Old 08-09-2007, 10:34 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Default Pond construction update

Well I finished levelling the sides and raising parts. In the end I
didn't use the planter idea as it just looked silly. Tomorrow I'll check
the levels and make minor adjustments if necessary, measure the thing as
I have no idea how big it is and then it is off to buy the fleece and
the liner.....

Feels like it has taken for ever.....but at least it looks like an empty
pond now rather than a major excavation work :-). Rest of that part of
the garden looks a mess though it'll keep me busy for weeks trying to
clear it up.

Gill

Old 09-09-2007, 07:49 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Sep 8, 2:34 pm, Gill Passman wrote:
Well I finished levelling the sides and raising parts. In the end I
didn't use the planter idea as it just looked silly. Tomorrow I'll check
the levels and make minor adjustments if necessary, measure the thing as
I have no idea how big it is and then it is off to buy the fleece and
the liner.....

Feels like it has taken for ever.....but at least it looks like an empty
pond now rather than a major excavation work :-). Rest of that part of
the garden looks a mess though it'll keep me busy for weeks trying to
clear it up.

Gill

Are we having fun yet?
As soon as the weather here in Phoenix permits (probably Oct.) I'm
going to tear mine apart too and start over. Try to install a bottom
drain and a skimmer and hide the filtration etc.
Get up some pic for us when you get a chance.

Chris

Old 10-09-2007, 08:09 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Dude wrote:

Are we having fun yet?

Oh yes :-)

Liner is in and so is the water (took around 7 hours to fill it - will
need to do some guesstimating of the the volume). I added some plants
today as well - I know it is a bit late in the season here but I wanted
something to look at rather than a black liner full of water. Plus it
has the additional benefit that they are all reduced to clear :-)

As soon as the weather here in Phoenix permits (probably Oct.) I'm
going to tear mine apart too and start over. Try to install a bottom
drain and a skimmer and hide the filtration etc.

Summer seems to have long last decided to turn up here in the UK and
we've had some great days - not too hot though - low 70s....just right
for working outside. Right now I'm working on trimming and covering the
lining and have got some building up to do in one corner (it was about
1/2" too low).....

Get up some pic for us when you get a chance.

Should have some pics by the weekend....

Gill

Chris

Old 10-09-2007, 09:21 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
k k is offline

I remember the first morning after we filled
our pond. I went out and found an aquatic
bug swimming around in it. Probably a boatman
beetle as I recall. I read up on them and found
out they take to the air and look for light
reflected off of water. You can catch aquatic
bugs by wetting a piece of black plastic
overnight. Kind of a mean trick to play on
them.
Enjoy your belated summer!
k :-)

Old 11-09-2007, 02:02 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

"k" wrote in message
oups.com...
I remember the first morning after we filled
our pond. I went out and found an aquatic
bug swimming around in it. Probably a boatman
beetle as I recall. I read up on them and found
out they take to the air and look for light
reflected off of water. You can catch aquatic
bugs by wetting a piece of black plastic
overnight. Kind of a mean trick to play on
them.
Enjoy your belated summer!
k :-)

I remember when both of our ponds were just liner, and that's right, the
water beetle appeared both times .

peter

Old 11-09-2007, 04:51 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Mon, 10 Sep 2007 13:09:06 CST, Gill Passman
wrote:

Liner is in and so is the water (took around 7 hours to fill it - will
need to do some guesstimating of the the volume).

This might be helpful.
http://www.perigee.net/~jrjohns/volcalc.html
--
Hal Middle Georgia, Zone 8
http://tinyurl.com/2fxzcb

Old 11-09-2007, 10:08 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Hi Gill..

Gill Passman wrote..:

Should have some pics by the weekend....

Fine..
--
cu
Marco

Old 12-09-2007, 01:22 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Congratulations on the progress. We will all look for wonderful
pics...of you!

Jim

Old 12-09-2007, 04:44 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

2pods wrote:

I remember when both of our ponds were just liner, and that's right, the
water beetle appeared both times .

peter

Haven't spotted any water beetles yet - just some leaves from the bamboo
where I've been bashing the plants to get the edging rocks in (note to
self - buy a net to clear these out and go rake up those lying on the
garden) - but I guess I'm not encouraging anything to arrive with all
the activity trying to finish it off

Gill

Rate This Thread: