Old 28-06-2007, 07:35 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Default Algae in corners of pond

George wrote:
"BoyPete" wrote in message
George wrote:
"Paul" wrote in message
. ..
Well according to test strips these are the results: Nitrate 0
Nitrite 0
Ttl Hardness 150ppm Ttl Alkalinity Moderate/80ppm Ph 8.0.
The date
stamped on botton is 03/2006 A lot of algae is in the filter
itself...............Thanks

The Ph seems to be really high for a freshwater pond. I keep mine
at 7.4 or below.

My pond, now 13 months old, has always given 8 to 8.5 for Ph. I've
had no problems.
I have some string algae, and the pond planting is going wild! Algae
is a fact of life, I wouldn't worry about it.
--
ßôyþëtë
London, UK

Is that the Ph of London municipal water? Sounds like seawater to me.
What's your salinity?

George

LOL No idea
--
ßôyþëtë
London, UK

Old 28-06-2007, 10:14 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Wed, 27 Jun 2007 23:35:01 CST, Nick Cramer wrote:

Check out http://www.appliedbiochemists.com/cutrine.htm for algae control.
It's fish friendly.

Ooow, ouch, I wouldn't normally recommend herbicides, too easy to overdose
a small pond. Even though it says it is plant and fish safe, I've seen
plants fail to thrive in ponds using algaefix, another popular algaecide
for ponders. ~ jan
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

Old 28-06-2007, 10:14 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

"Nick Cramer" wrote in message
"George" wrote:
"Reel McKoi" wrote in message
"George" wrote in message

The Ph seems to be really high for a freshwater pond. I keep mine at
7.4 or below. I also find it very hard to believe that your nitrate
levels are 0.

The algae may be soaking it up.

If there are no nitrates in the water, what is the algae feeding off
of?

That's where it's probably going!

There has to be some, otherwise the algae would not continue to grow.

Check out http://www.appliedbiochemists.com/cutrine.htm for algae
control.
It's fish friendly.

Thank a Veteran and Support Our Troops. You are not forgotten. Thanks ! !
!
~Semper Fi~

I don't have an algae problem, though I'm sure the OP will appreciate the
link.

George

Old 28-06-2007, 10:15 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

"BoyPete" wrote in message
George wrote:
"BoyPete" wrote in message
George wrote:
"Paul" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

No offense intended about the drinking water in London. You can get a
hydrometer pretty cheaply at a pet supply shop and find out. Make sure you
get one with as wide a range as possible. Or better yet, just ask your
water authority what it is supposed to be.

George

Old 28-06-2007, 11:08 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

wrote:

Check out http://www.appliedbiochemists.com/cutrine.htm for algae
control. It's fish friendly.

Ooow, ouch, I wouldn't normally recommend herbicides, too easy to
overdose a small pond. Even though it says it is plant and fish safe,
I've seen plants fail to thrive in ponds using algaefix, another popular
algaecide for ponders. ~ jan

I certainly wouldn't recommend Copper Sulfate to the home ponder!

~Semper Fi~

Old 28-06-2007, 11:08 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

"George" wrote:
"BoyPete" wrote in message
George wrote:
"BoyPete" wrote in message
George wrote:
"Paul" wrote in message

[...]

I've used pH rolls for decades, for various things. One source is

http://catalog.miniscience.com/catal...s/Default.html

~Semper Fi~

Old 28-06-2007, 05:32 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

neither would I ... tricky, very tricky. much better to deal with the
cause of overgrowth of algae. Ingrid

Old 28-06-2007, 05:32 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

just get a pond salt test kit. they are cheap and more accurate for
our ponds. Ingrid

Old 28-06-2007, 05:33 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Nobody should add salt to their water until they have done a salt test
to determine the native level of salt in their water. Especially
anyone near a coast. I disagree, there is a lot of evidence that a
low level of salt in the water helps stimulate slime coat and is
protective to fish especially when they get dinged during spawning, or
on rocks, etc. Ingrid

On Wed, 27 Jun 2007 13:57:24 CST, ~ jan wrote:
If there is not a problem with your fish, there is no need for salt...

Old 28-06-2007, 05:33 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

they live off the level of nitrates that are below testing levels. I
have never had a healthy pond test anything but zero to all three
tests. Ingrid

Old 28-06-2007, 07:44 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Thu, 28 Jun 2007 03:08:14 CST, Nick Cramer wrote:

Check out http://www.appliedbiochemists.com/cutrine.htm for algae
control. It's fish friendly.

Ooow, ouch, I wouldn't normally recommend herbicides, too easy to
overdose a small pond. Even though it says it is plant and fish safe,
I've seen plants fail to thrive in ponds using algaefix, another popular
algaecide for ponders. ~ jan

I certainly wouldn't recommend Copper Sulfate to the home ponder!

Is the Copper in this stuff a different (safer?) compound? ~ jan
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

Old 28-06-2007, 09:17 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

~ jan wrote:
On Thu, 28 Jun 2007 03:08:14 CST, Nick Cramer

Check out http://www.appliedbiochemists.com/cutrine.htm for algae
control. It's fish friendly.
[ . . . ]

Is the Copper in this stuff a different (safer?) compound?

The copper itself is the same. An excellent article on the differences
between CuSO4 and chelated copper may be found at
http://www.bassresource.com/fish_bio...ae_copper.html from which I
briefly quote:

"For many years, nuisance algae blooms have been treated with copper
compounds, namely copper sulfate products. Metallic copper has proven to be
a powerful algaecide, however there are a number of potentially negative
side effects when using copper sulfate products."

"If you must use an algaecide, [i] strongly recommend using a product with
a chelated copper compound. These compounds are also using metallic copper
as the active ingredient, but in the chelated forms the copper is combined
with other compounds to help prevent the loss of active copper from the
water."

~Semper Fi~

Old 29-06-2007, 12:18 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

"George" wrote:
"BoyPete" wrote in message
George wrote:
"BoyPete" wrote in message
George wrote:
"Paul" wrote in message

[...]

Thanks, Nick. That will work great for determining the salinity! (note
sarcasm) lol

George

Old 29-06-2007, 12:18 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

wrote in message
. com...
they live off the level of nitrates that are below testing levels. I
have never had a healthy pond test anything but zero to all three
tests. Ingrid

Are you saying that you've never had a healthy pond that didn't have zero
levels of nitrates? If so, you are one of the few out there that have.

Old 29-06-2007, 04:24 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

"George" wrote:
"BoyPete" wrote in message
George wrote:
"BoyPete" wrote in message
George wrote:
"Paul" wrote in message

[...]

You're welcome, Gearge. Please note regarding the other suggestion of a
hydrometer that a hydrometer is an instrument used for determining the
specific gravity of liquids, without regard to the substance that varies it
from 1.0000, whether battery acid, alcohol, sugar, salt, etc. (Note lack of
sarcasm - I find yours rather disappointing)

~Semper Fi~

Rate This Thread: