Old 06-07-2007, 03:41 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
Me Me is offline

Default Topping off the pond

The water level in the bottom tier of the pond has dropped some with
the heat down here in the Southeast. I want to put some more in but
not sure of the best way. Can I put the hose in the pond and pour the
water conditioner in all at the same time or do I need to put the
water and conditioner in something separate (a trash can?), let it sit
for a little while and then pour it into the pond?

Old 06-07-2007, 05:31 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

We just use a hose and put de-clor. in at the same time. We top off about
once or twice a week depending on temps. Plus we may have a bit of a leak
somewhere. Anyway, we have koi and goldfish, with topping off a couple times
a week with the hose and de-clor. has not affected the water quality or the
fish. Pond is clear, fish are happy, pond is full

ups.com...

Old 06-07-2007, 06:44 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

In article . com,
Me wrote:

The water level in the bottom tier of the pond has dropped some with
the heat down here in the Southeast. I want to put some more in but
not sure of the best way. Can I put the hose in the pond and pour the
water conditioner in all at the same time or do I need to put the
water and conditioner in something separate (a trash can?), let it sit
for a little while and then pour it into the pond?

My 800+ gal pond acccidently got drained to almost 1 ft of water a
couple weeks ago. Stuck the hose in and filled it, and added a few 5
gallon buckets of mixed de-chlor and tap water every so often during the
filling. Fish are fine, and seemed more lively after the water change.
My level drops a few inched every 2-3 weeks to where I just stick the
hose in to fill it back up. I don't even de-chlor it then.

Old 06-07-2007, 06:44 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Fri, 6 Jul 2007 08:41:18 CST, Me wrote:

The water level in the bottom tier of the pond has dropped some with
the heat down here in the Southeast. I want to put some more in but
not sure of the best way. Can I put the hose in the pond and pour the
water conditioner in all at the same time or do I need to put the
water and conditioner in something separate (a trash can?), let it sit
for a little while and then pour it into the pond?

IMO, Best way, is use a carbon filter on the hose end and use chlorine test
to make sure you haven't used up the carbon's capacity.

Next best way, imo, is add the dechlor and let the pond circulate that
around then trickle or spray in the water down the waterfall if you have
one (my method). ~ jan
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

Old 06-07-2007, 10:29 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

This is a good place to add that I hope everyone is not just topping off,
but is taking some of the water out and putting fresh in, about 10%
once/week minimum. ~ jan
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

Old 06-07-2007, 11:27 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

"Me" wrote in message
ups.com...
The water level in the bottom tier of the pond has dropped some with
the heat down here in the Southeast. I want to put some more in but
not sure of the best way. Can I put the hose in the pond and pour the
water conditioner in all at the same time or do I need to put the
water and conditioner in something separate (a trash can?), let it sit
for a little while and then pour it into the pond?

=================================
I add water with a greenhouse or nursery type sprayhead. It makes a course
spray. This helps degass the water on it's way to the water surface.
Unless I'm adding more than around 25% I don't bother with dechloring the
water. We don't have much in our tap water.
--

RM....
Frugal ponding since 1995.

Old 07-07-2007, 12:02 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

"Reel McKoi" wrote:

"Me" wrote in message
ups.com...
The water level in the bottom tier of the pond has dropped some with
the heat down here in the Southeast. I want to put some more in but
not sure of the best way. Can I put the hose in the pond and pour the
water conditioner in all at the same time or do I need to put the
water and conditioner in something separate (a trash can?), let it sit
for a little while and then pour it into the pond?

=================================
I add water with a greenhouse or nursery type sprayhead. It makes a course
spray. This helps degass the water on it's way to the water surface.
Unless I'm adding more than around 25% I don't bother with dechloring the
water. We don't have much in our tap water.

I've seen this mentioned before. Doesn't seem like spraying water in the air
would have any effect on the chlorine level of the water once it hit the
pond. Can you expand this further?

Also, to the original poster, you should find out if your municipality uses
chloramine instead of just chlorine in your tap water. The chlorine will
dissipate fairly soon. The chloramine will not and it needs to be treated.
See this for more than you'll ever want to know about the subject:

http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/20...ture/index.php

San Diego Joe
4,000 - 5,000 Gallons.
Koi, Goldfish, and RES named Colombo.

Old 07-07-2007, 02:08 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

This is the way I add water to our pond for topping off - "aerating" the
water helps dissipate the chlorine, Not Chloramine - if your municipal water
has chloramine, you need a de-chlor
Gale :~)

Old 07-07-2007, 03:34 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

San Diego Joe wrote:

"Reel McKoi" wrote:

I add water with a greenhouse or nursery type sprayhead. It makes a
course
spray. This helps degass the water on it's way to the water surface.
Unless I'm adding more than around 25% I don't bother with dechloring the
water. We don't have much in our tap water.

I've seen this mentioned before. Doesn't seem like spraying water in the
air would have any effect on the chlorine level of the water once it hit
the pond. Can you expand this further?

"Once" it hits the pond, it won't make much difference. If chlorine is used,
though, rather than chloramine, you can get rid of a great deal of it by
increasing the surface area of the added water by spraying.

Also, to the original poster, you should find out if your municipality
uses chloramine instead of just chlorine in your tap water.

That would be the key.

The chlorine
will dissipate fairly soon. The chloramine will not and it needs to be
treated.

I'm less than convinced (and references to reef aquarium literature don't
help). A pond is a massive (compared to an aquarium) biological process
and between UV from sunlight and bacterial action, I don't think chloramine
bonds hold up very long.

Any amount of chlorine (and ammonia - the "amine" part of chloramine) is
hard on your fish, but small (I'd say less than 5%) amounts get processed
pretty well by the pond.
--
derek
- Unless otherwise noted, I speak for myself, not rec.ponds.moderated

Old 09-07-2007, 01:37 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

==========
I've seen this mentioned before. Doesn't seem like spraying water in the
air
would have any effect on the chlorine level of the water once it hit the
pond. Can you expand this further?

The chlorine, a gas, escapes from the streams of water BEFORE the water hits
the ponds surface. Probably not all of it but most of it, as it does work.
I was also told or read it picks up oxygen on it's way through the air.

Also, to the original poster, you should find out if your municipality
uses
chloramine instead of just chlorine in your tap water.

Yep! That can be a problem that needs a chemical cure.

Old 09-07-2007, 03:50 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

In article ,
~ jan wrote:

This is a good place to add that I hope everyone is not just topping off,
but is taking some of the water out and putting fresh in, about 10%
once/week minimum. ~ jan
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

10% is quite a bit for once a week! I've never done this in many years
of having a pond. Maybe every couple months. Water has always been
manageable.

Old 09-07-2007, 05:18 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Jul 6, 8:41 am, Me wrote:
The water level in the bottom tier of the pond has dropped some with
the heat down here in the Southeast. I want to put some more in but
not sure of the best way. Can I put the hose in the pond and pour the
water conditioner in all at the same time or do I need to put the
water and conditioner in something separate (a trash can?), let it sit
for a little while and then pour it into the pond?

I have a 35 gallon container near the pond! I fill that up with water
and add the dechlor,deammoniator - Denver water has ammonia in it! I
let it age, then I siphon it in as needed!

Old 09-07-2007, 09:27 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Sun, 8 Jul 2007 20:50:56 CST, Kurt wrote:

10% is quite a bit for once a week! I've never done this in many years
of having a pond. Maybe every couple months. Water has always been
manageable.

And I use to only do a 20-25% change once a month, but the experts (keep in
mind these are strict koi pond people) say for best results, flow thru.
Next best, once/week. I think with a garden pond we have a lot more
leeway... and if your tests are good, and your water is clear, if it isn't
broke... applies. ;-) ~ jan
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

Old 09-07-2007, 03:25 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Kurt wrote:

In article ,
~ jan wrote:

This is a good place to add that I hope everyone is not just topping off,
but is taking some of the water out and putting fresh in, about 10%
once/week minimum. ~ jan

10% is quite a bit for once a week! I've never done this in many years
of having a pond. Maybe every couple months. Water has always been
manageable.

Sure it's a lot, but it would make for a healthier pond. I'd disagree
with "minimum", though. Most ponders don't manage to change that much, and
most ponders don't have serious problems. I suspect that it depends
greatly on evaporation (Jan lives in the desert), and fish load.
--
derek
- Unless otherwise noted, I speak for myself, not rec.ponds.moderated
moderators.

Rate This Thread:

[IMG] code is On

Topping off pond Newbie Bill Ponds 4 21-12-2004 06:48 AM
Topping off water or auto fill valve? RedForeman ©® Ponds 9 21-09-2004 11:30 AM
Topping off water or auto fill valve? RedForeman ©® Ponds 0 16-09-2004 09:10 PM
Topping off water or auto fill valve? RedForeman ©® Ponds 0 16-09-2004 09:10 PM
Topping off pond question claude rogers Ponds 27 04-06-2003 07:56 PM