GardenBanter.co.uk

-   Ponds (moderated) (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/ponds-moderated/)
-   -   looks like a raccoon visit - picture (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/ponds-moderated/161828-looks-like-raccoon-visit-picture.html)

k 17-07-2007 06:53 PM

looks like a raccoon visit - picture

Woke up this morning to this
http://tinyurl.com/2wjjlt

This is what the island normally looks like
http://tinyurl.com/39e6n3

The labradors shot out the door and went on a sniff
frenzy. To me, the damage and the sniff frenzy, looks
to be raccoon(s). The girls treed three of them this
winter and they never go on a sniff frenzy when the
heron visits.

I do not plan to take any defensive action. Just think it's
interesting to see the interaction of nature in the suburban
backyard.

I'll post the predator hints on another thread for those folks who can
use them. Jan and I did a bit of revising on them.

k :-)

Russel Sprout 18-07-2007 12:50 AM

looks like a raccoon visit - picture

"k" wrote in message
oups.com...
Woke up this morning to this
http://tinyurl.com/2wjjlt

This is what the island normally looks like
http://tinyurl.com/39e6n3

That happened to my iris patch today. No raccoons around here though, just
children frog hunting!

John M. Darnielle 18-07-2007 12:51 AM

"k" wrote in message
oups.com...
Woke up this morning to this
http://tinyurl.com/2wjjlt

This is what the island normally looks like
http://tinyurl.com/39e6n3

The labradors shot out the door and went on a sniff
frenzy. To me, the damage and the sniff frenzy, looks
to be raccoon(s). The girls treed three of them this
winter and they never go on a sniff frenzy when the
heron visits.

I do not plan to take any defensive action. Just think it's
interesting to see the interaction of nature in the suburban
backyard.

I'll post the predator hints on another thread for those folks who can
use them. Jan and I did a bit of revising on them.

k :-)

If you do decide to stop turning the other cheek, traps with fresh bait (the
humane cage kind) are very effective at catching raccoons, who can't seem to
leave a nice meal of blueberrys, ketchup and saltine crackers alone. Take
raccoon to the nearest forested area with water and poof! problem solved.

John

San Diego Joe 18-07-2007 02:25 AM

"John M. Darnielle" wrote:

"k" wrote in message
[...]

The one downside to live trapping I can see is catching the mother and
relocating her but not her offspring. Also, at least in California, it is
illegal to relocate animals.

San Diego Joe
4,000 - 5,000 Gallons.
Koi, Goldfish, and RES named Colombo.

Kurt[_2_] 19-07-2007 05:42 AM

looks like a raccoon visit - picture

"k" wrote in message
oups.com...
Woke up this morning to this
http://tinyurl.com/2wjjlt

This is what the island normally looks like
http://tinyurl.com/39e6n3

The labradors shot out the door and went on a sniff
frenzy. To me, the damage and the sniff frenzy, looks
to be raccoon(s). The girls treed three of them this
winter and they never go on a sniff frenzy when the
heron visits.

I do not plan to take any defensive action. Just think it's
interesting to see the interaction of nature in the suburban
backyard.

I'll post the predator hints on another thread for those folks who can
use them. Jan and I did a bit of revising on them.

k :-)

Sorry folks, there's going to be balance of nature evening things out
any time you try to alter it.

Hate the thought that things need to be killed (or "removed") for the
sake of our artificially created environments, but I vastly prefer the
idea of creating a more harmonious (or perhaps symbiotic) environment
for all.

Would you position a bird feeder down where the cats can get them-
knowing they have cats in the yard?

Many ponders inadvertently do the same thing.

Cats come in my yard, so the bird feeders are up high and food is
trapped on lower (but elevated) tiers where birds can escape easily. I
designed it that way.
Cats stay away from pond ( We had cats, so I knew how they were), and
since no predators otherwise, I did not need to design anything else
into pond to keep fish and plants happy.'

If I lived a few miles North (in Ojai) I'd have grates over the pond to
keep raccoons/herons out. Wouldn't have thought twice about doing that.

Phyllis and Jim 19-07-2007 03:59 PM

looks like a raccoon visit - picture

Wow! They really liked your playground!

Jim

Bonnie 21-07-2007 03:11 AM

looks like a raccoon visit - picture

Maybe the girls should start camping outdoors in
the evening. I'm sure they'd make a plenty of noise
to scare off the critters.
I wonder what the labs would do to the ground hog
that has been visiting my pond? It does a pretty good
job of trimming the water celery - but I don't like the
hole it's taking to dig under my porch!
Bonnie
NJ

chatnoir 21-07-2007 04:05 AM

On Jul 17, 10:53 am, k wrote:
Woke up this morning to thishttp://tinyurl.com/2wjjlt

This is what the island normally looks likehttp://tinyurl.com/39e6n3

The labradors shot out the door and went on a sniff
frenzy. To me, the damage and the sniff frenzy, looks
to be raccoon(s). The girls treed three of them this
winter and they never go on a sniff frenzy when the
heron visits.

I do not plan to take any defensive action. Just think it's
interesting to see the interaction of nature in the suburban
backyard.

I'll post the predator hints on another thread for those folks who can
use them. Jan and I did a bit of revising on them.

k :-)

Let the Labs stay out at night! I Have my pond surrounded by four
feet high chicken wire! On top of that I have a frame and pond
netting covering the pond to about 6.5 feet high! Had four young
coons all over the structure for the last three nights! They did not
get in! Did not see the mother, so maybe something happened to her!
My grape vines look like your destroyed pond island; but they did not
break through the bird netting! Last year I had two adult raccoons do
the same thing as these youngsters! They devestated the grape vines;
but they also did not get through the bird netting!

chatnoir 21-07-2007 06:19 AM

looks like a raccoon visit - picture

On Jul 18, 9:42 pm, Kurt wrote:
In article , "Smitty"
wrote:

I have a live cage. Then they go to the woods far away. Skunks are the worst.
This year I've caught over 30 opossums. Five raccons. Three skunks. I have to
call the critter guy for the Skunks. Don't know what he does with them. I
don't ask. I have had my cat tails looking just like your Iris. You have to
do something, or the whole family shows up, and they "will" destroy
everything. Good luck!

"k" wrote in message
roups.com...
[...]

Well, the one frog in my pond is so big that the cats are
intimidated! The hissing and the puffing up by the frog works wonders
in making the cats rethink their attack!

chip 21-07-2007 06:20 AM

chatnoir wrote:
I Have my pond surrounded by four
feet high chicken wire! On top of that I have a frame and pond
netting covering the pond to about 6.5 feet high!
My grape vines look like your destroyed pond island; but they did not
break through the bird netting!

OK, I understand that we have encroached on nature and ponds should
expect some predators. But the above seems to me to be a little over
the top. Didn't most of us get into this situation because we wanted to
sit by the pond with a favorite beverage, and gaze upon our creation and
enjoy it.

Can you really see the pond with a 6.5 foot fence around it?

Chip

Kurt[_2_] 21-07-2007 06:54 AM

looks like a raccoon visit - picture

In article .com,
chatnoir wrote:

On Jul 17, 10:53 am, k wrote:
[...]

My goodness- It's a regular wild animal refuge at your place!
I don't know how I'd deal with that rural of living.

Would probably keep a simpler pond with a heavy grate over it.

Raccoons can be pretty brazen.

chatnoir 21-07-2007 09:14 AM

On Jul 20, 10:20 pm, Chip wrote:
chatnoir wrote:

I Have my pond surrounded by four feet high chicken wire! On top of that I have a frame and pond
netting covering the pond to about 6.5 feet high!
My grape vines look like your destroyed pond island; but they did not
break through the bird netting!

OK, I understand that we have encroached on nature and ponds should
expect some predators. But the above seems to me to be a little over
the top. Didn't most of us get into this situation because we wanted to
sit by the pond with a favorite beverage, and gaze upon our creation and
enjoy it.

Can you really see the pond with a 6.5 foot fence around it?

Chip

Not really! The pond is actually part of a cat enclosure! It is part
of a 30 by 60 foot enclosure! It keeps my cats interested! Otherwise
it keeps my cats from during their speciality out in nature - killing
or being killed! I think that helps the creations outside of the pond
and enclosure from being inflicted by 5 cats intent on killing or
being killed!

Kurt[_2_] 21-07-2007 07:43 PM

looks like a raccoon visit - picture

In article . com,
chatnoir wrote:

On Jul 20, 10:20 pm, Chip wrote:
chatnoir wrote:

[...]

Lots of cats in our yard lately, and while they drink from the pond,
they leave the fish alone. Would be a different story if we have frogs
around here (and I won't introduce any).

[email protected] 21-07-2007 09:53 PM

looks like a raccoon visit - picture

I want my pond with a whole greenhouse around it. the pond is for my
koi. I have a koi pond, not a pond with koi. Ingrid