, Goldfish, and RES named Colombo.

Old 18-06-2007, 10:03 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

"~ jan" wrote in message
"Gill Passman" wrote in message
.. .
I've always grown mine in a bog garden - ie. water saturated soil. I'm
wondering if it is possible to grow them as a marginal - ie. the rhizome
is underwater.....I know it is a dumb question but I'm trying to
formulate
ideas for this ever evolving pond project

==================
Bearded iris wont tolerate wet soils but the water loving Louisiana iris
will thrive.
--
RM....

What about Japanese Iris? ~ jan

================================
The ones I have that are called Japanese iris do well in both the general
flower beds and in the ponds. But the woman who gave them to me wasn't sure
that they really were JI's. She bought them on sale at Home Depot years
ago. To me they look like smaller, shorter Louisiana iris. I have blue and
red ones.
--

RM....
Frugal ponding since 1995.

Old 19-06-2007, 04:01 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

What about Japanese Iris? ~ jan
------------

I have variegated Japanese Iris in a pot in the pond. The water comes about
half way up the pot. I've tried submerging them though.
San Diego Joe

Thanks, Joe and RM. I have a friend who has some and is going to try it,
they are tallish and slender of leaf, IIRC. Sounds like I can give her
encouraging words. ~ jan
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

Old 19-06-2007, 05:59 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Have a question about dividing these ..the 2 baskets that are in our
pond no longer actually look like basket sthey are sooo ovegrown so I
want divide & conquer. As it is such a short season here I am hoping
I can do it soon once they stop flowering so as to give them ample
time to get over the shock before the cold sets in. At the moment 1
basket is at the edge the other somewhere around the middle depending
on where the wind has blown it last(lots of cinder blocks in middle so
it just wanders around) On a similarish note think it is finally time
to get the gunk out of the bottom; everything was doing so well we
didn't want to disturb it, but now whenever you move something the
debris stirred up is unreal and I figure it might mean filters stay
clean more than a day or two. So how do I go about this efficiently
and with relative ease. Pond is 15' x 21', sloping sides to
3.5'approx, 8200 US gal / 31200 L - Dug with EPGM Liner - ZONE 3
so a shop vac seems out of the question. Is there a "good & easy "
way or am I screwed.

Elaine

Old 19-06-2007, 10:13 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

"earhtmother" wrote in message
oups.com...
So how do I go about this efficiently
and with relative ease. Pond is 15' x 21', sloping sides to
3.5'approx, 8200 US gal / 31200 L - Dug with EPGM Liner - ZONE 3
so a shop vac seems out of the question. Is there a "good & easy "
way or am I screwed.

=========================
I think you're "screwed." Our largest pond is 2000 and unless we drain it
down and remove all grunge the filter misses it clouds the water and filters
almost daily. What we do is remove the old bird-net, drain it down to the
largest koi's dorsal fin, net them out and drain it to the bottom. We hose
the grunge off the algae on the sides and the plant pots left in place,
leaving the algae untouched. The last little bit of dirty water and gravel
is sucked out with a shop vac. The settling tank is drained and hosed. The
pond is then re-netted, refilled and "aerated" for 24 hours, then the
regular pumps/filters turned on and the fish are returned to it. It's a
dirty all day job.
--

RM....
Frugal ponding since 1995.

Old 20-06-2007, 05:45 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

In article ,
"Reel McKoi" wrote:

[...]

How often do you do this? I'm trying to have a pond about that size that
only requires a "sediment suck" on a minimal basis - without removing
anything.

Old 20-06-2007, 07:58 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Tue, 19 Jun 2007 21:45:55 CST, Kurt wrote:

How often do you do this? I'm trying to have a pond about that size that
only requires a "sediment suck" on a minimal basis - without removing
anything.

Put in a bottom drain to filter and you won't ever have to drain the pond
to clean, it will all get sucked out continuously to the filter. ~ jan
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

Rate This Thread:

[IMG] code is On

Question about irises Gwen Morse Gardening 7 28-06-2004 03:03 AM
bearded irises blooming NOW PV North Carolina 4 05-11-2003 09:42 PM
irises Raleighgirl North Carolina 0 01-05-2003 06:47 PM
Reblooming Irises have not started to grow - are they dead? :( BillC Gardening 5 26-04-2003 10:20 PM
irises Raleighgirl North Carolina 0 07-04-2003 06:33 PM