GardenBanter.co.uk

-   Ponds (moderated) (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/ponds-moderated/)
-   -   DIY Valve Box? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/ponds-moderated/164143-diy-valve-box.html)

Bill Stock 29-08-2007 03:31 AM

DIY Valve Box?

I need to construct an underground valve box to house my Bottom Drain
shutoff. I was originally thinking painted/fibreglass SonoTube, but the guys
over in Home Repair suggested ABS, which I thought would be pricey. But I
see that they make something called a Curb Valve Box for just such usage.
Although I couldn't find one for retail sale.

Any bright and cheap ideas? Valve will be 4 FEET down BTW.

Hal[_1_] 29-08-2007 04:45 PM

DIY Valve Box?

On Tue, 28 Aug 2007 20:31:23 CST, "Bill Stock"
wrote:

I need to construct an underground valve box to house my Bottom Drain
shutoff. I was originally thinking painted/fibreglass SonoTube, but the guys
over in Home Repair suggested ABS, which I thought would be pricey. But I
see that they make something called a Curb Valve Box for just such usage.
Although I couldn't find one for retail sale.

Any bright and cheap ideas? Valve will be 4 FEET down BTW.

Mine is only a couple feet down so I slipped a piece of 4" PVC (I had
one already.) contoured to fit on one end over the 4" knife valve, as
opposed to a ball valve and that works well for me, since I can reach
it with my hand to raise and lower the handle. I keep a wood cover
on it and use an insecticide occasionally to keep spiders out.

I see visions of a long wrench to reach the handle to open and close
the valve. You could build a wood wrench to reach and operate the
valve that would be adequate, even for a plastic handle. To me that
would mean storing another wrench that only I know it's purpose.
--
Hal Middle Georgia, Zone 8
http://tinyurl.com/2fxzcb

Bill Stock 30-08-2007 03:10 AM

DIY Valve Box?

wrote:

[...]

We're on the same wavelength. I ended up buying one of those round sprinkler
boxes, a closet flange and a piece of 4"ABS. The box is not really meant for
underground, but I think it will be OK. The next trick will be a reliable
handle as you mentioned. But I've got a thousand plubing chores before I get
to that. :-)

Phyllis and Jim 30-08-2007 07:01 AM

DIY Valve Box?

Take a pic when you put it in.

Jim

Hal[_1_] 30-08-2007 02:53 PM

DIY Valve Box?

On Wed, 29 Aug 2007 20:10:45 CST, "Bill Stock"
wrote:

We're on the same wavelength. I ended up buying one of those round sprinkler
boxes, a closet flange and a piece of 4"ABS. The box is not really meant for
underground, but I think it will be OK. The next trick will be a reliable
handle as you mentioned. But I've got a thousand plubing chores before I get
to that. :-)

I like the knife/gate because it is much easier for me to operate.
Probably easier to make a T slot or grove near the end of a suitably
dimensioned 2x4 for use as a wrench, than one for a ball valve.

I just Googled 4" knife valve and they are a lot more expensive than
when I bought mine. I would be tempted to leave it out today. I did
clear my 4" drain (It has sweeps, not elbows.) once, but it wasn't a
major job and only took a few minutes with a water hose.
--
Hal Middle Georgia, Zone 8
http://tinyurl.com/2fxzcb