Old 27-06-2007, 09:05 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Default Algae in corners of pond

I have just posted a question about my pump. Now i noticed a lot of string
type algae in the corners of the pond and a lot of algae in the filters them
selves, but the water is clear and test strips say water is good. I made a
skippy type filter which worked great last year, but this year, not so
great. Have the same amount of fish. My water hyacinths are doing really
poor. They won't grow, just seem to turn brown or just stay the same....Any
help? Thanks......................

Old 27-06-2007, 10:06 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Wed, 27 Jun 2007 02:05:44 CST, "Paul" wrote:

I have just posted a question about my pump. Now i noticed a lot of string
type algae in the corners of the pond and a lot of algae in the filters them
selves, but the water is clear and test strips say water is good. I made a
skippy type filter which worked great last year, but this year, not so
great. Have the same amount of fish. My water hyacinths are doing really
poor. They won't grow, just seem to turn brown or just stay the same....Any
help? Thanks......................

Dying WH are a good indication of possible too high a pH. What are the
numbers on your test strips claiming? What is the expiration date of the
strips? ~ jan
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

Old 27-06-2007, 01:02 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Your algae growth suggests that your other plants are not growing
strongly. When they do, the algae can't compete. It's growth just
says there are nutrients not being grabbed by stronger plants. You
are surely right to point to poor growth by your other plants. Jan
and others will make suggestions about helping them have a growth
environment. You can pull the string algae with a brush and remove
the nutrients it has captured. Pulling it is an aesthetic decision.
It will die back once it gets out-competed.

Jim

Old 27-06-2007, 07:38 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Well according to test strips these are the results: Nitrate 0 Nitrite 0
Ttl Hardness 150ppm Ttl Alkalinity Moderate/80ppm Ph 8.0. The date
stamped on botton is 03/2006 A lot of algae is in the filter
itself...............Thanks

Old 27-06-2007, 07:57 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

"Paul" wrote in message
. ..
Well according to test strips these are the results: Nitrate 0 Nitrite
0
Ttl Hardness 150ppm Ttl Alkalinity Moderate/80ppm Ph 8.0. The
date
stamped on botton is 03/2006 A lot of algae is in the filter
itself...............Thanks

The Ph seems to be really high for a freshwater pond. I keep mine at 7.4
or below. I also find it very hard to believe that your nitrate levels are
0. If there are no nitrates in the water, what is the algae feeding off
of? I think you may want to consider getting another nitrate kit and
re-testing the water. I'd also try to slowly get that Ph down. I'd
probably go ahead and clean the filter as well. Hope this helps.

George

Old 27-06-2007, 07:58 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

"Paul" wrote in message
. ..
Well according to test strips these are the results: Nitrate 0 Nitrite
0
Ttl Hardness 150ppm Ttl Alkalinity Moderate/80ppm Ph 8.0. The
date
stamped on botton is 03/2006 A lot of algae is in the filter
itself...............Thanks

I also meant to ask you if you've tested the water you are adding to the
pond.

George

Old 27-06-2007, 08:02 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

"Paul" wrote in message
. ..
Well according to test strips these are the results: Nitrate 0 Nitrite
0
Ttl Hardness 150ppm Ttl Alkalinity Moderate/80ppm Ph 8.0. The
date
stamped on botton is 03/2006 A lot of algae is in the filter
itself...............Thanks

Another thing. If algae is growing in the filter, then I take it that the
filter is exposed to sunlight. I'd change that unless you are talking
about a veggie filter. My filters are fully enclosed, and so no sunlight
gets in. Some algae does occasionally grow on the outside of the submerged
pre-filter canister, however, but that's almost never a problem. But
remember, algae is not necessarily a bad thing. It can be unsightly and
runaway growth is an indication of an imbalance, but you are always going
to have some algae, and that is actually a good thing. You just want to
try to grow the right kind of algae. Do you have any pictures of your pond
and your filtration system that you can post on a photo web site, and post
a link here for us to look at? That would be appreciated. I would try to
get that Ph down (which may be affecting your plants) and get a new nitrate
test kit.

George

Old 27-06-2007, 08:57 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Well according to test strips these are the results: Nitrate 0 Nitrite 0
Ttl Hardness 150ppm Ttl Alkalinity Moderate/80ppm Ph 8.0. The date
stamped on botton is 03/2006 A lot of algae is in the filter
itself...............Thanks

What is the highest reading the pH on the strips goes to? If only 8.0, it
could be much higher. What is the % of salt currently in the water?

If there is not a problem with your fish, there is no need for salt...
unless you have a nitrite reading. The strips though are not the way to go
for reading that, just not reliable enough, plus they're pricey if using 1
or more/day.

Expired 3/06? They either are way out of date, or expired 3/07, which still
means expired. I highly recommend getting liquid test kits. American
Pharmaceuticals... Or better, easier, a tad more money, but you can buy
refills rather than the whole kit, Nutrafin/Hagen test kits. They're test
for Ammonia is instant read (no 5 minute wait), and only 1 bottle needed,
doesn't show ammonia when Amquel used. Get the Wide Range pH kit.

I haven't tried their Nitrite or KH kit, but I plan to switch entirely over
to their kits when next I purchase. Plus they have a very clear expiration
date printed on the box. ~ jan
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

Old 27-06-2007, 10:50 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

George wrote:
"Paul" wrote in message
. ..
Well according to test strips these are the results: Nitrate 0 Nitrite 0
Ttl Hardness 150ppm Ttl Alkalinity Moderate/80ppm Ph 8.0. The
date
stamped on botton is 03/2006 A lot of algae is in the filter
itself...............Thanks

The Ph seems to be really high for a freshwater pond. I keep mine at
7.4 or below.

My pond, now 13 months old, has always given 8 to 8.5 for Ph. I've had no
problems.
I have some string algae, and the pond planting is going wild! Algae is a
fact of life, I wouldn't worry about it.
--
ßôyþëtë
London, UK

Old 28-06-2007, 12:08 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

"BoyPete" wrote in message
George wrote:
"Paul" wrote in message
. ..
Well according to test strips these are the results: Nitrate 0 Nitrite
0
Ttl Hardness 150ppm Ttl Alkalinity Moderate/80ppm Ph 8.0. The
date
stamped on botton is 03/2006 A lot of algae is in the filter
itself...............Thanks

The Ph seems to be really high for a freshwater pond. I keep mine at
7.4 or below.

My pond, now 13 months old, has always given 8 to 8.5 for Ph. I've had no
problems.
I have some string algae, and the pond planting is going wild! Algae is a
fact of life, I wouldn't worry about it.
--
ßôyþëtë
London, UK

Is that the Ph of London municipal water? Sounds like seawater to me.
What's your salinity?

George

Old 28-06-2007, 01:21 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

American Pharmaceuticals...

Should read Aquarium Pharmaceuticals. s ~ jan
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

Old 28-06-2007, 01:24 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

"George" wrote in message

The Ph seems to be really high for a freshwater pond. I keep mine at 7.4
or below. I also find it very hard to believe that your nitrate levels
are 0.

The algae may be soaking it up.

If there are no nitrates in the water, what is the algae feeding off
of?

That's where it's probably going!

I think you may want to consider getting another nitrate kit and
re-testing the water. I'd also try to slowly get that Ph down. I'd
probably go ahead and clean the filter as well. Hope this helps.

My ponds are always over 8 and the plants thrive. If the plants start
looking puny I add a heaping Tbs. of Potash per 1000g. In days they perk
up. I read that here years ago. :-)
--

RM....
Frugal ponding since 1995.

Old 28-06-2007, 04:19 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

"Reel McKoi" wrote in message

"George" wrote in message

The Ph seems to be really high for a freshwater pond. I keep mine at
7.4 or below. I also find it very hard to believe that your nitrate
levels are 0.

The algae may be soaking it up.

If there are no nitrates in the water, what is the algae feeding off
of?

That's where it's probably going!

There has to be some, otherwise the algae would not continue to grow.

George

Old 28-06-2007, 06:35 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

"George" wrote:
"Reel McKoi" wrote in message
"George" wrote in message

The Ph seems to be really high for a freshwater pond. I keep mine at
7.4 or below. I also find it very hard to believe that your nitrate
levels are 0.

The algae may be soaking it up.

If there are no nitrates in the water, what is the algae feeding off
of?

That's where it's probably going!

There has to be some, otherwise the algae would not continue to grow.

Check out http://www.appliedbiochemists.com/cutrine.htm for algae control.
It's fish friendly.

~Semper Fi~

Rate This Thread: