Old 10-08-2007, 10:21 PM
Registered User

Default URGENT HELP NEEDED - overflowed garden pond

I was topping up my garden pond last night with tap water via my garden hose and unfortunately, forgot that I'd left it filling up. So came out this evening, pond overflowing with fresh water and crystal clear so presumeably existing water replaced with fresh water and some of my fish are now dead. The remaining 4 fish appear ok but they are at the top of the water sucking for air and are a bit docile. Is there any 'household' material which I can put in the pond tonight, to try to save my remaining fish from dying?
Old 11-08-2007, 05:18 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Fri, 10 Aug 2007 20:04:39 CST, Mr M
wrote:

I was topping up my garden pond last night with tap water via my garden
hose and unfortunately, forgot that I'd left it filling up. So came out
this evening, pond overflowing with fresh water and crystal clear so
presumeably existing water replaced with fresh water and some of my
fish are now dead. The remaining 4 fish appear ok but they are at the
top of the water sucking for air and are a bit docile. Is there any
'household' material which I can put in the pond tonight, to try to
save my remaining fish from dying?

I assume you can't go out and get dechlor? If not, use organics, like dirt
for the chlorine to work on, and aeration, lots & lots of aeration. ~ jan
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

Old 11-08-2007, 06:37 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Especially the air, if you can. Lots of circulation and exposure to
air. Water features on full, etc. Chlorine exits with air exposure.

Jim

Old 11-08-2007, 10:25 PM
Registered User

No it was too late in the evening yesterday, shops were all closed. I picked up some dechlor first thing this morning and introduced it but of the remaining fish, one more had already died, two appeared to be ok but were still at the surface glugging for air and the last was on the shelf near the surface but lying on its side and glugging. I think its only a matter of time for this one unfortunately and he was the largest fish we had. Hoefully, the other two will be ok.

Suffice to say, I will never again forget that I have put the hose in the pond to top it up but we had visitors that night who wanted to see the fish, I noticed the pond wanted topping up when we were out in the garden, I put the hose in and shortly after came indoors. The rest is history as they say
Old 11-08-2007, 10:30 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phyllis and Jim View Post
Especially the air, if you can. Lots of circulation and exposure to
air. Water features on full, etc. Chlorine exits with air exposure.

Jim
Thanks, I've cleaned my pump to ensure it is taking in the maximum amount of water and raised the water inlet hose which discharges the filtered water from my filter into the pond, so the water lands from about 6 inches high and disturbs the water more than if the hose was lower and has more exposure to the air (if you see what I mean)

Old 12-08-2007, 11:08 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Mr M wrote:
I put the hose in and shortly after came indoors. The rest is
history as they say.

This is a sad story, my condolences. But since I never have forgotten
anything, it will never happen to me!!!! :)

However, just in case it does, am I reading that lots of aeration will
automatically handle the declor? In my 16000 gal pond I will have an
automatic water leveler that feeds from the tap on a continuous basis as
the level drops. I am concerned about declor, when and how much. If I
have a fair amount of aeration, a largish waterfall and fountain, will I
have to declor at all?

Chip

Old 12-08-2007, 11:08 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Sat, 11 Aug 2007 21:09:59 CST, Mr M
wrote:

No it was too late in the evening yesterday, shops were all closed. I
picked up some dechlor first thing this morning and introduced it but
of the remaining fish, one more had already died, two appeared to be ok
but were still at the surface glugging for air and the last was on the
shelf near the surface but lying on its side and glugging. I think its
only a matter of time for this one unfortunately and he was the largest
fish we had. Hoefully, the other two will be ok.

Suffice to say, I will never again forget that I have put the hose in
the pond to top it up but we had visitors that night who wanted to see
the fish, I noticed the pond wanted topping up when we were out in the
garden, I put the hose in and shortly after came indoors. The rest is
history as they say

The best you can do for the rest is aeration, as they're gills have been
damaged. They need as much dissolved oxygen put into the water as possible.
Always good to get a timer to put on the faucet. Or set a kitchen timer.
~ jan
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

Old 12-08-2007, 08:49 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

"Mr M" wrote:

'~ jan[_3_ Wrote:
;738308']On Fri, 10 Aug 2007 20:04:39 CST, Mr M

wrote:
-

[...]

So sorry to hear about your fish. I know how attached we get to them.

I'm so paranoid about making the same error, I set a kitchen timer before I
even turn on the water. I also keep dechlor on hand.

San Diego Joe
4,000 - 5,000 Gallons.
Koi, Goldfish, and RES named Colombo.

Old 12-08-2007, 09:57 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

"Chip" wrote in message ...
Mr M wrote:
I put the hose in and shortly after came indoors. The rest is
history as they say.

This is a sad story, my condolences. But since I never have forgotten
anything, it will never happen to me!!!! :)

However, just in case it does, am I reading that lots of aeration will
automatically handle the declor? In my 16000 gal pond I will have an
automatic water leveler that feeds from the tap on a continuous basis as
the level drops. I am concerned about declor, when and how much. If I
have a fair amount of aeration, a largish waterfall and fountain, will I
have to declor at all?

Chip

Depends. Due to the organic load in a pond, small additions can be
accommodated without the use of dechlor. The chlorine is consumed. Larger
additions, cleaner ponds, etc., require dechlor. One of the problems with
an automatic top off, is that if there is a leak in the pond or filtration,
the automatic top off will end up being a major water change that will put
in too much chlorine for the system to consume. If you are going to go with
an automatic system, put a large carbon filter in line in front of the
discharge. When relying on carbon to dechlor the water, periodically check
to be sure the carbon hasn't been used up, by testing for chlorine. It is a
good idea to use two carbon filters in series, check the water between them,
and when you have started detecting chlorine after the first, then switch
the second to first position and install a new filter in second spot. This
will allow some chlorine to get past the spent first filter without it
getting to the pond.

--
RichToyBox
Zone 7A/B Virginia

Old 13-08-2007, 08:33 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Here is an article that explains the reason your fish are gasping for
air. The gills are chemical burned! http://www.vcnet.com/koi_net/finalnet.html
Poisons, Chlorine, Chloramine, and Pollutants By Norm Meck Koi Club
of San Diego 1996

The best way ot prevent this tragedy from ever happening again is to
attach a garden hose chlorine filter to your hose. You can find a
great one for just $32.50 at http://wwww.richdeer3pondsupplies.com.
You should also never no matter how tempting be out of direct site of
a pond or tank that is being refilled!

Old 14-08-2007, 07:01 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

http://www.become.com/shop?q=automatic+water+timer

an automatic timer is the only way I add water to my ponds since I
have city water. it delivers X amount and then shuts off. I used to
be on well water and didnt worry too much, but since moving into the
city I am completely paranoid seeing as how I have walked off and left
water flowing onto my gardens. now I use a timer on my plants too.
that city water costs $$$$$$$$
Ingrid

Old 14-08-2007, 07:01 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

there is some research that even low levels of chlorine can damage
gills setting up stress that leads to infection. I am too paranoid to
have an automatic water leveler just in case a hole appears and starts
draining the pond. aeration inactivates chlorine but not chloramine.
Ingrid

Old 14-08-2007, 07:01 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

polyaqua is a good gill soother. Ingrid

Rate This Thread: