Old 27-06-2007, 08:02 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Default Steve is building a pond!

http://www.geocities.com/erviservy/pond/ThePond.htm

Hi everybody, I hang out on "the freshwater aquarium" every now and
again, less since I've become a pond nut. I still have my planted
aquariums in the house, but they don't get quite as much attention as
they used to. I did spring for some new amazon swords for the big
discus tank. They look happy.

Anyway, here's a quickie web page I put together to show my pond
build.
http://www.geocities.com/erviservy/pond/ThePond.htm

I found a forum called "Koiphen" a while back and got all the help and
hints I could before I started. They really are a nice bunch there. If
you're thinking about building a pond, or re-doing one you already
have, I recommend dropping by there for a visit. The "pond
construction and filtration" forum has everything you'd ever want to
know about building a koi pond.

enjoy!
steve

Old 27-06-2007, 08:56 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
k k is offline

Welcome Steve!
That's some project!
We're glad you found us and look
forward to hearing more about your pond.
Koishack www.koishack.com is another
great reference for serious koi ponders.
(You can never see enough ponds...)

k :-)
http://tinyurl.com/6bguh ~ new pond keeper info
http://tinyurl.com/yp64db ~ slide show of pond

Old 27-06-2007, 08:56 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

build.http://www.geocities.com/erviservy/pond/ThePond.htm

I found a forum called "Koiphen" a while back and got all the help and
hints I could before I started. They really are a nice bunch there. If
you're thinking about building a pond, or re-doing one you already
have, I recommend dropping by there for a visit. The "pond
construction and filtration" forum has everything you'd ever want to
know about building a koi pond.

enjoy!
steve

Kudos to you Steve and welcome to the "Club" (or the obsessed! :-P )
I know what you mean about the aquarium. Mine has been languishing
for about a year now... Still has water and fish in it, some good
algae for them to eat, but talk about neglect! I will remedy that in
a couple of weeks.
Thanks for the tip on the Koiphen group. Will take a look as I am
contemplating expanding my pond just a little bit and could use some
advice on fusing liners or just purchasing a new one (Arrg! That
would be about $800).
Take care and keep up posted!
W Dale

Old 27-06-2007, 09:02 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Looking good so far - wish we could get a digger round the back and I
wasn't having to dig by hand with a spade......

Can't wait to see more pics as the work progresses :-)

Gill

PS the indoor tanks don't need to suffer - just a little more work and
I've got my maintenance down to 20 mins per tank.....

Old 27-06-2007, 10:03 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Hey Steve (Southern greeting!),

Thanks for sharing the great photos of your pond. Keep us posted.

Lots of hard work there!.

Our pond is cement also, but unlined.

Welcome to rpm.

Jim

Old 28-06-2007, 01:18 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Wed, 27 Jun 2007 13:02:51 CST, "Pond, James Pond"
wrote:

http://www.geocities.com/erviservy/pond/ThePond.htm

Wow, Steve, you've got a lot done already.

I found a forum called "Koiphen" a while back and got all the help and
The "pond construction and filtration" forum has everything you'd ever want to
know about building a koi pond.

Darn, I thought for a moment I could take credit for the idea of using the
barrels. ;-) ~ jan
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

Old 28-07-2007, 04:27 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pond, James Pond View Post
[...]

I have built serveral ponds, but I must admit that I have not built one for quite a while. I have created a web sites http://www.gardenfishpond.co.uk and have including some information about planning a building a pond. Take a look it may be usefull to you. If there are any errors then please let me know.

Thanks
Old 31-07-2007, 07:37 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Sat, 28 Jul 2007 15:20:14 CST, bromster
wrote:

I have built serveral ponds, but I must admit that I have not built one
for quite a while. I have created a web sites
http://www.gardenfishpond.co.uk and have including some information
about planning a building a pond. Take a look it may be usefull to you.
If there are any errors then please let me know.

Hi Bromster,

You do have some nice information there, but to title it: The Complete
Garden Fish Pond Guide seemed a bit pretentious? There is nothing about
skimmers, bottom drains, or filters. Nor dealing with the many problems of
a garden pond, from green water to predators.

As you've mentioned you haven't built one for a long time, so you might
want to provide a link to the AKCA website www.akca.com and inform people
to click on Koi Health Advisor where they'll get a menu on detailed pond
construction. Granted it is over the top for most small garden ponds....
but how many think small and it gets bigger & bigger?

I know I always find it interesting that when a person gets friend
interested in a pond the non-ponding friend often ends up with a much
bigger pond. ;-) A possible maintenance nightmare without a skimmer &
bottom drain. ~ jan
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

Old 31-07-2007, 08:24 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

~ jan wrote:
to the AKCA website www.akca.com and
inform people to click on Koi Health Advisor where they'll get a menu
on detailed pond construction. Granted it is over the top for most

BTW that's .org ha a heck of a time getting there, grin

Barbara(OR)

Old 01-08-2007, 02:14 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

~ jan wrote:
to the AKCA website www.akca.com and

BTW that's .org ha a heck of a time getting there, grin
Barbara(OR)

Ooops, thanks for the correction: www.akca.org ~ jan
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

Old 03-08-2007, 09:15 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Thanks for all the replies and kind words. I don't check in here very
often, so a progress report is in order. http://www.geocities.com/erviservy/pond/ThePond.htm
has changed so please click in for an update. I started page 2 to
keep the picture loading time lower.

Can't wait to get home from work today and take on another mini
project. Even since those latest pictures, the WF filter barrel is now
covered with slats and a top; More grasses planted; Bog is filled and
a small retaining wall is built in the corner to keep the sloped
garden dirt out of the pond.

Now that the pond is working and the fish are in and adjusted, I try
to keep my projects smaller so I can accomplish them more leisurly.
It's fun to make small incremental improvements. It was almost scary
and de-energizing at times when the "hole thing" needed to be built.
And some days, if I want, I just sit there and enjoy it!!

steve

Old 10-03-2011, 07:29 PM
Registered User

There you have some good information, but its title: The Complete Guide Garden pond seemed a bit arrogant? No skimmer, bottom drain, or filters. Many issues not dealt with a pond, green water from natural enemies.
Pond Kits

Rate This Thread: