Old 05-09-2007, 12:31 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Default Turtles and ponds

Do water turtles crawl away, and do you have to keep them in cages or
are water turtles more like fish, in that they pretty much stay in the
pond? I don't know much about turtles, but I did find in my brief
skimming that some turtles need to eat vegetables, and in the wild
they often consume duckweed. (Maybe the alligator ate the turtles
that were eating the duckweed in back.)
--
Galen Hekhuis
I don't recall...

Old 05-09-2007, 03:14 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

"Galen Hekhuis" wrote:

Do water turtles crawl away, and do you have to keep them in cages or
are water turtles more like fish, in that they pretty much stay in the
pond?

Our turtle walks around a lot. We have a fenced yard that he cannot escape
from. He always returns to the pond after a walkabout.

I don't know much about turtles, but I did find in my brief
skimming that some turtles need to eat vegetables, and in the wild
they often consume duckweed.

Red-eared sliders are typically carnivorous as youth and eat more greens as
they age.

San Diego Joe
4,000 - 5,000 Gallons.
Koi, Goldfish, and RES named Colombo.

Old 05-09-2007, 05:13 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
k k is offline

Turtles like to amble around.
Especially in pursuit of lovely lady turtles.
They need to get out of the water and bask
in the sun to keep themselves healthy.
My turtles always love koi kibble even when
provided with their own turtle chow. Also like
plants and fruits and veggies.

k :-)

Old 05-09-2007, 11:16 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

"Galen Hekhuis" wrote in message
Do water turtles crawl away, and do you have to keep them in cages or
are water turtles more like fish, in that they pretty much stay in the
pond?

==================
The wild baby slider that stayed in our pond for a year was found caught in
the net trying to leave the pond. We relocated him/her to the nearby lake.
--

RM....
Frugal ponding since 1995.

Old 06-09-2007, 09:54 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Sep 4, 5:31 pm, Galen Hekhuis wrote:
Do water turtles crawl away, and do you have to keep them in cages or
are water turtles more like fish, in that they pretty much stay in the
pond? I don't know much about turtles, but I did find in my brief
skimming that some turtles need to eat vegetables, and in the wild
they often consume duckweed. (Maybe the alligator ate the turtles
that were eating the duckweed in back.)
--
Galen Hekhuis
I don't recall...

Well, the Goldfish really eat the Duckweed! Not sure of the turtle!
I supose Raccoons and birds could pick them off too!

Old 08-09-2007, 01:48 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

I'm toying with the idea of keeping turtles in my (unlined) pond. I say
"toying" because there may be some real obstacles. Among them is water
temperature. Are there any "warm water" turtles? I stuck a thermometer in
the pond water and it said 88. Sounds pretty warm to me. Seems like I
might need a low fence (how high can turtles jump?) around the pond. Are
they real territorial and aggressive, or will they live in harmony in
fairly large groups? $1800.95 for a turtle
(http://www.turtlesale.com/home/index...turtles-page-1
and scroll to the bottom)? I can just barely conceive of a turtle selling
for $1800, but I can't figure out the 95 cents at all.

--
Galen Hekhuis
No brain, no pain

Old 08-09-2007, 03:20 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
k k is offline

Galen wrote
Are there any "warm water" turtles? I stuck a thermometer in

the pond water and it said 88. Sounds pretty warm to me. Seems like
might need a low fence (how high can turtles jump?) around the pond.
Are
they real territorial and aggressive, or will they live in harmony in
fairly large groups?

There are lots of turtles in your neck of the woods.
http://plants.ifas.ufl.edu/guide/turtles.html
You can get free turtles by contacting a turtle rehabber.
These nice people take in ill and sick and unwanted turtles
and fix them up. Vets and pet stores usually know where
to find them. A google search might turn some up also.

Turtles can't jump but they can climb and wriggle thru places
you think they wouldn't be able to go.
Most turtles live together fine. Sliders will stack up on each
other to bask. I think snappers are more solitary.

Most importantly they need safe places to baskin the sun. They like
warm temps and spend the winter (depending on how cold
they get) at the bottom of the pond or under a log, depending
on the species. They are temperature driven - it gets cold they
slooooow down.

k :-)

Old 08-09-2007, 03:20 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
k k is offline

http://www.turtlesale.com/home/index...turtles-page-1

Wow! Interesting turtle - who knew you could have a
designer turtle? If you are going to quibble about the
95 cents I guess we can't complain about the $1800.

k :-)

Old 08-09-2007, 03:21 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

"Galen Hekhuis" wrote in message
I'm toying with the idea of keeping turtles in my (unlined) pond. I say
"toying" because there may be some real obstacles. Among them is water
temperature. Are there any "warm water" turtles? I stuck a thermometer
in
the pond water and it said 88. Sounds pretty warm to me. Seems like I
might need a low fence (how high can turtles jump?) around the pond. Are
they real territorial and aggressive, or will they live in harmony in
fairly large groups? $1800.95 for a turtle
(http://www.turtlesale.com/home/index...turtles-page-1
and scroll to the bottom)? I can just barely conceive of a turtle selling
for $1800, but I can't figure out the 95 cents at all.

==============================
That's not what I see there. RES are only $9.95 each. Three for $28.95
etc.
--
RM....
Frugal ponding since 1995.

Old 08-09-2007, 04:07 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Fri, 7 Sep 2007 20:21:24 CST, "Reel McKoi" wrote:

"Galen Hekhuis" wrote in message
.. .
I'm toying with the idea of keeping turtles in my (unlined) pond. I say
"toying" because there may be some real obstacles. Among them is water
temperature. Are there any "warm water" turtles? I stuck a thermometer
in
the pond water and it said 88. Sounds pretty warm to me. Seems like I
might need a low fence (how high can turtles jump?) around the pond. Are
they real territorial and aggressive, or will they live in harmony in
fairly large groups? $1800.95 for a turtle
(http://www.turtlesale.com/home/index...turtles-page-1
and scroll to the bottom)? I can just barely conceive of a turtle selling
for $1800, but I can't figure out the 95 cents at all.

==============================
That's not what I see there. RES are only $9.95 each. Three for $28.95
etc.

Scroll down to the bottom of the page.

--
Galen Hekhuis
No brain, no pain

Old 08-09-2007, 05:39 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Fri, 7 Sep 2007 20:20:31 CST, k wrote:

Galen wrote
Are there any "warm water" turtles? I stuck a thermometer in

the pond water and it said 88. Sounds pretty warm to me. Seems like
might need a low fence (how high can turtles jump?) around the pond.
Are
they real territorial and aggressive, or will they live in harmony in
fairly large groups?

There are lots of turtles in your neck of the woods.
http://plants.ifas.ufl.edu/guide/turtles.html
You can get free turtles by contacting a turtle rehabber.
These nice people take in ill and sick and unwanted turtles
and fix them up. Vets and pet stores usually know where
to find them. A google search might turn some up also.

Free sounds good.

Turtles can't jump but they can climb and wriggle thru places
you think they wouldn't be able to go.

I'm thinking of a low fence, one I can step over with ease, how high can
turtles climb?

Most turtles live together fine. Sliders will stack up on each
other to bask. I think snappers are more solitary.

Most importantly they need safe places to baskin the sun.

Why safe? What eats turtles besides alligators? I can see some critters
getting baby turtles, but it would seem like a real chore as they get
bigger.

They like
warm temps and spend the winter (depending on how cold
they get) at the bottom of the pond or under a log, depending
on the species. They are temperature driven - it gets cold they
slooooow down.

I'll bet I have some really fast turtles then. :^)

--
Galen Hekhuis
No brain, no pain

Old 08-09-2007, 12:15 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

I coulda swore it was illegal to sell red eared sliders in the US, because
of the salmonella thing years ago. I KNOW it was illegal a year or so ago,
because the local pet shop had a BIG fine slapped on them for selling them.

--
Gareee
(Gary Tabar Jr.)

Old 08-09-2007, 12:15 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
k k is offline

I'm thinking of a low fence, one I can step over with ease, how high can
turtles climb?

Depends on the turtle and the structure of the fence. I would angle
the fence in, towards the pond, and I think you'd have success and
still have it low enough to step over.

Why safe? What eats turtles besides alligators? I can see some critters

getting baby turtles, but it would seem like a real chore as they get
bigger.

I mean 'safe' more in the sense the turtle feels safe. They need
lots of basking time in the sun to dry out spots where interlopers
hide,
and dry out fungal infections, to produce the vitamen that keeps their
shells
healthy and the heat of the sun keeps them moving.
An island is ideal, or a floating log.

k :-)

Old 08-09-2007, 03:22 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Hi all..

@ K:
(how high can turtles jump?)

Well the most common pet bog turtle here is the red-eared
slider. Had them many years..

These guys are able to do both: climbing and digging..

http://plants.ifas.ufl.edu/guide/turtles.html

Wow.., what a great variety of turtles in Florida..! :-)

Several of these species look similar to sliders..

@ Galen:
I'm thinking of a low fence, one I can step over with
ease, how high can turtles climb?

Sounds good but I'd recommend to dig the fence 10cm deep
(~4")..

What eats turtles besides alligators?

Hmm.., dogs, big cats, raccoons, birds of prey might catch
and eat respectively injure them while playing around with
them..

They are wild animals and will always stay wild means
they're always attentive. They're able to see very well and
if there's any movement or disturbance they'll flee into
water..

An artificial island made of wood or cork and something like
a brigde (hope bridge is the right word) to climb out of
water were fine. An island with a observations deck 20-30cm
(8-12") above water surface were ideal, too..

Different to sunbathing human beeings they're alway used to
monitor the area around them..

I'll bet I have some really fast turtles then. :^)

Have fun.. :-)

--
cu
Marco