Old 29-08-2007, 01:33 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Default Had a Box turtle pop in for a visit!

We looked out at our pond yesterday, and noticed a lot of disturbance on the
water.. and a box turtle probably 12" square had decided to go for a dip.

The spring fed stream running through our property dried up from the bad
drought this year, and we've seen a few of these guys around over the last
few years we've lived here, so I'm not surprised he popped in for a drink,
and swim to cool off.

No sign of him today, so he prolly wandered off.

--
Gareee
(Gary Tabar Jr.)

Old 02-09-2007, 06:58 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Gareee© wrote:
We looked out at our pond yesterday, and noticed a lot of disturbance on the
water.. and a box turtle probably 12" square had decided to go for a dip.

The spring fed stream running through our property dried up from the bad
drought this year, and we've seen a few of these guys around over the last
few years we've lived here, so I'm not surprised he popped in for a drink,
and swim to cool off.

No sign of him today, so he prolly wandered off.

Box turtles don't get that big. They don't swim either, being wholly
terrestial.

Old 02-09-2007, 08:27 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

I am sad to say that the last box turtle that visited our pond for a
swim left his shell and bones in the pond. We found them a while
later. I hope yours hase had better luck exiting the pond!

We get the occasional water turtle from the local lakes. I think they
must be able to detect water bodies by smell. No way wandering would
get them to our pond, or to our acre pond in the numbers that actually
do come. Has anyone an idea about how turtles find water to visit?

Jim

Old 02-09-2007, 08:51 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

"Dean A. Markley" wrote in message
Gareee© wrote:
We looked out at our pond yesterday, and noticed a lot of disturbance on
the water.. and a box turtle probably 12" square had decided to go for a
dip.

The spring fed stream running through our property dried up from the bad
drought this year, and we've seen a few of these guys around over the
last few years we've lived here, so I'm not surprised he popped in for a
drink, and swim to cool off.

No sign of him today, so he prolly wandered off.

Box turtles don't get that big. They don't swim either, being wholly
terrestial.

My wife goggled him with his pic, and found he was a box turtle of some
sort. She also used to raise them as well, so I go by her identification.

He was in a hour or so, and then left, and wandered off god knows where, and
we've seen them in our yard on and off since we moved here, and there is a
nearby stream. Most likely it's some species that likes both land and water.

--
Gareee
(Gary Tabar Jr.)

Old 02-09-2007, 09:42 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Sun, 2 Sep 2007 12:27:49 CST, Phyllis and Jim
wrote:

We get the occasional water turtle from the local lakes. I think they
must be able to detect water bodies by smell. No way wandering would
get them to our pond, or to our acre pond in the numbers that actually
do come. Has anyone an idea about how turtles find water to visit?
Jim

Water Turtle: A creature always seeking water that is wetter on the other
side. How to get a turtle? Have neighboring ponds add them. ;-) ~ jan
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

Old 02-09-2007, 10:04 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
k k is offline

I read, somewhere, that baby turtles will hatch
out and look for the reflection of the moon and stars
off of water to make their way. Romantic, eh?
It also said that suburbia makes it difficult as baby
turtles would end up clustering around street lights.
Google search tends to support the theory. Don't
remember my original source.

k :-)

Old 03-09-2007, 07:37 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Sun, 2 Sep 2007 12:51:06 CST, "Gareee©"
wrote:

Box turtles don't get that big. They don't swim either, being wholly
terrestial.

My wife goggled him with his pic, and found he was a box turtle of some
sort. She also used to raise them as well, so I go by her identification.

He was in a hour or so, and then left, and wandered off god knows where, and
we've seen them in our yard on and off since we moved here, and there is a
nearby stream. Most likely it's some species that likes both land and water.

Common names on a global community group bring out some interesting
thoughts.

My DIL's family calls painted turtles box turtles and they only live
about 175 miles North of me on a lake. (Water turtle)
http://tinyurl.com/23gz34

Living closer to the Florida line and not so near a lake or body of
water we see these as box turtles. (Terrestrial) Don't know why they
aren't called tortoises, but folks here been calling them turtles all
my life.
http://tinyurl.com/8bl3u
Note under "Fun Facts" the box includes a hinge in the lower part of
the shell.

We also call a local (Southeastern US) tortoise that burrows in the
ground a gopher, or gopher turtle. It may not be correct to the rest
of the world, but that is what we do. We also call the local passion
fruit plant a maypop, because it may pop up anywhere.
--
Hal Middle Georgia, Zone 8
http://tinyurl.com/2fxzcb

Old 03-09-2007, 09:41 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Interesting reading.. young box turtule tend to hunt in water, because they
are more carniverous.. so maybe the guy who visited my pond was looking for
a snack? (We've got fish, frogs, and salamanders in the pond now.) Maybe it
was a good thing my pond is murky now, with low visibility?

--
Gareee
(Gary Tabar Jr.)

Old 04-09-2007, 09:36 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Mon, 3 Sep 2007 13:41:44 CST, "Gareee©"
wrote:

Interesting reading.. young box turtule tend to hunt in water, because they
are more carniverous.. so maybe the guy who visited my pond was looking for
a snack? (We've got fish, frogs, and salamanders in the pond now.) Maybe it
was a good thing my pond is murky now, with low visibility?

Thank you. I didn't know that. I just never found on in a body of
water, but mostly in fields near water.
--
Hal Middle Georgia, Zone 8
http://tinyurl.com/2fxzcb

Rate This Thread:

[IMG] code is On

Box turtle in pond Bill Bunn Ponds 4 26-09-2005 10:25 PM
Should Iallow a box turtle in the pond? Mike Patterson Ponds 16 17-05-2004 08:07 PM
Just Curious, O/T - Box Turtle diet laurie \(Mother Mastiff\) North Carolina 1 29-07-2003 12:03 AM
O/T - Box Turtle diet Bob Adkins Ponds 7 23-07-2003 07:42 PM
O/T - Box Turtle diet Anne Lurie North Carolina 2 23-07-2003 04:32 AM