GardenBanter.co.uk

-   Ponds (moderated) (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/ponds-moderated/)
-   -   Liner in Southern Ontario? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/ponds-moderated/160700-liner-southern-ontario.html)

Bill Stock 24-06-2007 06:27 PM

Liner in Southern Ontario?

I'm starting to look at the liner for my small expansion and I'm getting a
bit of sticker shock.

The new pond will NOT be that much bigger than the old one, so I was
surprised when liner size started coming out in the neighbourhood of 20x22.
I'll go with 20x25 to be safe, but I suspect 20x20 would still leave me with
a butt load of extra.

So the quotes are around $300, which I guess I can live with. But the
shipping looks like the real sticky part. One place has this big disclaimer
about going to the truck terminal or giving up an arm for a curbside
delivery (your forklift required) or giving up both legs for a tailgate
curbside delivery.

So has anyone in Mississauga picked up a liner this size locally, without
all the hassles? ie. does some place like Canadian Tire or Home Depot carry
liner this big?

G Pearce 24-06-2007 10:37 PM

Liner in Southern Ontario?

Hi Bill - $.60 sq ft is cheap here in Ontario for Epdm, if that is what your
looking at - PVC doesn't stand up to our freeze/thaw cycles for more than ~5
yrs and have heard of problems with Permalon up here as well - It may work
well down in warmer climates, but I understand the jury is still out on
Permalon up here
I gather you know how to measure for liner ( length of hole at longest
point + 2 X depth at deepest point for lenght and width of hole at widest
point + 2 X depth at deepest point for width , then add a foot more to both
measures for trimming) - Don't forget the waterfall if you are going to have
one, so you have 1 solid sheet of liner - piecing or overlapping it is
cheaper, but leaves one open to a myriad of pitfalls (leaks)
Gale :~)

Bill Stock 25-06-2007 01:44 AM

Liner in Southern Ontario?

"G Pearce" wrote in message
Hi Bill - $.60 sq ft is cheap here in Ontario for Epdm, if that is what
your looking at - PVC doesn't stand up to our freeze/thaw cycles for more
than ~5 yrs and have heard of problems with Permalon up here as well - It
may work well down in warmer climates, but I understand the jury is still
out on Permalon up here
I gather you know how to measure for liner ( length of hole at longest
point + 2 X depth at deepest point for lenght and width of hole at widest
point + 2 X depth at deepest point for width , then add a foot more to
both measures for trimming) - Don't forget the waterfall if you are going
to have one, so you have 1 solid sheet of liner - piecing or overlapping
it is cheaper, but leaves one open to a myriad of pitfalls (leaks)
Gale :~)

Yeah, it's not so much the price as the delivery charges that could be
scary. I've got a RFQ out now from a place I've dealt with before.

New pond will be roughly 10*8*4, with the 8 and the 4 being hopeful.
Unfortunately the pond will be going from an attractive oval space to a less
attractive triangle. I'm thinking the Waterfall will go in one corner to
maximize the gallonage. So the 25 should give me lots of room to attach the
liner to the new weir.

I got the tree moved yesterday, but it did not go well. I suspect I'll be
planting a new one in the spring.

Next week will be moving the fish and starting the dig. The bottom drain and
filter will be in there somewhere too. I think I'll be digging the tunnel
for the drain in about two weeks, so if you're within a hundred miles, plug
your ears. :-)

Doug Brown 25-06-2007 08:07 AM

Liner in Southern Ontario?

Look for a commercial roofing company and buy 45 mil EPDM roofing material.
Should be a whole lot cheaper. I bought my liner from a commercial roofer
about 10 years ago and it has been completely trouble free.

You might try the following company, Vic West , they are not in Mississauga
but Oakville isn't that far.
OAKVILLE - Manufacturing & Sales Office
1296 South Service Road West
Oakville, ON L6L 5T7
Tel.: (905) 825-2252
(800) 387-7135
Fax: (905) 825-2272
E-mail:

G Pearce 25-06-2007 08:07 AM

Liner in Southern Ontario?

Nope - 280 miles - 35 miles east of Windsor
Gale :~)))))))))))))))))))))))

©anadian Ponder[_2_] 25-06-2007 03:30 PM

Liner in Southern Ontario?

Bill Stock wrote:
[...]

I use the PVC liner that came with one of those Beckett kits at Home
Depot and I think it has a small leak after 4 years since I lose a lot
of water near the top.

Next year I was planning on making my pond deeper and making sure I add
a depression for draining and easy cleaning.

I will keep in mind about this EPDM liner as I was going to use the PVC
stuff again.

A quick search on E-bay gives me prices under $100 for that size of EPDM
liner or I was just approach a roofing company and they will cut you a
piece for a reasonable price.

Phyllis and Jim 25-06-2007 03:31 PM

Liner in Southern Ontario?

Most of us will second Doug's recommendation. The roofing liner is
the same stuff as 'pond' edpm. You can wash off the light powder that
is often on it. In the years Phyllis and I have been on rec.ponds and
rpm, no one has reported any problem with roofing edpm. We used it on
our berm ponds, behind the waterfalls and under the streams.

Jim

G Pearce 26-06-2007 04:22 AM

Liner in Southern Ontario?

PVC does exactly what your experience shows up here in the "North" - it gets
brittle and cracks in the freezing temps - my EPDM liner is 12 yrs old - no
leak other than the waterfall, which I have to adjust for each year to
control ( cut too short at installation and have been paying for it since )
Gale :~)