Old 09-08-2007, 11:29 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
k k is offline

Default another snake story

Rattlesnakes abound around here.
DH saw two the other day while taking
the watergardening labradors for a hike.

In today's local paper ~
Headless Rattlesnake bites Man
http://tinyurl.com/2wz6ko

(I think it is more 'bodyless rattlesnake bites
man', but it whatever the guy has a story to
tell!)

k :-)

Old 10-08-2007, 02:51 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

There is an old line about snakes noy dying until sundown. Their
nervous systems carry on where ours stop. Our kids collect water
mocassins from the lake nearby (They are a danger to swimmers). If
you take the head off, it can bite you for four or five hours! Our
rule has been 'crush the head'. That works well.

Jim

Old 10-08-2007, 02:51 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

k wrote:

Rattlesnakes abound around here.
DH saw two the other day while taking
the watergardening labradors for a hike.

In today's local paper ~
Headless Rattlesnake bites Man
http://tinyurl.com/2wz6ko

(I think it is more 'bodyless rattlesnake bites
man', but it whatever the guy has a story to
tell!)

Thanks for that clarification. I was having some trouble figuring how the
headless rattlesnake could bite.
--
derek

Old 10-08-2007, 08:13 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

"Phyllis and Jim" wrote in message
oups.com...
There is an old line about snakes noy dying until sundown. Their
nervous systems carry on where ours stop. Our kids collect water
mocassins from the lake nearby (They are a danger to swimmers). If
you take the head off, it can bite you for four or five hours! Our
rule has been 'crush the head'. That works well.

=========================
Why not relocate them as we do? We take them to a isolated part of a
nearby lake and let them go.
--
RM....
Frugal ponding since 1995.

Old 10-08-2007, 09:09 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
k k is offline

I don't think you can convince the snake to stay
in the isolated part of the lake...

k :-)

Old 10-08-2007, 11:15 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

"k" wrote in message
ups.com...
I don't think you can convince the snake to stay
in the isolated part of the lake...

k :-)

======================
This is true. It's up the swimmer and waders to be careful. Snakes will
usually stay away from where people are making noise and splashing around.
I'm living here since 1979 and never heard of a swimmer or bather getting a
poisonous snake bite at this lake. I also relocate the bullfrogs and
snapper turtles that come here looking for a free fish dinner.
--

RM....
Frugal ponding since 1995.

Old 11-08-2007, 12:01 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Relocation is an interesting idea. Our lake is a bit small for
relocation to work. Water mocassins take very poorly to being
captured and tend to be very aggressive when disturbed. They are
different from most of the snakes around here. The aggression leaves
kids around the lake (there are a lot of them and it is a long 10 acre
lake) quite at risk. There have been bites when kids were exploring
the shore reeds. We leave the water snakes alone (although they can
also be pretty aggressive...just no venom). We have not thought about
transporting the poisonous snakes to another venue (certainly not
someone else's pond). That would involve folk in capturing the snakes
and a good bit of danger. To date, extermination has been the
response to poisonous snakes.

Jim

Old 11-08-2007, 02:34 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
k k is offline

The time we had the 99% rattlesnake sighting heading
into the familyroom, and you have three small children,
that's when all compassion, common sense, calmness,
rational behavior went out the window!!! In that case death
is the *only* option.

k :-)

Old 11-08-2007, 05:28 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

"k" wrote in message
oups.com...
The time we had the 99% rattlesnake sighting heading
into the familyroom, and you have three small children,
that's when all compassion, common sense, calmness,
rational behavior went out the window!!! In that case death
is the *only* option.

==========================
In a case like this, with the snake in the house, I agree with you. :-)
--

RM....
Frugal ponding since 1995.

Old 11-08-2007, 05:29 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

"Phyllis and Jim" wrote in message
ups.com...
Relocation is an interesting idea. Our lake is a bit small for
relocation to work. Water mocassins take very poorly to being
captured and tend to be very aggressive when disturbed. They are
different from most of the snakes around here. The aggression leaves
kids around the lake (there are a lot of them and it is a long 10 acre
lake) quite at risk. There have been bites when kids were exploring
the shore reeds. We leave the water snakes alone (although they can
also be pretty aggressive...just no venom). We have not thought about
transporting the poisonous snakes to another venue (certainly not
someone else's pond). That would involve folk in capturing the snakes
and a good bit of danger. To date, extermination has been the
response to poisonous snakes.

================================
It's a shame you don't have a creek or river or somewhere safe to release
it. Everything has a purpose and if possible we should try and preserve
life. We're pushing too many other creatures to extinction. But if it's
legal to kill them where you live and they're not endangered, it may be the
best way for you to go.
--

RM....
Frugal ponding since 1995.

Rate This Thread:

[IMG] code is On

Water Snake = Grass Snake? Terry Pinnell United Kingdom 1 15-06-2005 09:11 AM
blog from the bog and the snake story kathy Ponds 0 12-06-2005 03:11 AM
OTish snake story kathy Ponds 3 25-02-2005 03:51 PM
Snake--- cool snake story... Gareee© Ponds 0 04-05-2004 02:02 PM
Snake Traps [safe for you & wont harm the snake] james North Carolina 0 26-04-2003 02:56 AM