Old 04-09-2007, 03:40 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Default Pond edging ideas - Aestetics check

The old pond had a double ring of serpentine pavers on a shelf to hold the
liner in place. The obligatory lime capstones sat on top of the pavers to
hide them and hold the liner in place. This looked very quaint, but it did
cost me a few gallons for the dirt to support the pavers and this is where I
had some minor slumpage lately.

So I was considering using some 4" timbers held in place with rebar. I would
then wrap the liner over the timber and nail a strip on top of the timber to
hold the liner. But I thought this might put too much pressure on the liner.
I could still cover the timber with my capstones if my construction
supervisor objected. The timbers are PT BTW, but they would be outside of
the liner and I would use some fish safe wood for my nailing strip. I also
thought I might attach my lights to the top of the wood.

Doing without the pavers will allow me 200+ more gallons for the dirt and
possibly 200+ more gallons for the higher water level. Since Koi are a major
reason for the upgrade, more water is good.

I'd like your opinions on the engineering feasibility of attaching the liner
this way (stretching, slumping, shifting rebar) and the loss of the quaint
factor.

Old 04-09-2007, 03:27 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

my current pond is built that way. dont cut any liner at first. fill
the pond let it sit a few days, walk in it. then nail the sucker
down. worked for us. http://weloveteaching.com/mypond/2000/p2000.htm
we used permalon with this pond. Ingrid

Old 05-09-2007, 01:05 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

wrote:

So I was considering using some 4" timbers held in place with rebar. I would
then wrap the liner over the timber and nail a strip on top of the timber to
hold the liner. But I thought this might put too much pressure on the liner.
I could still cover the timber with my capstones if my construction
supervisor objected. The timbers are PT BTW, but they would be outside of
the liner and I would use some fish safe wood for my nailing strip. I also
thought I might attach my lights to the top of the wood.

I had a pond built of PT lawn timbers and EPDM liner that lasted 8 or
10 years. It was well constructed, but settled. I jacked it up and
re-leveled it a couple times, but it continued to leak in the corners
and in lesser amounts that I couldn't see until I took the timbers out
and replaced them with retaining wall stones. I prefer stone and
concrete in future construction. Removing The lag screwed wood frame
pond wasn't as easy as building it.
--
Hal Middle Georgia, Zone 8
http://tinyurl.com/2fxzcb

Old 05-09-2007, 04:13 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

wrote in message
. com...
my current pond is built that way. dont cut any liner at first. fill
the pond let it sit a few days, walk in it. then nail the sucker
down. worked for us. http://weloveteaching.com/mypond/2000/p2000.htm
we used permalon with this pond. Ingrid

Thanks,

I was looking at your pictures recently for ideas on the waterfall
(FastFalls).

Old 05-09-2007, 04:14 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

wrote:

[...]

Yeah, I took out my old retaining wall (only 2 high) recently and I never
did get all the rebar out. I had to slice it up and take it out piece by
piece.

Thanks for the insight, I'm kinda leaning away from the wood frame due to
the extra work. It would not be square (6 or 7 sides), so I'd have to make
several lap joints to get the support I want with one row of timber. At the
rate I'm progressing with my clay, it will be Decemeber before I'm done
digging.

Rate This Thread:

[IMG] code is On

Pond Edging Finish 2pods Ponds 6 17-07-2004 12:08 AM
Pond Edging Finish 2pods Ponds 7 10-07-2004 04:07 PM
wildlife pond edging? Tracey Ponds 6 29-11-2003 04:32 AM
Edging Ideas JRF Ponds 6 26-07-2003 12:32 AM
Pond edging plants Steve Jackson United Kingdom 2 20-02-2003 09:33 PM